Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: All-Central Region Team

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    695
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    10128

    Default All-Central Region Team

    2016-17 D2 Conference Commissioner's Men's Basketball All-Central Region
    PLAYER OF THE YEAR
    Justin Pitts, Northwest Missouri State


    FIRST TEAM
    Gage Davis, St. Cloud State University
    Aaron Lien, Minnesota State University Moorhead
    * Justin Pitts, Northwest Missouri State University
    Braxton Reeves, East Central University
    Jordan Spencer, Augustana University

    SECOND TEAM
    Rob Davis, Fort Hays State University
    Derylton Hill, University of Arkansas at Monticello
    Tyler Rudolph, Minot State University
    Brady Skeens, Washburn University
    Anthony Virdure, Lincoln University

    * Denotes 2015-16 All-Central Region First-Team selection

  2. #2

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Interesting....

  3. #3

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Interesting....
    Agreed, I'm a little surprised Bruggeman didn't make the list. He is a fun player to watch. Maybe it's an indication of how deep SW Minnesota is as a team.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector
    Posts
    46,301
    Rep Power
    1000000

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
    Agreed, I'm a little surprised Bruggeman didn't make the list. He is a fun player to watch. Maybe it's an indication of how deep SW Minnesota is as a team.
    To me Southwest has long been a program that emphasizes the TEAM aspect. They just haven't had superstars- instead the whole becomes greater than the sum of it's parts. Easy to talk about but really tough to do.

  5. #5

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    To me Southwest has long been a program that emphasizes the TEAM aspect. They just haven't had superstars- instead the whole becomes greater than the sum of it's parts. Easy to talk about but really tough to do.
    Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.

  6. #6

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.
    Can't speak for the non-NSIC players, but strictly from the NSIC side of things, he is high up there but the guys who made it over him had better stats in most relevant categories, at least when looking at the NSIC stats for the year (don't know if those count regional games and whatnot or if they stop at the end of conference play). From the stats available to review that way, the only categories where he was really better than Spencer, for example, were field goal percentage and free throw percentage. Granted, he played 4.8 fewer minutes per game than Spencer, but Jordan still had stronger numbers overall in terms of scoring, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio, steals, etc. And in my opinion, up until Busack came on in the second half of the year or so, Jordan had to carry more of the load than Bruggeman has to carry (other than in the first half of yesterday's game against East Central, in which Bruggeman did just about everything). And along with higher scoring numbers overall, Lien and Davis also had strong numbers in areas like rebounding and whatnot where Bruggeman doesn't make his bread and butter.

    Maybe your complaint wasn't any of the NSIC guys picked ahead of him, but there are already 4 out of the 10 who are in the NSIC, which didn't leave much more room for another NSIC-er. But if you disagree with the NSIC guys, it's tough to argue it on-paper.

    I still think Bruggeman is very good and I'm disappointed that he will be around for two more years as he seems to play really well against us, particularly in the clutch, but I don't necessarily know if he got snubbed in terms of the stats and numbers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Can't speak for the non-NSIC players, but strictly from the NSIC side of things, he is high up there but the guys who made it over him had better stats in most relevant categories, at least when looking at the NSIC stats for the year (don't know if those count regional games and whatnot or if they stop at the end of conference play). From the stats available to review that way, the only categories where he was really better than Spencer, for example, were field goal percentage and free throw percentage. Granted, he played 4.8 fewer minutes per game than Spencer, but Jordan still had stronger numbers overall in terms of scoring, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio, steals, etc. And in my opinion, up until Busack came on in the second half of the year or so, Jordan had to carry more of the load than Bruggeman has to carry (other than in the first half of yesterday's game against East Central, in which Bruggeman did just about everything). And along with higher scoring numbers overall, Lien and Davis also had strong numbers in areas like rebounding and whatnot where Bruggeman doesn't make his bread and butter.

    Maybe your complaint wasn't any of the NSIC guys picked ahead of him, but there are already 4 out of the 10 who are in the NSIC, which didn't leave much more room for another NSIC-er. But if you disagree with the NSIC guys, it's tough to argue it on-paper.

    I still think Bruggeman is very good and I'm disappointed that he will be around for two more years as he seems to play really well against us, particularly in the clutch, but I don't necessarily know if he got snubbed in terms of the stats and numbers.
    Fair points. I guess I was speaking more to laker's point about the SMSU program.

    I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they don't put more stock in team success. Not just because of RB, but in general. It's easier to put up numbers on bad teams, but does that make you one of the ten best players in the region? Only 5 of the 10 players even made the NCAA Tournament.

  8. #8

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Fair points. I guess I was speaking more to laker's point about the SMSU program.

    I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they don't put more stock in team success. Not just because of RB, but in general. It's easier to put up numbers on bad teams, but does that make you one of the ten best players in the region? Only 5 of the 10 players even made the NCAA Tournament.
    I thought that was interesting as well. That being said, I do think you can be the best player in a district, conference, region, league, etc. (talking all levels of basketball, not just D2) without being on a winning team, partially because it's not entirely the great player's fault if he isn't surrounded by good players. For example, I do think Gage Davis is amazing and while it's easy to say, "If he's so good, he would've made his team better and they would've won more games," but I really don't think it's his fault if Reimerthaler doesn't do the best job of surrounding Davis with the talent to win games (at least this year, I mean). If you put Gage Davis on SMSU/Augie/Upper Iowa/Moorhead's teams, I think his numbers drop slightly, but not enough that we wouldn't still be impressed. Particularly the rebounding. Rebounding really isn't inflated by bad teammates the way scoring can be. That's just a dude being willing to go in and crash the boards, which I have a lot of respect for, especially coming from a guard.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 03-13-2017 at 04:24 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Fair points. I guess I was speaking more to laker's point about the SMSU program.

