Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by WildHorses View Post
    Northern State should be the odds on favorite to be the best team in the NSIC. Too much size and skill returning to not place them at the top. MSUM and Augustana will always battle for the top spots because they both attract high level talent and just reload each year. SMSU at four because I need to see what type of play occurs after the top six. If they get solid play from players 7, 8 and 9 they will be a tough match-up.

1 - NSU
    2 - Augustana
    3 - MSUM
    4 - SMSU
    5-6-7 - Mankato - St. Cloud - USF
    Short of injuries, I'd be incredibly surprised to see SMSU finish any lower than 3rd. And pleasantly surprised to see Augie finish as high as 2nd.

2. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I'm as high on NSU this year as I have been since the heated Warriors/Wolves days of old. We lose Mack, which is a bummer no dpubt, but we replace his high volume of threes and add a more reliable, selective, and all around better player in Peterka. We won't really have a "stud" three point shooter but we have guys that can shoot a high percentage from deep, it just won't be as many shots. Add that with Doyle and as always we hope for big things from Carter even if it is just doing s good job of filling in for Logan when he needs a rest or is in foul trouble. Smith has shown to be am incredible surprise for the Wolves and by all indications he is back to full strength. That said, he has had head issues in the past so a full season would be a huge victory for us.

I feel we are deep and seasoned well to make this a year to remember. Having NWMSU early in the year will be a good measuring stick and win/loss not the end all be all of the year. I'm not garunting anything, but Wolves fans and the city of Aberdeen have been longing and deserving of a team to host that regional for years, if not this year then if could be a few years more before a chance is even thought of.
    While I think we'll be good and have a good year, we could very easily be 0-3 to start the year.

Quote Originally Posted by nsufan View Post
    While I think we'll be good and have a good year, we could very easily be 0-3 to start the year.
    Of course we "could" but that's the thinking of early 2000s that we are trying to pit far in the rear view mirror. I'm not trying to overreact, but my freshman year NSU enrollment was at a low of around 2,300, our athletics department was full of kids thinking " We can't compete with (insert school here) they are way bigger" That rolled into the student section which was a few pm the couch at hoops game and that was it.

The toughest thing to change in sports, or anywhere in life, is culture. What NSU has done with sports, across the board, is quite amazing considering where everything was.

You had baseball winning 10 games a year, softball was garbage, idk how many losing season Boden put us through. And yet, here we are. In the top portion if the all sports award, volleyball is a legit contender, both basketball teams are in position go (at very best) be possible hosts of basketball regional, wrestling was saved, track is putting out more kids to nationals and school record than ever...

I kmow, I know, way overactive, but Is so proud of what's happening and the things be built on campus to enhance the athletic programs to boot. We are in a great spot and we are fortunate to apart of such a giving, supportive fan base.

Sorry, just incredible geared up for the future of Wolves athletics.

I'm getting as many people as I can to that game Saturday, a win over Duluth and depending what volleyball does over the weekend, could be a big, big boost.

4. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Of course we "could" but that's the thinking of early 2000s that we are trying to pit far in the rear view mirror. I'm not trying to overreact, but my freshman year NSU enrollment was at a low of around 2,300, our athletics department was full of kids thinking " We can't compete with (insert school here) they are way bigger" That rolled into the student section which was a few pm the couch at hoops game and that was it.

The toughest thing to change in sports, or anywhere in life, is culture. What NSU has done with sports, across the board, is quite amazing considering where everything was.

You had baseball winning 10 games a year, softball was garbage, idk how many losing season Boden put us through. And yet, here we are. In the top portion if the all sports award, volleyball is a legit contender, both basketball teams are in position go (at very best) be possible hosts of basketball regional, wrestling was saved, track is putting out more kids to nationals and school record than ever...

I kmow, I know, way overactive, but Is so proud of what's happening and the things be built on campus to enhance the athletic programs to boot. We are in a great spot and we are fortunate to apart of such a giving, supportive fan base.

