Thread: Calhoun to Youngstown St

Default Calhoun to Youngstown St

Fairmont coach will be named head coach at Youngstown St only hours after losing the NC, tough day for the team have to wonder if he and the team were only focused on the game if they would've won. Get Sancomb to leave Jesuit and let's call it a do over for the MEC powers and level the playing field shall me

Default Re: Calhoun to Youngstown St

Maybe he did his final interview at halftime.

3. Default Re: Calhoun to Youngstown St

No effect on today's game. They've known about this since the regional and it was a senior-dominated unit. They weren't coming back either.

Fairmont just picked a bad day to play a poor game against a very good team. It happens.

Had he not been stuck in the same league/region with West Liberty, this wouldn't have been Calhoun's first conference and regional title. He's a good coach who got better during his time at Fairmont. YSU's a coach-killer of a job but he has as good a chance as anybody to make something happen there.

Quote Originally Posted by timbertopper View Post
    No effect on today's game. They've known about this since the regional and it was a senior-dominated unit. They weren't coming back either.

Fairmont just picked a bad day to play a poor game against a very good team. It happens.

Had he not been stuck in the same league/region with West Liberty, this wouldn't have been Calhoun's first conference and regional title. He's a good coach who got better during his time at Fairmont. YSU's a coach-killer of a job but he has as good a chance as anybody to make something happen there.

Not following ... when exactly else would we have won a regional? Last year he got knocked out in the first round (not by WL), the year before IUP went to the national title and would have blasted him had they met. That only leaves the first two years of his tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not following ... when exactly else would we have won a regional? Last year he got knocked out in the first round (not by WL), the year before IUP went to the national title and would have blasted him had they met. That only leaves the first two years of his tenure.
    Well...absent the losses to WLU in 15/16 and 14/15 and Fairmont wins the MEC regular season titles...so that's two additional titles Calhoun would have won.

In addition to the regular season titles, without WLU being around (or not as dominant), Fairmont gets several more wins during the season...Those additional W's would have translated into a higher seeding in the MEC tourney and perhaps, even winning the MEC Tourney. In 2016 for example, minus the two losses to WLU, Fairmont would have rolled into the MEC tourney with one loss and you could argue, the #1 seed. That could have translated into an easer road in the MEC tourney and quite probably a higher seeding (and possibly hosting) the NCAA Regionals. You may say hosting doesn't matter but if that's the case, why does everone want to do it??

In years past, people have discounted the MEC saying it was a one team conference. I think that was a backhanded swipe at WLU (only reason we won was because everyone else in the MEC was bad...not because you are good) and CLEARLY flat WRONG. The MEC has a number of very good programs and always has. Fairmont is the leader of that pack and but for WLU the last few years, they would have been seen as one of the two or three dominant teams in the Atlantic region.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-27-2017 at 11:29 AM.

It's just a meaningless argument. Duke and NC would have more wins if they weren't in the same conference, etc. The whole region would have more wins if it wasn't for WL.

Anyway, I think he'll do well at YSU. You can fix basketball programs quickly compared to football. He also has a couple nice players there he's inheriting. I'd assume with the late start he goes the transfer route for this year.

It's just a meaningless argument. Duke and NC would have more wins if they weren't in the same conference, etc. The whole region would have more wins if it wasn't for WL.

Anyway, I think he'll do well at YSU. You can fix basketball programs quickly compared to football. He also has a couple nice players there he's inheriting. I'd assume with the late start he goes the transfer route for this year.
    You can't change history...WLU has been dominant and Fairmont has played second fiddle to them in the MEC. But hey, it's the offseason and that's when you are supposed to do the should'a, could'a, would'a discussions!

With regard to Calhoun and YSU, I wonder if he's going to take any players with him. Were I a Fairmont fan, cat I'd be most concerned with would be Montgomery.

It's a tough sell in my opinion. From my understanding they'd either have to redshirt or choose to play but forfeit a year of eligibility. I'd be surprised to see any go but who knows.

Transfer season has essentially become a major part of college basketball and football - like it or not. It's just baffling to see how many names show up on the list.

It's a tough sell in my opinion. From my understanding they'd either have to redshirt or choose to play but forfeit a year of eligibility. I'd be surprised to see any go but who knows.

Transfer season has essentially become a major part of college basketball and football - like it or not. It's just baffling to see how many names show up on the list.
    I've got no clue how the transfer from DII to a D1 is supposed to work. In basketball it SEEMs like players going from a DII up to a D1 sit out a year...but in football, that doesn't seem to be the case. Nor does it seem to be the case for a D1 transferring down to a DII...or transferring from a DII to another DII.

Correct. D2 lateral transfer ... no penalty. D1 down to D2 ... no penalty.

D1 to D1 (unless grad transfer) ... sit a year. D2 to D1 basketball ... sit a year (or forfeit a year ... your choice). Why you get penalized for moving up a level of competition but not for moving down a level ... no idea.

Dennis, for example, ... how ironic would it be if WL granted him his release with the terms being no MEC transfer or Nova. Without his 'official' release from WL, he could still go anywhere but would have to sit out a season. Often you see players get a release but also a list of schools he cannot transfer to. Schools lose that power, however, with the 'grad transfer' loophole. If WL doesn't mess with him, he'll be eligible from Day 1 at Nova.

Speaking of transfers ... quite a few popping up on VC moving on from Concord.

Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    You can't change history...WLU has been dominant and Fairmont has played second fiddle to them in the MEC. But hey, it's the offseason and that's when you are supposed to do the should'a, could'a, would'a discussions!

With regard to Calhoun and YSU, I wonder if he's going to take any players with him. Were I a Fairmont fan, cat I'd be most concerned with would be Montgomery.
    Not unless those players are willing to sit out a season.

Correct. D2 lateral transfer ... no penalty. D1 down to D2 ... no penalty.

D1 to D1 (unless grad transfer) ... sit a year. D2 to D1 basketball ... sit a year (or forfeit a year ... your choice). Why you get penalized for moving up a level of competition but not for moving down a level ... no idea.

Dennis, for example, ... how ironic would it be if WL granted him his release with the terms being no MEC transfer or Nova. Without his 'official' release from WL, he could still go anywhere but would have to sit out a season. Often you see players get a release but also a list of schools he cannot transfer to. Schools lose that power, however, with the 'grad transfer' loophole. If WL doesn't mess with him, he'll be eligible from Day 1 at Nova.
    That depends on the league. IINM, the CIAA has a two-year 'residency' requirement for intra-conference transfers; a few other leagues have a policy where intra-conference transfers require a player to sit out one season.

Sounds like former WVU player Joe Mazulla will be the new head coach at Fairmont. This is no shocker as this has been rumored before the MEC tourney began.

He started as an assistant at Glenville State before heading to Fairmont State to be an assistant. He has been coaching in the Developmental League as of late.