Thread: Has Coach Sparling's Time Come at CWU?

Default Has Coach Sparling's Time Come at CWU?

I did not want to be too critical on my Facebook page like I used to be. But it has been since 2010-11 since CWU won a conference title or even reached a conference title game for that matter. CWU's athletic director has gotten rid of a couple coaches already during his tenure. Is Sparling next? I mean, I would rather have a guy like Sparling than a guy like Romar, but if you look at teams like WOU and SMU they are thriving with their new coaches. Is it time for CWU to get a fresh start?

Default Re: Has Coach Sparling's Time Come at CWU?

I think the WOU AD made the right kind of picks in Bergeron and Shaw - get a young guy that has been a D1 assistant under multiple coaches. They have greater depth of experience and may be more flexible in scheme and game planning than coaches that have been in the same place for a long time, especially considering that the game has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so with the 3 point shot, etc. Or you can do what UAF did and hire a D1 coach, who isn't interested in a high pressure, job always on the line gig.

As for CWU, since D2 schools aren't too worried about filling 5,000+ seats a game and marketing merchandise and since the pay is about 1/10th D1 head coaching salaries, there is not a lot of pressure to move on from a coach who is performing mediocrely (is that a word?). D2 football and basketball are theoretically to enhance student life at the school, rather than generate revenue. Sparling manages to put a decent product on the floor every year, which is probably enough to satisfy the AD. I would not expect him to be shown the door anytime soon, that is unless some booster wants to donate the money to pay for a replacement for a few years (come on, you got the cash to spare). Absent abject failure, usually a coach moves on or something happens in the program that motivates the AD to send him or her packing.

I was shocked at CWU's complete refusal to play defense this year and their guards jacking anything inside the half-court line. Sparling's teams didn't used to be like that. That said, he's been a loyal guy to his alma mater and often puts out good teams. I can see the concerns, however. There's no guarantee, of course, that they would upgrade. WOU's one-and-done A.D. hired Bergeson, who was quite good, an assistant off a pretty middling Sac State program, though he coached at other schools. Shaw was picked by the latest A.D. and that was a no-brainer: alum with a strong assistant background.

If CWU made the change, I would understand. If they didn't, I would understand that, too. I heard Sparling was once offered a full-time assistantship it Gonzaga but turned it down. Not sure if that's true or not.

Good story here, sheds some light on CWU's season. Also, one sentence I didn't get, said one of 13 players for next season, I guess they meant returning for next season. Then the reporter named off three more guys. Sounds like they had a bunch of redshirts, including Sparling's kid, whom I heard is a good player. I'd bring coach Sparling back.

http://www.dailyrecordnews.com/sport...faa57fbdb.html

5. Default Re: Has Coach Sparling's Time Come at CWU?

If UW can stick with Romar for so long, then I guess we can give Sparling another shot. He does have lots of returners and redshirts becoming activated.

Quote Originally Posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    If UW can stick with Romar for so long, then I guess we can give Sparling another shot. He does have lots of returners and redshirts becoming activated.
    Sparling is a better coach than "Roll Out the Ball Romar."