    I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they don't put more stock in team success. Not just because of RB, but in general. It's easier to put up numbers on bad teams, but does that make you one of the ten best players in the region? Only 5 of the 10 players even made the NCAA Tournament.
    Don't they have a Tournament Team for this? Or is it only MOP?

  10. #10

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Fair points. I guess I was speaking more to laker's point about the SMSU program.
    I
    I guess I'm somewhat disappointed that they don't put more stock in team success. Not just because of RB, but in general. It's easier to put up numbers on bad teams, but does that make you one of the ten best players in the region? Only 5 of the 10 players even made the NCAA Tournament.
    I can only speak to those players I have seen in person. Davis, Verdure and Skeens are all very deserving from the MIAA. Although they weren't from top notch teams, all 3 of these guys are skilled and dynamic players. I've only seen Reeves play twice, but he is obviously a gifted player.

    RB is a good player, no doubt. He is just one of several that may have been overlooked.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    5,499
    Rep Power
    109995

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    I can only speak to those players I have seen in person. Davis, Verdure and Skeens are all very deserving from the MIAA. Although they weren't from top notch teams, all 3 of these guys are skilled and dynamic players. I've only seen Reeves play twice, but he is obviously a gifted player.

    RB is a good player, no doubt. He is just one of several that may have been overlooked.
    MIAA had really good guard play this year, much like the Big 12. If the kid from MSSU hadn't gotten hurt his name might be in there as well. Bruggeman equally deserving, but can't put them all on there. Tough competition.

  12. #12

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    I can only speak to those players I have seen in person. Davis, Verdure and Skeens are all very deserving from the MIAA. Although they weren't from top notch teams, all 3 of these guys are skilled and dynamic players. I've only seen Reeves play twice, but he is obviously a gifted player.
    Where would you rank Reeves if he was in the MIAA? From what I've seen, he's probably the second-best player in the region, but again that's with not knowing MIAA/GAC talent other than who's in the regional.

  13. #13

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Can't speak for the non-NSIC players, but strictly from the NSIC side of things, he is high up there but the guys who made it over him had better stats in most relevant categories, at least when looking at the NSIC stats for the year (don't know if those count regional games and whatnot or if they stop at the end of conference play). From the stats available to review that way, the only categories where he was really better than Spencer, for example, were field goal percentage and free throw percentage. Granted, he played 4.8 fewer minutes per game than Spencer, but Jordan still had stronger numbers overall in terms of scoring, assists, assist-to-turnover ratio, steals, etc. And in my opinion, up until Busack came on in the second half of the year or so, Jordan had to carry more of the load than Bruggeman has to carry (other than in the first half of yesterday's game against East Central, in which Bruggeman did just about everything). And along with higher scoring numbers overall, Lien and Davis also had strong numbers in areas like rebounding and whatnot where Bruggeman doesn't make his bread and butter.
    I guess my biggest gripe is with Rudolph. Must be nice to do most of your damage against the NSIC North on a bad team. At least SCSU had a winning record...

  14. #14

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Where would you rank Reeves if he was in the MIAA? From what I've seen, he's probably the second-best player in the region, but again that's with not knowing MIAA/GAC talent other than who's in the regional.
    I would say 2nd best, a better shooting Rob Davis. Virdure was really good, had a 50 point game vs Northwest, but he wasn't as consistent as Reeves.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryville, MO
    Posts
    5,499
    Rep Power
    109995

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
    I would say 2nd best, a better shooting Rob Davis. Virdure was really good, had a 50 point game vs Northwest, but he wasn't as consistent as Reeves.
    With all the good guard play in the MIAA this year and the good guard play in the regional, it's a toss up. I don't know where you begin except the gold standard in Pitts.

  16. #16

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Where would you rank Reeves if he was in the MIAA? From what I've seen, he's probably the second-best player in the region, but again that's with not knowing MIAA/GAC talent other than who's in the regional.
    He reminds me of Davis, both can flat out carry a team when in a groove. I'd put him behind Pitts and equal to Davis. Verdure wasn't particularly fond of playing defense, which knocks him down a notch in my book.

  17. #17

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
    I would say 2nd best, a better shooting Rob Davis. Virdure was really good, had a 50 point game vs Northwest, but he wasn't as consistent as Reeves.
    Rob Davis can shoot he rock as well as Reeves imo.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,843
    Rep Power
    189456

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    I'm truly surprised Spencer made first team, his stats (which is all most of these voters are looking at) make the case and playing for the defending National Champs certainly helped his cause. He carried an amazing offensive burden this year and showed in games like the one in Marshall that he can beat a team almost by himself. However, most of Augie's close losses were helped along by his clutch time bricky-ness from the FT line and his defense was inconsistent at best. Granted I'm pickier than the voters because I saw Jordan twice a week but those are my truths.

  19. Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.
    But those numbers aren't the ones that the voters will pay attention to. Its mainly about the points.

  20. #20

    Default Re: All-Central Region Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Bruggeman still does that AND is getting the stats to back it up. He's on pace to become the program's all-time leader in assists and steals AND finish among the top five in scoring.
    Am I reading your site wrong, or is Vinard Birch your all-time career assists leader with 396?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •