Thread: New MIAA 21-game schedule

Default New MIAA 21-game schedule

As I understand it, the MIAA will try a new approach to scheduling next year. They'll continue with the two pod system, only this year's top 7 teams will make up pod A and the other 7 will comprise pod B.

The schedule includes 3 games against each team from the other pod and no games against your own pod.

The MIAA expects all pod A teams to finish with league records of 21-0 and, when combined with continued dominance in the non-conference games, is hopeful at least two of them advance to the regional tournament.

Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

I believe I addressed my thoughts on the regionalization of DII in another thread - would LOVE to see Southern in another conference or region (like the GLVC) with institutions on a more level financial playing field w/ athletics.

3. Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

God, its too bad we don't have a team from Wisconsin in our region, they could supply the cheese to go with all the w(h)ine that is coming from the Southern part of Missouri. Good Lord, get over it. When I saw you guys play in St. Cloud at the start of the season I thought surely you would be a regional team. But you're not. Something must have happened for you guys to only go 16-12 the rest of the way but it did and now you're done. Just take solace in the knowledge that your conference will be represented in the Elite 8, and probably bring home another title, and get ready for next season.

4. Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

Quote Originally Posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
    God, its too bad we don't have a team from Wisconsin in our region, they could supply the cheese to go with all the w(h)ine that is coming from the Southern part of Missouri. Good Lord, get over it. When I saw you guys play in St. Cloud at the start of the season I thought surely you would be a regional team. But you're not. Something must have happened for you guys to only go 16-12 the rest of the way but it did and now you're done. Just take solace in the knowledge that your conference will be represented in the Elite 8, and probably bring home another title, and get ready for next season.
    Did I say Southern should've made the regional? Show me where or otherwise quit putting words in my mouth.

I thought my above suggestion was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    As I understand it, the MIAA will try a new approach to scheduling next year. They'll continue with the two pod system, only this year's top 7 teams will make up pod A and the other 7 will comprise pod B.

The schedule includes 3 games against each team from the other pod and no games against your own pod.

The MIAA expects all pod A teams to finish with league records of 21-0 and, when combined with continued dominance in the non-conference games, is hopeful at least two of them advance to the regional tournament.
    But UCM would screw it up with coach K and lose to Lincoln and Lindenwood at home thank god won't have to play Northwest,FortHays,or Central Oklahoma .

Not funny....and it would kill your SOS.

Truth hurts UCM wouldn't go 21-0

Schedule remains the same next year (just flip the locales, same order as this year). Going back to 22 conference games 2018-19. Also telling schools to not play the NSIC or GAC. Didn't work this year so no point to do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Try II View Post
    Schedule remains the same next year (just flip the locales, same order as this year). Going back to 22 conference games 2018-19. Also telling schools to not play the NSIC or GAC. Didn't work this year so no point to do in the future.
    The MIAA going to a 19-game schedule really hurt the teams in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Try II View Post
    That might not be the soundest suggestion in the book, especially when it comes to Regional Rankings. Each regional committee seems to weigh in-region games more so than overall record, so Pitt State vs. an LSC team (ie. Commerce, WTAMU, etc.) doesn't do squat for regional consideration. But, hey, if MIAA schools wanna weigh down their chances by playing creampuff NAIA schools to fill out a non-league schedule, that's on them. And then, you'll hear more whining about how the MIAA doesn't get any respect. And who's to say that the NSIC or the GAC will be as strong in the long run? That said, though, at least the MIAA teams have GLVC schools (at least the Missouri ones) to count as in-region, so it probably isn't as bad as it would seem on the surface, but a lack of regional games could come back to bite an MIAA team pretty badly when Selection Sunday rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    That might not be the soundest suggestion in the book, especially when it comes to Regional Rankings. Each regional committee seems to weigh in-region games more so than overall record, so Pitt State vs. an LSC team (ie. Commerce, WTAMU, etc.) doesn't do squat for regional consideration. But, hey, if MIAA schools wanna weigh down their chances by playing creampuff NAIA schools to fill out a non-league schedule, that's on them. And then, you'll hear more whining about how the MIAA doesn't get any respect. And who's to say that the NSIC or the GAC will be as strong in the long run? That said, though, at least the MIAA teams have GLVC schools (at least the Missouri ones) to count as in-region, so it probably isn't as bad as it would seem on the surface, but a lack of regional games could come back to bite an MIAA team pretty badly when Selection Sunday rolls around.
    They are kidding. The MIAA had winning records against both the NSIC & the GAC this season.

But wouldn't all those conference games be "in region". I know when they talk about all of the top 100 wins teams have, with the exception of Northwest, those are mostly conference games.
    Last edited by Randy; 03-06-2017 at 07:14 PM.

12. Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

This is all in jest.

Btw, in all seriousness, I feel like I heard that the regions are getting shifted next season. I'm not sure the NSIC and MIAA will even be in the same region.

Anybody know for sure?

This is all in jest.

Btw, in all seriousness, I feel like I heard that the regions are getting shifted next season. I'm not sure the NSIC and MIAA will even be in the same region.

Anybody know for sure?
    Well it's changed for football. Would guess the same for basketball.

EDIT: From what I can tell, the changes were only made to football and lacrosse. http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/c...a7f868832.html
    Last edited by Stanger86; 03-06-2017 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    They are kidding. The MIAA had winning records against both the NSIC & the GAC this season.

But wouldn't all those conference games be "in region". I know when they talk about all of the top 100 wins teams have, with the exception of Northwest, those are mostly conference games.
    Correct. But, at the same time, playing within the region but outside the conference looks better in the eyes of the committee and the numbers crunchers than a winable game against some NAIA school.

This is all in jest.

Anybody know for sure?
    That's in football only starting next season. There is discussion about adjusting the regionalization concept, but I haven't seen anything definitive in the early stages.

16. Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

Correct. But, at the same time, playing within the region but outside the conference looks better in the eyes of the committee and the numbers crunchers than a winable game against some NAIA school.
    Not intending to argue, but it looks to me like there was not any "in the eyes of the committee". When the 8 selected are the top 8 in the PI, it seems the committee didn't have an opinion.

Now, trying to line up a schedule that takes the PI formula into account is quite important. And because winning games always scores higher than losing, you need to find games you feel confident you can win.

But it works. Look at Ark-Monticello. Played 22 conference games. Played 3 NAIA's. Played 3 D1's (Exhibitions). Played 1 D2 non-con (beat Delta State at home). Qualified for regionals. No point to play other schools in your region when you don't have to.

i have a hard time believing cm & moso aren't among the best 8 teams in the region but i also don't know d2 hoops outside the miaa.

it's just more based on exp re: qual of play seen yr to yr in the postseason & extrapolating that exp into what i think those teams probl are this yr

but heck that's obv a thought process wrought w/ flaws so....?

19. Default Re: New MIAA 21-game schedule

Quote Originally Posted by northwest missouri state View Post
    i have a hard time believing cm & moso aren't among the best 8 teams in the region but i also don't know d2 hoops outside the miaa.

it's just more based on exp re: qual of play seen yr to yr in the postseason & extrapolating that exp into what i think those teams probl are this yr

but heck that's obv a thought process wrought w/ flaws so....?
    Everyone seems to agree that Northwest Missouri is the team to beat in this region, even the selection committee of course.

Missouri Southern beat them once and nearly a second time, so I truly believe MoSo is possibly one of the best 8 teams, at times at least. Unfortunately they didn't play consistently enough to earn that.

In about a week, we will have a better understanding of whether others can give the Bearcats as hard a time as a talented Lions team from Joplin did.