Thread: Urbana men's job opens up

Contribute to D2

Default Urbana men's job opens up

Rob Summers has resigned as head men's basketball coach at Urbana to go back to James Madison as an assistant basketball coach.

Default Re: Urbana men's job opens up

Wow ... on April 21? Let the departures begin ...

According to a newspaper article, Urbana University's president just resigned as well.

The paper states that the school may become a branch campus now to Franklin University.

Not looking good for the MEC! Better start getting pro-active!

Christopher Washington, the new CEO and Provost for Urbana stated recently that athletics were not in jepordy and that he looked forward to adding new sports to the existing roster offered at Urbana. Also, Urbana has just started replacing the turf at Urbana Stadium to support football and other intercollegiate athletic programs at the university.

Of note from another SR1 Ohio University, read an article about Ohio Dominican allumni that are on the war path due to a 40 percent decline in freshman enrolement and mounting debt that now excedes $40,000,000. Ohio Dominican is one of five univeraities to earn an "F" for their financial stability...Urbana is also on that list. They have demanded the immediate firing of the univ president. The President subsiquently announced this will be his last year at Ohio Dominican
    Last edited by boatcapt; 05-03-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Christopher Washington, the new CEO and Provost for Urbana stated recently that athletics were not in jepordy and that he looked forward to adding new sports to the existing roster offered at Urbana.
    Add sports??? They just dropped lacrosse.

Franklin University is geared to adult education and not high school grads.

I note that one of Ohio Dominican "strategies" to dig out of their ongoing financial and enrolement slide is creating on line programs targetting adult students.

The player who left the men's basketball team today seems like he'd be a nice add for somebody. He scored just under 17 ppg last season.

Urbana - Not really sure what is going on there. I keep seeing info that says they will transition to become a branch campus of Franklin. Then again, they just put out a story that showed their new turf field with "Urbana" written across it. So, there are some mixed messages. The Franklin Blue Knights? The Franklin-Urbana Blue Knights? Will all sports be at Urbana, or will they move any to their main campus in Columbus? BTW - Urbana doesn't really have many traditional students anymore anyway. I think we did the math earlier and determined that other than the athletes on campus, they have something like 200 full time undergrads. Most of their enrollment is non-traditional already, so the Franklin model may not be too difficult to transition to. It sounds like they tried to see if they could overcome the Urbana accreditation issues and after a few years determined that a switch to Franklin is the more realistic course.

Dominican - They just hired the Quincy President - which I guess is a good sign. I doubt he would have left Quincy if he didn't think he could steer the ship from trouble. My understanding is that ODU is looking at adult education as an additional revenue stream, but their primary focus of the school will remain traditional undergrad. That's similar to what a lot of schools are doing (both public and private). Franklin is different in that the non-traditional student is their primary focus.

Hoping for the best for both of our OH private schools neighbors. CU has a long history with both schools. Its a scary world right now for private schools. We all just saw what happened to St. Josephs's (and others nationwide). BTW - if any more states jump on the "free public college" bandwagon, the hill will get that much steeper for private schools.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 05-04-2017 at 08:55 AM.

The population of 18 year olds is shrinking. Small privates are feeling the pinch of declining enrolement that is seriously effecting their bottom lines. While certainly not perfect, the Forbes.com financial report card shows a number of SR1 private schools with F or D grades for tbeir financials. To survive, these schools (and others) are being forced to adapt to the changing student "profile" and start catering to adult on line learning.

In the case of Franklin/Urbana specific, I would speculate that Franklin sees Urbana as their move into the more traditional brick and mortar undergrad game. Just as traditionals are moving into the adult on line education business, Franklin is moving into the traditional undergrad business with "Fanklin at Urbana." It is a gamble based on the mentioned declining number of 18 year olds but unlike the privates, Franklin is in good financial shape to pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    I would speculate that Franklin sees Urbana as their move into the more traditional brick and mortar undergrad game. Just as traditionals are moving into the adult on line education business, Franklin is moving into the traditional undergrad business with "Fanklin at Urbana." It is a gamble based on the mentioned declining number of 18 year olds but unlike the privates, Franklin is in good financial shape to pull this off.
    I kind of see it as that too (although, as I stated above, Urbana is a whole lot less brick and mortar than it used to be). The GLIAC has two schools - Northwood and Davenport that seem to be pulling off the "we are mostly non-traditional, but we also have brick and mortar with sports" thing pretty well.

If Franklin's plan is to add traditional brick and mortar on campus undergrad to their portfolio, Urbana fills that bill in that they have a pretty nice brick and mortar campus. Yes, the campus is underpopulated but the physical plant is already there to grow. If that is Franklin's plan, it is bold and runs counter to the direction a lot of other privates are taking so there certainly is no guarantee they will succeed. But as i mentioned, Franklin seems to have its financials in order and seems to have the capital to see it through.

As for the future name of Urbana, I vote for Franklin at Urbana University.

I don't care if they are called Urbana or Franklin or some cumbersome, hyphenated mixture of names. I just hope the campus begins to reverse the enrollment slide and are able to continue to field teams....and bring back the ones they recently eliminated.