I'm getting as many people as I can to that game Saturday, a win over Duluth and depending what volleyball does over the weekend, could be a big, big boost.
    I'll take your response as a statement that you find an 0-3 start very unlikely? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    I'll take your response as a statement that you find an 0-3 start very unlikely? :)
    For better or worse, anything is possible

Right now, I'm going to say the Top 3 is MSUM, SMSU, NSU.....don't ask me the order because I don't know.

After that, probably MSU and Augie. Dark horse for 6th: Bemidji. SCSU and UIU will be the other two Top 8 teams

Smsu will win the south, NSU or Moorhead will win the conference. I think St Cloud, MSU and UIU will finish top 6

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar Runner View Post
    Smsu will win the south, NSU or Moorhead will win the conference. I think St Cloud, MSU and UIU will finish top 6
    I mean...I have to be honest. I had no idea anyone else had ever heard of Homestar Runner...

I mean...I have to be honest. I had no idea anyone else had ever heard of Homestar Runner...
    Actually meant to comment a couple hours ago about how I'm jealous of that name. And surprised that it wasn't already taken years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Actually meant to comment a couple hours ago about how I'm jealous of that name. And surprised that it wasn't already taken years ago.
    This is amazing...i thought it was just some dorky thing I came across years ago. I believe it was HS and I asked all over but no one had heard. My coach at the time took me fishing once and mentioned lures and jigs, to which I replied "I do know one jig. C'mon and get in the boat, come on and get in the boat fish, fish."

This is amazing...i thought it was just some dorky thing I came across years ago. I believe it was HS and I asked all over but no one had heard. My coach at the time took me fishing once and mentioned lures and jigs, to which I replied "I do know one jig. C'mon and get in the boat, come on and get in the boat fish, fish."
    You and I tend to be more alike than I prefer. :)

You and I tend to be more alike than I prefer. :)
    Quick, start insulting me and my Wolves for our public school learning and lets get this back on track

13. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

I didn't say "I think we'll get beat", but when you play the defending National Champions on their own floor(who may be improved over last year), an SMSU team who returns their starting 5 on their home floor and a Washburn team who returns their starting 5 we "could" lose all three. I don't think we will though. This has nothing to do with the "culture" you are referring to. I'm very aware of that, I'm an alumnus and have been attending NSU events for over 30 years. It has been great the see the "culture" that you are referring to having changed for the better over the last 10 years.

14. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

I didn't say "I think we'll get beat", but when you play the defending National Champions on their own floor(who may be improved over last year), an SMSU team who returns their starting 5 on their home floor and a Washburn team who returns their starting 5 we "could" lose all three. I don't think we will though. This has nothing to do with the "culture" you are referring to. I'm very aware of that, I'm an alumnus and have been attending NSU events for over 30 years. It has been great the see the "culture" that you are referring to having changed for the better over the last 10 years.
    The game against NW is not a home game for NW. It is 40 minutes south in St. Joseph at Missouri Western. Will be plenty of NW fans with it being so close though.

Only true champions start their season by losing to Washburn on a neutral court.

16. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    The game against NW is not a home game for NW. It is 40 minutes south in St. Joseph at Missouri Western. Will be plenty of NW fans with it being so close though.
    Thanks for pointing that out. My bad.

Like I said, my post was overkill, haha

Have any of the national preseason rankings come out yet as far as anyone is aware? I'm curious to see where in the Top 10 the Sporting News editor put St. Cloud this year.

Have any of the national preseason rankings come out yet as far as anyone is aware? I'm curious to see where in the Top 10 the Sporting News editor put St. Cloud this year.
    Likely right in the 6-8 range like usual... :)

But maybe that person thinks he's ranking their finish in the NSIC

20. Default Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Likely right in the 6-8 range like usual... :)

But maybe that person thinks he's ranking their finish in the NSIC
    It would be nice to finish that high.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast