Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add another one

Default Re: Add another one

Welcome aboard Dragons!

3. Default Re: Add another one

Ashland will be next...and then the GMAC will begin removing the non-football schools to have one single, solid, all-sports conference by 2020

Quote Originally Posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    Ashland will be next...and then the GMAC will begin removing the non-football schools to have one single, solid, all-sports conference by 2020
    Wow... I have to seriously wonder if there will even be a GLIAC in five years at this rate, presuming Ashland changes their mind and decides to join the G-MAC. I'm still skeptical of that happening, but crazier things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by GLIAC Fan View Post
    The only issue I could see with that is the ex-WVIAC schools who were left out of the Mountain East Conference and ended up in the G-MAC are probably going to raise all sorts of holy you know what over that plan. After all, it was the G-MAC which took them in after the WVIAC broke up.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    The only issue I could see with that is the ex-WVIAC schools who were left out of the Mountain East Conference and ended up in the G-MAC are probably going to raise all sorts of holy you know what over that plan. After all, it was the G-MAC which took them in after the WVIAC broke up.
    Yeah, I think Cedarville would raise some hell too. Those who have followed the twisted path of the G-MAC know that getting this conference up and running was an extreme struggle. If CU got booted out the conference by its old MOC/AMC "friends", that would be pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Yeah, I think Cedarville would raise some hell too. Those who have followed the twisted path of the G-MAC know that getting this conference up and running was an extreme struggle. If CU got booted out the conference by its old MOC/AMC "friends", that would be pretty insane.
    Good point about Cedarville, not to mention Ursuline. My point was that Davis & Elkins and Ohio Valley were basically without a conference until the G-MAC came along (Salem came as part of the initial expansion, but we all know what happened to them).

Realistically, though, if any current G-MAC school is going to end up leaving, it would probably be Trevecca, who I'm sure is less than thrilled that the G-MAC continues to expand within Ohio but not down south. And, with North Alabama preparing to leave the Gulf South Conference for the (ahem) greener pastures of D1/FCS, I wouldn't be shocked if the GSC has reached out to TNU, if for no other reason than the addition of a fourth non-football Tennessee member (Christian Brothers in Memphis, Lee University in Cleveland and Union University in Jackson) might be appealing for the Nashville-based TNU. The GSC doesn't seem to have a problem adding non-football schools, specifically Auburn-Montgomery and Montevallo, both in Alabama. I don't have any inside information about Trevecca's future, but I'm basing this on the current landscape of D2 as it stands now.

My gut feeling, though, is that if Ashland makes the move to the G-MAC - which I still think is a long-shot at this point - that might cap off G-MAC expansion for the immediate future. That said, if football and non-football schools can co-exist in the GLVC and the GSC, then I can't see that being an issue for the G-MAC.

So I have been participating on a thread in the GLIAC fourm I believe and there have been some interesting comments that lead to a much bigger and crazier thinking to the possible addition of Ashland.

It would appear that Ashland could be in the catbird seat as they have the option of staying put, moving to the GMAC, or perhaps moving back to the GLVC. There are multiple reasons for why they should stay and why they would go to this conference or that conference but it does raise an interesting predicament.

What if the GMAC does take in NDC and or Urbana? What will the MEC do? Will the WV schools be vulnerable? Or will the MEC be proactive and see where this is going and start their own little expansion?

What about the GLIAC? If Ashland bolts, do they make a run at UINDY? Do they make a run for other Illinois GLVC schools? What at our Bellarmine? I guess one could speculate that both UINDY and Bellarmine are in the drive seats as well as they could do a couple of moves that would help them.

What about the GLVC? Will they focus on keeping the Far East schools or focus more on the W Illinois/ Missouri teams?

Listen this is just me throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. All of this is true and all of this is one big pile of shat. It occupies both spaces. It lends itself to some very interesting and lively discussion for sure and I wouldn't doubt at all if I get zero of this correct. Thoughts?

This started 5 or six years ago when the private Ohio schools and Hillsdale complained about the inequity of the cost of scholarships to be fully funded in the GLIAC. The schools that have come to the Gmac have done so for academic reasons or to be in a similar situation. Easier to come to an existing league than start one. Thank You GMAC.

I'll be honest, if the GMAC does somehow pick up NDC and Urbana, it will sting the MEC ... but I don't think it would be a huge deathblow or anything. It will absolutely make scheduling more difficult, but the MEC would have 9 football members. You schedule two OOC games to at least get 10 games. If you can somehow get three, you get 11 games. Some of these schools already have great relationships with schools from other conferences within the region. For example, the Shepherd-Shippensburg rivalry would pick up tomorrow if it could.

