Page 72 of 81 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1603

Thread: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

There are many things that affect attendance. Good (winning) basketball will get more in the seats.

I think the local paper has hurt KWC for many years. It seems to be getting better time will tell. Local kids that are active on campus and good stories in the MI and winning would get more to the SC.

There is NOT a team or their coaches that deserves more support than KWC WBB. Good players, good kids, good role models, good basketball, a real team, etc.

Findlay-1068
    KWC-1055
    Cedarville-901
    Alderson-647
    Walsh-594
    Hillsdale- 546
    Trevecca-469
    Ohio Dominican-441
    Malone- 401
    Davis and Elikins- 329
    Tiffin- 256
    Ohio Valley-237
    Lake Erie- 166

1055 per game at home in a 5,000 seat arena. How many of those counted in attendance are regular season ticket holders? In the past all regular season ticket holders were counted in the attendance whether they were at the games or not. I assume that is still the case because tickets are sold for all home games to regular season ticket holders, which I am pretty sure is also down. It is true that all D2 programs are mostly averaging less people per game than years ago. If TV is destroying college basketball attendance, why is it that DI Programs still fill huge arenas? DI games are mostly the only games you will find on television. I think D2 basketball has lost a lot of luster and local support across the entire Division II spectrum.

We'll see how the attendance does after the next five games, and how the attendance finishes. However, the average attendance this season would shock previous coaching staffs. Anyone who has followed Wesleyan basketball knows the program is just a shell of what it use to be in terms of wins and in terms of attendance. That is a fact, and I don't see it changing anytime soon. The point is 1,055 in average TICKET SALES is about as low as I have ever seen it. If anyone can dispute that with a factual statistic, please do. The program this year is about as far removed from any conference, regional or national tournament aspirations as I have ever seen. Losing at home to Salem and an NAIA team in the Thanksgiving tournament is the worst Thanksgiving tournament play I have ever seen.

Even the GLVC attendance is down and when Wesleyan left the GLVC it hurt the GLVC and it hurt KWC. I see no great advantages in the conference move now. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I really don't know how the administration or the BOT feels about the athletic program now.
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask...Attendance.pdf
    Last edited by alumnifan; 01-11-2019 at 01:36 AM.

3. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I guess you're right. Just imagine what will happen if YOUR wildest dreams come true and they turn into a D3 program?! I guess attendance will drop below 300 and coaches of past will roll over in their graves and the SC will be demolished and they will play on campus, and at that point why even have a team? It seems you will never be satisfied. Or you will for a week and then you won't anymore. The administration/ BOT has made 2 significant coaching hires (including a football coach to turn around a program that has been accepted as sedentary for years) and has invested in facility upgrades across the board, as well as continuing to add athletics programs. Even someone with ZERO insight can see that they are invested in the future success of the athletics program as a whole.

At the end of the day, 1055 fans int something to be mad at. I know when my season ticket is punched as I walk through the door they hit a clicker to tally entries. Maybe that is compared to season ticket purchases, but that 1055 could be an accurate attendance number as opposed to purchases, I don't know how their system works.

4. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I also dont think it's valid to compare the attendance against the size of the arena. Having watched many of the away games online, some of the GMAC teams play in smaller gyms than I did in middle school. KWC having the luxury of playing in a larger arena is home court advantage regardless of the ratio of attendance to capacity.

I'd say the admin and BOT feel pretty decent about the athletics program seeing as they're hiring coaches of the quality of Cooper and Craig Yeast, starting new programs (bowling, wrestling, track & field, cross country) and seeing more competitiveness on the field with several programs than we have ever had (volleyball, baseball, women's basketball, women's soccer). Even the teams that aren't necessarily winning right now aren't being blown out every game like they did in the GLVC.

As for the D1 vs. D2 attendance question, the Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, etc are ALWAYS going to fill their arenas. But if you watch many games on TV you'll see that a LOT of the games that don't feature those elite teams with their cult followings are playing in sparsely populated arenas. And you have to figure that these schools are getting their best attendance numbers out of those games that are on TV, especially with the students, because they're marketing it as such.

So if we DID make a move - at some point years from now - to play somewhere other than the Sportscenter, what I would like is to see KWC build a nice, modern, smaller arena on campus. 2000-2500 seats maybe. The HRC is simply not big enough and not designed for public events. Even if the gym itself would work, there's NO parking. It's ok for volleyball or wrestling which are not overly popular sports and won't ever build up to huge attendance numbers even if KWC suddenly became the premier program in D2. There's just not that much interest in them.

6. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

I believe the first step that needed to be done to get pride back into KWC MBB was to hire the right coach (done) second to recruit players that were coachable and good students (done) next get these players to play good team ball (close) next to get these players to form a good D2 team ( still work to be done) future show top D2 recruits KWC offers more than other schools (keep supporting and watch it happen)

I fight with myself deciding which is more important..having a wiz bang team of players full of dunks and one on one super plays or kids that make you proud of their hard work, improvement, leadership. I am beginning to believe we can have both if total support ($$$, attend games, news papers, TV, radio, students, etc.)
    both new and old come forward.

I do not believe you can have a rich college experience in front of an I pad. Some think Owensboro has outgrown a small D2 basketball program. They have no idea what they are missing watching games in their basement.

7. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    I do not believe you can have a rich college experience in front of an I pad. Some think Owensboro has outgrown a small D2 basketball program. They have no idea what they are missing watching games in their basement.
    I hear objections from friends and family about going to games far too often. Once I get someone to attend a game with my wife and me, they usually begin to follow the team themselves. It's unique to have a D2 team in a town like Owensboro, and the action is fun to watch. Getting to watch players grow through a college career is so exciting and fun, i.e. Ken-Jah. I look forward to watching the young ones on this team grow.

8. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Well said so many times there are stories within the game you do not experience unless you are there.

KWC 67 @ Alderson Broaddus 89 Final

Panthers move to 6-7 and 4-3
    Last edited by alumnifan; 01-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alumnifan View Post
    KWC 26 @ Alderson Broaddus 56 at the half.
    Alderson Broaddus beat Kentucky Wesleyan 89-67, and improve to 7-7 overall and 4-3 in conference.
    Go Beavers!

Quote Originally Posted by pantherfan View Post
    I hear objections from friends and family about going to games far too often. Once I get someone to attend a game with my wife and me, they usually begin to follow the team themselves. It's unique to have a D2 team in a town like Owensboro, and the action is fun to watch. Getting to watch players grow through a college career is so exciting and fun, i.e. Ken-Jah. I look forward to watching the young ones on this team grow.
    Nice post. It's fun to to watch a team grow, especially at the D2 level where you know they won't be going pro after just one season. Good game today! Best wishes to all in Owensboro.
    Last edited by crixus; 01-12-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    Go Beavers!

Bad, bad first half today. We were playing terrible, and AB couldn't miss if they'd have tried. Hopefully we'll get our heads right by next week's games. I feel like the long stretch between games hurt us in this one. Right now in the G-MAC there are 6 teams sitting on 3 losses. We'll get better, just gotta keep fighting.

13. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by kdubnation View Post
    Bad, bad first half today. We were playing terrible, and AB couldn't miss if they'd have tried. Hopefully we'll get our heads right by next week's games. I feel like the long stretch between games hurt us in this one. Right now in the G-MAC there are 6 teams sitting on 3 losses. We'll get better, just gotta keep fighting.
    As Coach said...bad first 10:02. In that time each team had 16 possessions

KWC (Possession) AB
    0- (Made 3) -7
    2- (Made 2) -4
    1- (Free Throws) -0
    4- (Turnover) -1
    4- (Miss 3) -1
    3- (Miss 2) -0
    0- (Miss then made 2) -2
    0- (Miss then made 3) -1
    1- (Miss then miss) -0
    1- (Miss then FT) -0

AB hit 8 3's and 6 2's in first 16 possessions!

Hard to win you you give up over 2 points per possession OR score 0.5 points per possession much less do BOTH.
    Last edited by WKYDave; 01-13-2019 at 11:20 AM.

14. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Update of transfers from last year.....
    Malek Harris - LSU-Alexandria (NAIA) - 9 pts/6 reb ave 24 minutes/game - 21 points high team 18-2
    Dakota Quinn - MidAmerica Nazarene (NAIA) - 14 pts/10 reb/5 blks ave 30 min/game - 22 points high #1 in shots blocked in NAIA Team 10-8
    Evan Milligan - Life (NAIA) - 16 pts/7 reb ave 30 min/game - 28 points high #Team 13-7
    Rasheide Bell - Delta St (D2) - 11 pts/4 reb/2 assts ave 28 min/game - 20 points high Team 12-4
    Chandler Redix - St. Martins (D2) – 13 pts/3 reb/3 assts ave 27 min/game - 25 points high Team 13-2
    Colton Elkins - Georgetown (NAIA) - 4 pts/3 reb ave 15 min/game - 14 points high - Has started playing again at first of year

Good to see the former Panthers finding some level of success on the court. Individually they are talented, but they sure couldn't put it together as a team. At least Jason Mays couldn't get them to, anyway.

I wonder how many technical fouls they have so far this season?

And along those lines, Deng Mayot got t'd up against Ohio Dominican (for jawwing with an opponent after a hard foul by Mo), and then didn't play against Ohio Valley. I'm guessing the rule is "Get an unwarranted T, one game suspension" ?

16. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by kdubnation View Post
    Good to see the former Panthers finding some level of success on the court. Individually they are talented, but they sure couldn't put it together as a team. At least Jason Mays couldn't get them to, anyway.

I wonder how many technical fouls they have so far this season?

And along those lines, Deng Mayot got t'd up against Ohio Dominican (for jawwing with an opponent after a hard foul by Mo), and then didn't play against Ohio Valley. I'm guessing the rule is "Get an unwarranted T, one game suspension" ?
    But I think Coach put Deng back in against Ohio Dominican after the T so I think is must be for another reason.

You might be right, I was just making a completely uninformed guess/assumption.

18. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

That would be an interesting stat to see! I'd be curious to know how many Rasheide has especially, that kid loved getting a technical!

On another note does anyone have an update on Zavon? I haven't heard a thing about him since the surgery.

19. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Also, I'm not sure it's a bad thing that Deng isn't playing. I understand the potential he brings. He is athletic and can bring change to a game if he wants to. However, he has been a turnover machine who travels A LOT and doesn't go up for rebounds. I have been underwhelmed by his performances thus far. Yet somehow he has still managed to average 12 pts a game. His monster dunk against Trevecca at home is what I think he can do every game, but those moments have been few and far between. However, because of those moments I do see his upside.

20. Default Re: Kentucky Wesleyan Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by pantherfan View Post
    That would be an interesting stat to see! I'd be curious to know how many Rasheide has especially, that kid loved getting a technical!

On another note does anyone have an update on Zavon? I haven't heard a thing about him since the surgery.

Bell has no technical fouls this year.