Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Job openings

Default Job openings

That time of the year ... some local openings in our vicinity:

Cleveland State
    Youngstown State
    Quinnipiac

I could see Fite, with his age, basketball experience and recent incredible (and fast) rebuild at Ship, being a hot target for a low-level D1 job (like the three above). I could also see the coach at Fairmont being a target.

Default Re: Job openings

Because I have no idea ... how many lower-level D-I jobs get filled by Division II coaches vs. Division I assistants? Anyone have a perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    Because I have no idea ... how many lower-level D-I jobs get filled by Division II coaches vs. Division I assistants? Anyone have a perspective?
    Roughly estimating I would say that 90% of the lower level D-1 jobs get filled by D1 assistants and the other 10% goes to D2 HC's with a proven track record of rebuilding and winning with less than a full deck of resources. Think about Fite and the job he has done at Ship, they probably have a total of 5 BB scholarships (half of the D2 limit) so he has to basically give his team all partials, yet win the PSAC Title on the road. Also worth noting is that the entire core of this team returns minus Abe so if he returned they could be even better next year with the team still in tact.

4. Default Re: Job openings

I would think it happens fairly often. I know Linc Darner went to Wisconsin Green Bay after leading Florida Southern to the national title win over IUP. IUP has a few cautionary tales in Kurt Kanaskie and Cindy Martin who left for bad D1 jobs and were never heard from again.

Actually, Fairmont State's Jerrod Calhoun played at Cleveland State for Rollie Massimino. He is from Cleveland as he attended Cleveland St. Joseph's HS. He recruited the Cleveland area at WVU when he was an assistant for Bob Huggins. He knows the Cleveland area very well. It would not shock me, with his D-I assistant experience, to land that Cleveland State job or even possibly the YSU job.

Not a lot. If you are a head coach at the D2 level, but have previous experience as a D-I assistant, then I think you have a shot.

I know current WVU's women's basketball coach Mike Carey was the head coach for Salem men's program and made the jump, albeit on the women's side.

Bruce Pearl went from D2 to D-I. UNC Charlotte had a head coach awhile back that went from Pfeiffer to UNC Charlotte. Greg White went from the University of Charleston to head coach at Marshall University although he had a one-year stop as an assistant at UCLA. I am just throwing off a few examples that quickly came to my head.

Missouri hired Central Missouri's coach right after CM won the D2 National Championship. However, the AD at Missouri asked him to resign after this season. It was his third season there and they were pretty bad. Going from D2 to SEC is a pretty big jump. Going from D2 to a smaller conference is not quite the change.

I think Calhoun will have a chance at Cleveland State.
    Last edited by JDonAB92; 03-08-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Just saw this on twitter concerning Cleveland State:

Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Not a lot. If you are a head coach at the D2 level, but have previous experience as a D-I assistant, then I think you have a shot.

I know current WVU's women's basketball coach Mike Carey was the head coach for Salem men's program and made the jump, albeit on the women's side.

Bruce Pearl went from D2 to D-I. UNC Charlotte had a head coach awhile back that went from Pfeiffer to UNC Charlotte. Greg White went from the University of Charleston to head coach at Marshall University although he had a one-year stop as an assistant at UCLA. I am just throwing off a few examples that quickly came to my head.

Missouri hired Central Missouri's coach right after CM won the D2 National Championship. However, the AD at Missouri asked him to resign after this season. It was his third season there and they were pretty bad. Going from D2 to SEC is a pretty big jump. Going from D2 to a smaller conference is not quite the change.

I think Calhoun will have a chance at Cleveland State.
    Unfortunately, Kim Anderson's transition from UCM and a national championship to Mizzou and the SEC basement wasn't entirely his fault:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colle...7b9595f4c.html

It would've been hard for any coach from any level to have success in the SEC program with the loss of scholarships Mizzou had to endure.

Meanwhile, there's more NCAA trouble in Columbia (posted by the Kansas City Star in November 2016):

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...116562358.html

And don't forget former Lemoyne coach John Beilein, who eventually made it to the national championship game with Michigan!

Tom Chapman, who led GU to the national runner-up in 1987, got the St. Bonaventure job in 1989 and was a train wreck his three years in Olean, was fired, and is now a high school principal.

Jim Ferry loss last night may be final nail in his Duquesne coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Jim Ferry loss last night may be final nail in his Duquesne coffin.
    If it isn't, especially after blowing that lead in the "participation ribbon" portion of the college basketball season (aka the conference tournaments), then something is really wrong at Duquesne.

Add UMASS to the list. The Duquesne people all believe today is the day on the Bluff.

LeMoyne coach Patrick Beilein may soon be done up there ... he's mentioned in about every mid-major job opening available.

I'd assume within days of their season ending he'll be cleaning out his office.

It's also being reported that Fairmont's Calhoun is also interviewing for the Moorehead State job -- possibly today.

Miami (OH) has announced neither the mens or womens head coaches will be renewed (Cleve).

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Miami (OH) has announced neither the mens or womens head coaches will be renewed (Cleve).
    Clev back to Gannon? haha

18. Default Re: Job openings

sorry mazzante has accepted the Gannon job. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mjtheman View Post
    sorry mazzante has accepted the Gannon job. LOL
    That's tampering, her season isn't even over yet! lol

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Clev back to Gannon? haha
    There are a few folks in Erie who think that this could happen. I don't think it will.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast