Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking: West Liberty's Crutchfield Leaving for New Job

Default Breaking: West Liberty's Crutchfield Leaving for New Job

Headed to Nova Southeastern in Florida another D2 school

Default Re: Breaking: West Liberty's Crutchfield Leaving for New Job

Wow

Boat is about to abandon ship. Wow. That's shocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I had to guess it was a mixture of an obvious major pay upgrade, wanting to retire in Florida, not winning a NC, and easier recruiting to location. I'd look for either of our two assistants to replace him if the school is smart

5. Default Re: Breaking: West Liberty's Crutchfield Leaving for New Job

Check out Nova Southeastern's campus and arena on their website. VERY impressive - especially for a D2 school.

Former WLU player is an assistant there, they played last year and we blew them out. Crutch must have loved it lol. They went 6-20 so it'll be a rebuild but they have a lot of bigs something we severely lacked, also a lot of foreigners

Quote Originally Posted by timbertopper View Post
    Check out Nova Southeastern's campus and arena on their website. VERY impressive - especially for a D2 school.
    Haven't seen it but it's a private university with over 24,000 students which is huge for D2 at least for this area. WL has what maybe a little over 2k students.

Also to note, Sancomb applied for the Youngstown state job, how bout fairmont coach leaves too and we call it even and all start over

With the success the MEC had .... that's the drawback I guess. The rich schools come poaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    Haven't seen it but it's a private university with over 24,000 students which is huge for D2 at least for this area. WL has what maybe a little over 2k students.
    That's big anywhere. At that point, you're talking the same size as, if not bigger than the majority of Division 1 schools. Consider that IUP and West Chester both flux between 14,000 to 15,000 students per year. They are both the two largest state schools and it's not even close to the rest of the pack. Both change with each other every year between the 4th and 5th largest schools in the state behind Penn Sate, Pitt, and Temple.

24,000 is in the Grand Valley State range. I didn't know Nova Southeastern had that many students. That's a huge school when you consider the size of the schools in the MEC.

Former WLU player is an assistant there, they played last year and we blew them out. Crutch must have loved it lol. They went 6-20 so it'll be a rebuild but they have a lot of bigs something we severely lacked, also a lot of foreigners
    Yes. He took over West Lib (and someone correct me) and weren't they 4-23 the year before he took over or a record similar to that? His first year he went all the way to the WVIAC championship game.

He is a great coach. He did a great job at West Liberty. I hate to see him leave WV. A little surprised because I thought his wife had a law practice in Wheeling. But looking at the pictures of the campus, that is nice. Their basketball gym at Nova Southeastern is absolutely incredible.

Yep. Also add it is in Fort Lauderdale which is real nice. 24,000 for a private school means there is some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in that school. Endowment at $102 million, assets of $1.28 billion, $20.7 million raised in the year 2015 alone. Yeahhhh. Look out for Nova Southeastern in men's basketball 6-20 right now or not.

13. Default Re: Breaking: West Liberty's Crutchfield Leaving for New Job

How about Bob Bolen he was pretty good for years in beckley.

That's as big of a 'splash' hire as you can get from the D2 ranks. I agree, JDon, they are about to make a serious investment in the program. Money, facilities, Ft. Lauderdale, the big coach .... it won't take long at all until they are a national player. It can't be easy recruiting city kids to WL. He won't have that obstacle there.

If I had to guess it was a mixture of an obvious major pay upgrade, wanting to retire in Florida, not winning a NC, and easier recruiting to location. I'd look for either of our two assistants to replace him if the school is smart

Nothing to do with pay, or no NC.. It was the ADMINISTRATION /lack of competent people in charge.. AD spot has been hanging in the balance for 2 years now, no direction on any kind on any level with the two guys in charge.. (Lynn Ullom mostly)

Things are not good on the hilltop these days.. I'm sure the board will be asking questions, they screwed up bad with this new president it seems, he has bought into the previous imposters.. They just drove out the best coach in d2.. Just happened to be good timing for crutch.. he can now retire in FL, I am happy for him

Wish Crutchfield nothing but success. He once told me years ago that if he were to ever leave that it'd most likely be for a school in Florida.

I hope that Ben Howlett gets the job!

Nova SE's women's program has been strong for many years, making the 2014 Final Four in Erie. This is a heck of an upgrade for their men's program.

One example of great Nova SE facilities: The Miami Dolphins hold their training camp there!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    One example of great Nova SE facilities: The Miami Dolphins hold their training camp there!
    Yes, the school is unbelievably nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bware2 View Post
    Nothing to do with pay, or no NC.. It was the ADMINISTRATION /lack of competent people in charge.. AD spot has been hanging in the balance for 2 years now, no direction on any kind on any level with the two guys in charge.. (Lynn Ullom mostly)

Things are not good on the hilltop these days.. I'm sure the board will be asking questions, they screwed up bad with this new president it seems, he has bought into the previous imposters.. They just drove out the best coach in d2.. Just happened to be good timing for crutch.. he can now retire in FL, I am happy for him
    Isn't the football coach the co-AD at West Liberty with the women's basketball coach (Ullom)?

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Yep. Also add it is in Fort Lauderdale which is real nice. 24,000 for a private school means there is some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in that school. Endowment at $102 million, assets of $1.28 billion, $20.7 million raised in the year 2015 alone. Yeahhhh. Look out for Nova Southeastern in men's basketball 6-20 right now or not.
    Not that many on campus. They are big in online , one of the pioneers. At least half never see campus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast