Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 GLVC Awards

Contribute to D2

Default 2017 GLVC Awards

The conference awards have been released.

POY-Jeril Taylor, USI
    Defensive POY: AL DAVIS, BU
    COY: Scotty Davenport, BU
    FOY: Tate Hall, Indy

Really great to see Al win defender of the year. He plays as hard as anybody I have ever seen play the game and that is a fitting award.

No doubt that Scotty deserved COY, I think Watson would have been the second choice.

Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Rick stein coy women's bball. Who would've thought that. Is this his first?

Quote Originally Posted by glvcpro View Post
    I read it was his second (2000-01), and it is the 2nd USI coach as well counting Dugan for her two COY awards while at USI.

Nice award for Al. Somewhat surprised that Taylor got it over Eberhard, only because that article by the McKendree student convinced me that he deserved it. Up till then I thought it was Taylor's or Tag's. Good argument that when u lead the best team in the conference in the 3 major stats the award should be his. Of course I don't think it was unfair, there was definitely very good arguments for Taylor. Like I said I was just a little surprised.

Is there some kind of limitation on how many players a team can have on the all-GLVC tourney team? If not, I think Al Davis definitely deserved it. He played 3 pretty darn good games. Myers may have had a big game over USI but his team didn't get to the final.

He got it last time they made E8. Before Freeland left his side(who made the tourney yet again) and he ran stuckman off.

7. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Kind of shocking USI's WBB didn't make the regional...

Quote Originally Posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    Kind of shocking USI's WBB didn't make the regional...
    That makes them the first victim to the GMAC's auto-bid with an upset for the GMAC title, doesn't it?

9. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    That makes them the first victim to the GMAC's auto-bid with an upset for the GMAC title, doesn't it?
    I suppose so but were they really the "last team in" before that upset? I figured at 24-5 they would have been a little farther up the chain. Admittedly, I don't follow the women's side nearly like I do the men's though.

Quote Originally Posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    I suppose so but were they really the "last team in" before that upset? I figured at 24-5 they would have been a little farther up the chain. Admittedly, I don't follow the women's side nearly like I do the men's though.
    I'm in the same boat as you, not really following the women's team (they start their games too early for me to watch). But they had a better record than 6 of 8 teams that made it in, and were the 2 seed in the GLVC, as well as 7th place in the last regional poll. It does seem like they got the short end of the stick, in my eyes. Can't really say that for any on the men's side this year though.

11. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    Is there some kind of limitation on how many players a team can have on the all-GLVC tourney team? If not, I think Al Davis definitely deserved it. He played 3 pretty darn good games. Myers may have had a big game over USI but his team didn't get to the final.
    I agree, Al was a huge factor in these wins especially the last. Was very impressed with the new big coming off the bench too. Both of them shoot the 3 very well which opens up the middle when they have to defend that. Very tough to guard against.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
    He got it last time they made E8. Before Freeland left his side(who made the tourney yet again) and he ran stuckman off.
    ...and then he gets blasted in the first round of the GLVC tourney and misses the NCAA's. Good thing he was Coach of the Year over Drury's Molly Miller who was 17-1 in the league, won the GLVC tournament, and drew a 2 seed in the Regional.

13. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    ...and then he gets blasted in the first round of the GLVC tourney and misses the NCAA's. Good thing he was Coach of the Year over Drury's Molly Miller who was 17-1 in the league, won the GLVC tournament, and drew a 2 seed in the Regional.
    ....while starting 2 freshmen and playing 5. This from a total of 9 active players

Quote Originally Posted by crazznewt View Post
    ....while starting 2 freshmen and playing 5. This from a total of 9 active players
    Molly has gone 17-1 in the GLVC each of the last two years and hasn't won COY either year. Beating a dead horse, but the coaches who vote on these ought to be embarrassed.

15. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Nyla coached Drury to the only unbeaten season in GLVC history at 19-0 and didn't win COY, why would we expect Molly to win it this year?

Quote Originally Posted by DUPanther View Post
    You guys worry too much about these worthless glvc COY honors. Should have Hesser and this lady received them now and before? Probably. GLVC COY isn't putting more butts in the seats or getting them a better gig. Getting to the NCAA and making true title runs do. I'll take that over any conf COY or mini tourney bs.
    The only ones who get a chubby for this award are
    The likes of JMH and used car salesmen.

Maybe other coaches feel sorry for him. Knowing he never gonna move up or do anything in the tourney.

Edited: I was thinking of the wrong year
    Last edited by Tyler Madsen; 03-07-2017 at 07:00 AM.

18. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

G-MAC will hold their own...no one will beat Ashland.

19. Default Re: 2017 GLVC Awards

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    G-MAC will hold their own...no one will beat Ashland.
    Not saying it will happen again, but what happened to Ashland last year?

Was very impressed with the new big coming off the bench too. Both of them shoot the 3 very well which opens up the middle when they have to defend that. Very tough to guard against.
    Weyer and Cook are the main reason that I suspect Bellarmine will be better next year than this year, even losing Al and Rusty. Coles has shown himself to be very capable point guard and the combination of Weyer and Cook is a considerable upgrade from Rusty and George on the front line. The front line of Weyer-Cook-Eberhard is potentially dominating. Throw in the usual JUCO or D1 ready to play transfer and watch out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast