Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewell

Contribute to D2

Default Jewell

There is a committee on campus to determine if Jewell will drop to D3 and leave the GLVC. I know the travel budget is very tight, especially with multiple low enrollment cycles.

Default Re: Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyJewells View Post
    There is a committee on campus to determine if Jewell will drop to D3 and leave the GLVC. I know the travel budget is very tight, especially with multiple low enrollment cycles.
    Man, I bet Holley would be in favor of that. I'm not sure he's had a .500 season in the GLVC since they joined.

Kinda wonder how legit this is from a guy who created his profile and first post today. Also took well over two hours before anyone responded. Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    Kinda wonder how legit this is from a guy who created his profile and first post today. Also took well over two hours before anyone responded. Just saying
    Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers, though.

[QUOTE=FamilyJewells;2051263]Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers,

I understand. You may very well be correct and if so, kudos to you for breaking the news. I will say interesting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyJewells View Post
    Not sure why I'd make this up? I just know there are options to explore. I believe when Jewell made the jump from d2 from NAIA, their end goal was to go d3 but you cannot make a NAIA -> d3 move. Who knows what the committee will find out? Maybe they will stick where they are. Changes are coming with lower enrollment numbers, though.
    I agree with UFSwimDad in questioning the legitimacy. You can go NAIA to D3. Belhaven just went from NAIA Southern States Athletic Conference to D3 American Southwest Conference in 2015. Johnson & Wales-Denver and SUNY Delhi are beginning the process in 2017-18.

Who would they play in D3? There aren't many programs in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifFan View Post
    Who would they play in D3? There aren't many programs in the area.
    That's what I was thinking. It makes complete sense for them to be a D3 school, but it doesn't seem like they would save on travel when there are so few in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Boys View Post
    I agree with UFSwimDad in questioning the legitimacy. You can go NAIA to D3. Belhaven just went from NAIA Southern States Athletic Conference to D3 American Southwest Conference in 2015. Johnson & Wales-Denver and SUNY Delhi are beginning the process in 2017-18.
    That was just some talk internally between staff members, we don't know much of what's going on with this overall process. With the old AD getting let go/stepping down, they are exploring all possibilities.

I was shocked when Jewell moved to D2 and joined the GLVC. Great school, but I just couldn't see them being competitive. IMHO, they should have stayed in the HAAC (NAIA). Members all have a lot in common. I thought at the time the GLVC was biting off too much.I can't imagine going D2, just so they could drop to D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    That's what I was thinking. It makes complete sense for them to be a D3 school, but it doesn't seem like they would save on travel when there are so few in the region.
    The only D3 football programs in the state of Missouri are Washington U-St. Louis and Westminster. The only viable D3 options for the Kansas City area-based William Jewell would seem to be the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference as, outside of Texas, there are very few D3 schools in, say, Arkansas, to make a move even remotely viable.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    The only D3 football programs in the state of Missouri are Washington U-St. Louis and Westminster. The only viable D3 options for the Kansas City area-based William Jewell would seem to be the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference as, outside of Texas, there are very few D3 schools in, say, Arkansas, to make a move even remotely viable.
    Yeah, Arkansas has only 2 D3 schools. U of Ozarks in Clarksville does not have football. Hendrix College in Conway restarted football about 3 years ago.

As far as U Indy goes, GLVC Football never developed for them. SWBap, McKendree and Truman developing programs but Bellarmine, Lewis and Southern Indiana never joined in. St Joe was their closest trip and in-state fun for the fans game. With St Joe gone, East/West Divisions and reduced travel time seems decades away if ever. Jewell having problems?? Before Jewell goes, congrats to them for being the first conference loss for U Indy (three total?) in five years of GLVC football.

Update:

Jewell's president sent out an internal email this morning about the future of athletics at Jewell.

Hello, Jewell Community:

In March, I commissioned a Task Force on the Future of Athletics at Jewell, Chaired by Dr. ____, with the charge of identifying ways that Athletics and the College as a whole could align around our shared Mission. This charge required that the Task Force evaluate how Athletics, Academic Affairs, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Students Life can work together to improve student engagement and retention; determine if alignment and culture could be improved by moving to a different NCAA Division; and recognize ways that all of us, as critical thinkers who value our collaborative learning community, could agree upon shared principles for supporting students who later will become our invested alumni.

Followed by many many paragraphs.

So, did the Task Force suggest any plan for the school and its athletics?

Yeah what was the outcome or has that not happened yet?

I'm guessing maybe he views this suspense as payback for you doubting the legitimacy of his original post?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    I'm guessing maybe he views this suspense as payback for you doubting the legitimacy of his original post?
    Yeah prob paying for it now🤣🤣🤣

Hello, Jewell Community:

In March, I commissioned a Task Force on the Future of Athletics at Jewell, Chaired by ---------, with the charge of identifying ways that Athletics and the College as a whole could align around our shared Mission. This charge required that the Task Force evaluate how Athletics, Academic Affairs, Admissions, Financial Aid, and Students Life can work together to improve student engagement and retention; determine if alignment and culture could be improved by moving to a different NCAA Division; and recognize ways that all of us, as critical thinkers who value our collaborative learning community, could agree upon shared principles for supporting students who later will become our invested alumni.

This charge was ambitious. The Task Force members approached their work with a keen sense of the gravity of the conversation—and the impact it would have on the student-athlete experience. Their dialogue revealed disparate processes and mindsets that need to change. Their subsequent recommendations to me and to the Board provide a roadmap for improvement that is based around an holistic, Mission-driven approach toward Athletics involving the entire College.

The scope of these recommendations, and thus the work before us, is significant. Our success in this work is dependent on spending time improving the student experience, managing our scholarship model differently, and transitioning Athletic fundraising and alumni engagement to The Office of Advancement. Searching for a new Athletic Director while doing this work would be distracting, and it would not provide for the best possible environment in which our new leader would thrive.

I have therefore determined that we will devote our energy to implementing the Task Force’s recommendations over the next several months—and seek a new, permanent Athletic Director after this next phase of our work is complete. During this period of discovery and dialogue, --------- will serve as Interim Athletic Director. ---------, who joined --------- in the role of Co-Interm Athletic Director since March, will be turning his attention to --------- season, which starts this ---------. Both --------- and --------- have my thanks for their leadership during this time of transition. Having worked with --------- closely over these past two months, I am confident in his ability to lead our Athletic program as we move into the next academic year.

--------- assumed Cabinet-level responsibility over Athletics after the departure of ---------. ---------’s acumen for building structure and developing processes based on data has created a new level of support for our coaches and staff. He has devoted an impressive amount of energy and time to this effort, even while continuing to serve as Jewell's Chief --------- Officer. I am grateful for ---------’s leadership and his deep commitment to building relationships that will serve as the foundation for our long-range success in Athletics.

I would invite you to join me in thanking ---------, ---------, and the entire Athletic Department for their commitment to this important work—and to extend thanks, as well, to members of the Task Force, who came together seven times in as many weeks to provide a framework for our current and future efforts. The members of the Task Force are:

(19 names)

As we move into a new era of Athletics at Jewell, I invite you to join the conversation—share your ideas, good will, and support—and help our community to create meaningful athletic experiences for our students complemental of the curricular and co-curricular strengths of William Jewell College.

With my best,
    Elizabeth
    --

Elizabeth MacLeod Walls, Ph.D.
    President

Perhaps I am missing the answer but are they moving down or staying put? Or is that to be determined after they hire a permanent AD?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast