Thread: Metro State coach wins and wins ... and gets fired

Contribute to D2

Default Metro State coach wins and wins ... and gets fired

Boy, easy to get fired these days, even in D2 hoops. Metro State fires a highly successful coach. Here's his bio:

MSU Denver will look to replace Derrick Clark after the two parted ways. Clark tallied a record of 173-50 during his seven years at the helm of the Roadrunners basketball program. He was the fastest coach in school history to reach 100 wins. During his career at MSU Denver, Clark guided MSU Denver to the NCAA Division II National Championship game in 2013, a Final Four appearance in 2014, and an Elite Eight appearance in 2012. The Roadrunners qualified for the NCAA Tournament in each of Clark’s first five seasons. He also led the Roadrunners to three Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) regular season championships and two RMAC tournament titles.

“Coach Clark led the men’s basketball program the last seven years,” said Grant. “He continued to build on the successful tradition that was started nearly 20 years ago with Mike Dunlap. I wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

The A.D. said they need to return to being a national power. Uh, OK, outside of when they had Mike Dunlap, Metro State was not a national power. Well, this guy had them pretty competitive.

College athletics is very odd.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: Metro State coach wins and wins ... and gets fired

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    The A.D. said they need to return to being a national power. Uh, OK, outside of when they had Mike Dunlap, Metro State was not a national power. Well, this guy had them pretty competitive.

College athletics is very odd.
    173-50! There must be more to this than meets the eye. Why do you get rid of someone like that?

They were one of NW's toughest wins of the season(66-64 @ Metro St)

Quote Originally Posted by NWFanatic View Post
    They were one of NW's toughest wins of the season(66-64 @ Metro St)
    Someone should hire this guy, probably didn't schmooze enough with the A.D.

I wish D2 would quit trying to be like D1. I'm sure Pitino, Izzo, and others are lining up to take the Metro State job. I could do a quick scan of their attendance, probably not good. Kind of like when WOU's hoop coach bolted for Regis University of Denver. It's not pretty: Regis regularly has crowds of under 200 and 100. As bad as WOU is, they had a few 900+ games this year and last year had a few 1,000-plus.

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Someone should hire this guy, probably didn't schmooze enough with the A.D.

I wish D2 would quit trying to be like D1. I'm sure Pitino, Izzo, and others are lining up to take the Metro State job. I could do a quick scan of their attendance, probably not good. Kind of like when WOU's hoop coach bolted for Regis University of Denver. It's not pretty: Regis regularly has crowds of under 200 and 100. As bad as WOU is, they had a few 900+ games this year and last year had a few 1,000-plus.
    Metro's average home attendance was 355...

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
    Metro's average home attendance was 355...
    Wow, brutal ... JV high school basketball numbers. Of course that won't cause any alarm and the A.D. won't be questioned about it by the media (which isn't covering the games) or his president of V.P., because they're clueless, too. Not sure what D2 A.D.'s do besides hire and fire. They never care about marketing or attendance, but gosh darn it, when the highly successful men's hoop coach doesn't win a national title, fire him!

7. Default Re: Metro State coach wins and wins ... and gets fired

I think that guy was suspended all season. Not sure why. But, I assume that is why he was fired.