Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63

Thread: Atlantic Region brackets

  1. #1

    Default Atlantic Region brackets

    Well since no one else has done it, here's our Men's Atlantic Region matchups.

    Fairmont's hosting, the first games are on Saturday, March 11th, semis will be the next day and the regional finals are on Tuesday, March 14th. I'll update with game times once they get posted.

    1. Fairmont St. (29-2) 6 PM
    8. Bowie St. (16-14)

    4. IUP (27-3) 8:30 PM
    5. Kutztown (26-3)

    2. Ship (26-3) 2:30 PM
    7. Virginia Union (22-7)

    3. West Lib (28-3) 95
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (23-7) 96 OT


    Last edited by CardinalAlum; 03-11-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added Final scores

  2. Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    I might as well post the women's pairings while I'm at it.

    Cal U's hosting. Opening round is Friday, March 10th. Second round is the next day (Saturday) and the regional finals are on Monday, March 13th.

    1. Cal U (28-3) 88
    8. Glenville State (24-5) 86

    4. Shippensburg (24-6) 51
    5. Mercyhurst (23-7) 63

    2. IUP (23-6) 59
    7. Johnson C Smith (22-7) 55

    3. Virginia Union (23-4) 66
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (25-6) 58

    Second Round (March 11th)

    1. Cal U 7:30 PM
    5. MercyHurst

    2. IUP 5 PM
    3. Virginia Union
    Last edited by CardinalAlum; 03-11-2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added Final Scores

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,934
    Rep Power
    172486

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalAlum View Post
    Well since no one else has done it, here's our Men's Atlantic Region matchups.

    Fairmont's hosting, the first games are on Saturday, March 11th, semis will be the next day and the regional finals are on Tuesday, March 14th. I'll update with game times once they get posted.

    1. Fairmont St. (29-2)
    8. Bowie St. (16-14)

    4. IUP (27-3)
    5. Kutztown (26-3)

    2. Ship (26-3)
    7. Virginia Union (22-7)

    3. West Lib (28-3)
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (23-7)
    I'm not a big fan of having Wheeling-West Liberty Part IV in the opening round, but if that's how the numbers fell, then so be it. If you take the overall body of work, I would've flipped West Lib and IUP at 3 and 4 to avoid the conference rematches in the opening round (though, IUP and Kutztown only faced off once this season, unlike WJ-WL).

  4. Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    I expected West Lib to be 2 and Ship 3 if for no other reason than to avoid WLU-WJU part 4. Ship beating IUP twice at the KCAC was probably the difference.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,038
    Rep Power
    2238

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    My last comment on the seedings....I think WL should have been 2 and Ship 3....

    WL beat Fairmont 2x, Ship beat IUP 2x. Advantage WL bc Fairmont is #1.
    WL beat WJ 2x, Ship beat Kutz 2x. Advantage Ship bc Kutz is better than WJ.
    Concord beat WL, Millersville beat Ship. Both bad losses. Slight adv to WL bc Concord is 11-17 and M'ville is 9-17.
    And while neither team played a murderous Non Conf schedule, Ship should absolutely be penalized for playing two puke PSU teams in the beginning of the season... So Adv WL.

    I think WL deserved to be #2.

    Enough of the sourgrapes, time to play the games that you have scheduled.

  6. Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    My last comment on the seedings....I think WL should have been 2 and Ship 3....

    WL beat Fairmont 2x, Ship beat IUP 2x. Advantage WL bc Fairmont is #1.
    WL beat WJ 2x, Ship beat Kutz 2x. Advantage Ship bc Kutz is better than WJ.
    Concord beat WL, Millersville beat Ship. Both bad losses. Slight adv to WL bc Concord is 11-17 and M'ville is 9-17.
    And while neither team played a murderous Non Conf schedule, Ship should absolutely be penalized for playing two puke PSU teams in the beginning of the season... So Adv WL.

    I think WL deserved to be #2.

    Enough of the sourgrapes, time to play the games that you have scheduled.
    The only point that could possibly be nit picked here is Ship's wins over IUP we're both at IUP whereas West Lib beat Fairmont at home and on a neutral court. Everything else is right on. Throw in the fact that Ship lost to West Chester which isn't a great loss either.

    The good news for WL is that no matter how tough MEC teams play them throughout the season, they fold like cheap tents when they face the Toppers in the regional. So WL is the lock of the tournament in round 1.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,374
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    The only point that could possibly be nit picked here is Ship's wins over IUP we're both at IUP whereas West Lib beat Fairmont at home and on a neutral court. Everything else is right on. Throw in the fact that Ship lost to West Chester which isn't a great loss either.

    The good news for WL is that no matter how tough MEC teams play them throughout the season, they fold like cheap tents when they face the Toppers in the regional. So WL is the lock of the tournament in round 1.
    That's another point that should have been in WLU's favor, result vs common opponent. WLU beat WCU while Ship lost to them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,374
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Also worth noting that were you are seeded will have an effect should you make the final 4. As a #3 seed, it is quite possible that the Toppers would be reseeded to face the team the NCAA has designated as the likely NC...as a #2 seed they would quite possibly be paired in the other semi for an "easier" game vs the presumptive runner up.

    Of course, that presumes the Toppers make it that far. Considering how they shot against Fairmont, that is far form a certainty.

  9. Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    I don't know a thing about Virginia Union's team, but I'm not penciling Ship into round 2 just yet. They have the talent to win the region and picked up 2 excellent wins this weekend, but in the last several years it hasn't been uncommon to see a 2 or 3 seed stumble in the 1st round. Ship's guys are going to spend the week getting patted on the back and told how great they are. They're going to see a matchup with mighty West Liberty looming in round 2. And this is their first go-round in the NCAAs. I'm rooting for them but they'd better be careful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,966
    Rep Power
    56324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    I don't know a thing about Virginia Union's team, but I'm not penciling Ship into round 2 just yet. They have the talent to win the region and picked up 2 excellent wins this weekend, but in the last several years it hasn't been uncommon to see a 2 or 3 seed stumble in the 1st round. Ship's guys are going to spend the week getting patted on the back and told how great they are. They're going to see a matchup with mighty West Liberty looming in round 2. And this is their first go-round in the NCAAs. I'm rooting for them but they'd better be careful.

    Honestly that's a really good point. Real similar to the Gannon-SRU matchup 2 years ago.

    That team plays with a cocky edge to them. It'll be interesting to see how they approach this weekend and how they perform as the team everybody is talking about. If I'm not mistaken, most on here were down on Ship going into last weekend.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    I would guess Sleva is already getting ready to declare for the NBA Draft and scouting Super Agents ... probably wearing a 'Lottery Pick' shirt on campus today.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    I don't know a thing about Virginia Union's team, but I'm not penciling Ship into round 2 just yet. They have the talent to win the region and picked up 2 excellent wins this weekend, but in the last several years it hasn't been uncommon to see a 2 or 3 seed stumble in the 1st round. Ship's guys are going to spend the week getting patted on the back and told how great they are. They're going to see a matchup with mighty West Liberty looming in round 2. And this is their first go-round in the NCAAs. I'm rooting for them but they'd better be careful.
    You make a good and cruel point by reminding me of second-seeded Gannon's loss to Slippery Rock in the first round in 2015 right after winning the PSAC championship.

    I would say that the top three seeds all win less than 50% of the time.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    One other question ... I was surprised to see East Stroudsburg coach as the chair of the men's basketball committee. Don't athletic directors typically hold this role? What if his team played on Saturday or Sunday? How would he perform both roles?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,038
    Rep Power
    2238

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Fairmont got upset by VA State last year...it was a 6 over 3, if I recall correctly.

    There will be an average of one upset per region in the first round I surmise...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,502
    Rep Power
    31611

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalAlum View Post
    I might as well post the women's pairings while I'm at it.

    Cal U's hosting. Opening round is Friday, March 10th. Second round is the next day (Saturday) and the regional finals are on Monday, March 13th.

    1. Cal U (28-3)
    8. Glenville State (24-5)

    4. Shippensburg (24-6)
    5. Mercyhurst (23-7)

    2. IUP (23-6)
    7. Johnson C Smith (22-7)

    3. Virginia Union (23-4)
    6. Wheeling Jesuit (25-6)
    Site will be HAMER HALL if anyone wants to know.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Fairmont got upset by VA State last year...it was a 6 over 3, if I recall correctly.

    There will be an average of one upset per region in the first round I surmise...
    And, of course, 8-seeded Mercyhurst knocked off top-seeded Wheeling Jesuit last year.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    I can't remember somebody called that Mercyhurst win last year ....

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,326
    Rep Power
    1742

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Is this the strongest region in the country? I tend to believe so especially if you look at seeds 1-6. And Coach Brooks and his Bowie State Bulldogs always schedule tough during the season. They are a tough #8 right now as they have got hot. I know it is hard to compare regions, but it would be hard to find a tougher regional set up.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,374
    Rep Power
    357006

    Default Re: Atlantic Region brackets

    Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Is this the strongest region in the country? I tend to believe so especially if you look at seeds 1-6. And Coach Brooks and his Bowie State Bulldogs always schedule tough during the season. They are a tough #8 right now as they have got hot. I know it is hard to compare regions, but it would be hard to find a tougher regional set up.
    I think you can make that case this year. Good chance that the National Championship game will be the Atlantic Regional Final.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,966
    Rep Power
    56324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I can't remember somebody called that Mercyhurst win last year ....

    You certainly did. The same as I called the Slippery Rock win over Gannon in 2015.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •