Thread: Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

Contribute to D2

Default Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sport...cb7791b39.html

I am a little surprised that Chuck Landon would do a piece on the MEC tournament since he is based out of Huntington. But he claims the word is that the MEC Tournament host site is up for bid and that Charleston, Huntington, Sutton and Wheeling are going to bid.

You could nix Sutton as the Braxton County Armory is nice and has upgrades, but they are good for high school games and the arena is not made for this type of event. I don't see any benefit of moving it to Huntington. I see no interest in the MEC Tournament there and can't see local businesses supporting it when most money is going towards Marshall.

I am going to guess this comes down to Wheeling and Charleston.....big if is.....is Landon's information correct? He used to be really good with his info when he was with the Daily Mail. He hasn't quite been the same since his move to Huntington, but he does have contacts.

2. Default Re: Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

Chuck was just trying to throw 500 words together so he can go back to sleep. He throws up a theory that obviously makes no sense and spends the next few paragraphs explaining that it makes no sense. Another day at the office. The only "source" for this word salad is his once-fertile imagination.

The tournament's staying in Charleston. It doesn't have anywhere else to go.

Default Re: Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

I actually enjoy Chuck's work. I'm a little biased having did post-grad at Marshall. He's done some excellent work on the infamous/terrible plane crash in 1970. He's a celebrity of 'sorts' down there.

Don't forget the job of the columnist ... stir things up and get people talking. Mission accomplished, I guess. When it comes to D2 sports ... any coverage is good coverage. 'The Cam' seats just over 9,000 ... think of the positive ... 3,000 less empty seats.

Huntington would be a great location. The city has hosted FCS National Championships and hosts s big time Soccer tournament as well.

The city has plenty of hotels, restaurants, etc.

Huntington as a city is much nicer than Charleston imo.

5. Default Re: Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

One last kick at a dead horse....

The only rumors "making the rounds" about Huntington as a possible MEC Tournament venue are "making the rounds" between Chuck's ears. There's plenty of room to operate in there.

If you read the column, it's clear that he didn't speak to anybody. He didn't call anybody. He just made the whole thing up. It's what he does and it's why he was fired from the Charleston paper years ago.

If he had any clue about what was going on, he'd have mentioned that Huntington - his beloved Marshall University, in fact - is hosting an MEC championship tournament this very week. He could urge the Herald-Disgrace to provide blanket coverage for the MEC Men's Tennis Championships - they're being held Friday through Sunday at MU's Fox Tennis Center - to show Commissioner Amos that the local media would support an MEC championship event.

The sad thing is that Chuck used to be a very talented writer. Unfortunately, he specialized in fiction.

6. Default Re: Column by Chuck Landon on MEC Tournament bidding

It is NOT coming to Wheeling.

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sport...cb7791b39.html

I am a little surprised that Chuck Landon would do a piece on the MEC tournament since he is based out of Huntington. But he claims the word is that the MEC Tournament host site is up for bid and that Charleston, Huntington, Sutton and Wheeling are going to bid.

You could nix Sutton as the Braxton County Armory is nice and has upgrades, but they are good for high school games and the arena is not made for this type of event. I don't see any benefit of moving it to Huntington. I see no interest in the MEC Tournament there and can't see local businesses supporting it when most money is going towards Marshall.

I am going to guess this comes down to Wheeling and Charleston.....big if is.....is Landon's information correct? He used to be really good with his info when he was with the Daily Mail. He hasn't quite been the same since his move to Huntington, but he does have contacts.
    Proof that Sutton is such a long-shot: I'd bet that more than a few of his readers would have to Google where it is.

He followed that column with another one today. He confirmed with Reid Amos that Huntington and Charleston are the two cities that have submitted bids so far.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sport...33869d3f4.html

Huntington and Marshall should throw in the contract that Marshall will play the champion the next year in regular season.

According to the GazetteMail this evening, the MEC tournament is coming to Charleston for 2018.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports-...eston-for-2018

However, it does state that there is a conflict with the 2019 tournament as the dates the MEC wants to hold the event are the same time as the WV Girls Basketball Tournament. The tournament will be put back out for bid after this season according to this agreement. It does state that Huntington did definitely put in a bid.

What a shame. The tourney in Charleston has run its course and needs to be moved. Found it a little amusing that the Mayor said that they want to continue the improvements they made last year. Don't really know what improvements he was talking about.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 08-07-2017 at 08:48 PM.