As a Shepherd guy and MEC guy by extension, I find it baffling how pro-active the MEC was in the beginning and how complacent it has now become.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Tough View Post
    I'll be honest, if the GMAC does somehow pick up NDC and Urbana, it will sting the MEC ... but I don't think it would be a huge deathblow or anything. It will absolutely make scheduling more difficult, but the MEC would have 9 football members. You schedule two OOC games to at least get 10 games. If you can somehow get three, you get 11 games. Some of these schools already have great relationships with schools from other conferences within the region. For example, the Shepherd-Shippensburg rivalry would pick up tomorrow if it could.

As a Shepherd guy and MEC guy by extension, I find it baffling how pro-active the MEC was in the beginning and how complacent it has now become.
    Form everything I have read on here I would be very surprised if Urbana gets an invite. I would be surprised if NDC gets one as well but less so than Urbana. My guess right now is that it's waiting on Ashland. If they come aboard then they very well may stop right there. At least until they see what happens with the GLVC and UINDY and BU.

Agree. I don't THINK the MEC has anything to worry about with NDC and Urbana. I honestly don't believe the G-MAC wants them, if for no other reason than it creates a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    Form everything I have read on here I would be very surprised if Urbana gets an invite. I would be surprised if NDC gets one as well but less so than Urbana. My guess right now is that it's waiting on Ashland. If they come aboard then they very well may stop right there. At least until they see what happens with the GLVC and UINDY and BU.
    Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    Agree. I don't THINK the MEC has anything to worry about with NDC and Urbana. I honestly don't believe the G-MAC wants them, if for no other reason than it creates a vacuum.
    Agreed. They have to be pretty far down the wish list. Off the top of my head:

- UIndy/BU
    - Ashland
    - a combo of MEC WV private schools
    - Marian/Taylor
    - a combo of KY NAIA schools
    - then maybe NDC
    - other stuff off our radar
    - then maybe Urbana

*I have Ashland high just because of what a high-quality athletic department it is. From a need perspective, I think we need something to help KWC out, then maybe solidify WV a little more.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 04-11-2017 at 07:20 AM.

One more thing about Urbana - the Mountain East website lists them as having an enrollment of 1505. The Dept of Education lists them as having an enrollment of 483.

I just went on their website and they list approx. 600 as their enrollment. Then, they say they have approx. 1000 dual-enrolled high school students taking at least one Urbana-sponsored class. Maybe the Mountain East is counting the high school students. Either way, their full time enrollment appears to be approaching OVU-like numbers.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 04-11-2017 at 08:09 AM.

15. Default Re: Add another one

I believe that Franklin University owns Urbana University, so I wonder if any of those numbers roll-over to Urbana.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCoach View Post
    I believe that Franklin University owns Urbana University, so I wonder if any of those numbers roll-over to Urbana.
    Maybe, who knows.

Either way, they have some voodoo math going on. Small schools do all sorts of stuff to make them seem bigger than they are (counting part-time off-campus adult night students, part-time online students, apparently HS students taking a single college-level course, etc). I trust the DOE's number (full time, undergrad) more than the one the school puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    Maybe, who knows.

Either way, they have some voodoo math going on. Small schools do all sorts of stuff to make them seem bigger than they are (counting part-time off-campus adult night students, part-time online students, apparently HS students taking a single college-level course, etc). I trust the DOE's number (full time, undergrad) more than the one the school puts out.
    If their enrollment is only 483, then that would probably make the majority of their students athletes. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it would be a pretty high athletic percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Tough View Post
    If their enrollment is only 483, then that would probably make the majority of their students athletes. I'm not saying that's wrong, but it would be a pretty high athletic percentage.
    It is the majority. Per DOE, 261 of 483 are athletes.
    https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/institution/details

So I have read twice about Ashland athletics and alums not wanting to make the move. I understand that but if that is the case, would the GMAC really want a school that athletically doesn't really want to be there? I prefer wanting schools that actually want to join.

Quote Originally Posted by UFSwimDad View Post
    So I have read twice about Ashland athletics and alums not wanting to make the move. I understand that but if that is the case, would the GMAC really want a school that athletically doesn't really want to be there? I prefer wanting schools that actually want to join.
    If they come, it'll work out. My Tiffin friend (the one who sent me the questionnaire where TU asked their alumni if they wanted to move to the G-MAC) told me that the overwhelming majority of his Tiffin friends didn't want to move either. A few short weeks later, and he said everyone has pretty much accepted it and moved on. BTW - I mentioned this earlier, but I'll say it again for those that missed it. The TU questionnaire didn't mention that Findlay and Hillsdale (or the other 3 GLIAC schools) were moving to the G-MAC. It listed the current G-MAC schools only (and knowing that you can understand the concern among TU alumni).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast