Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Psac tournament discussion

Default Psac tournament discussion

Manchel vs Reynolds in an elimination game ... not bad Monday night entertainment. The two split this year -- each winning on the others' court.

Bloomsburg swept West Chester this year although the Rams are trending up lately.

UPJ swept Seton Hill. The Griffins have enough weapons to make this interesting but they have serious Jekyll and Hyde syndrome this season.

Lock Haven and East Stroudsburg split the season series.

Default Re: Psac tournament discussion

Too bad I have plans and can't make it up to the Mercyhurst Athletic Center. Should be a fun time.

UPJ may be getting hot at the right time. Gannon fans should be rooting for Seton Hill.

WBB....BORO and MC advance to play CALU and IUP, respectively. Pretty much as expected. Should be two good games on Wednesday.

UPJ all over SH early ... started with 23-2 run

34-32 Mercyhurst half

UPJ 104 SH 44 .... 5 mins left ... wow

UPJ 112
    Seton Hill 53

Final

For what it's worth Spencer Casson DNP.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-27-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    UPJ 112
    Seton Hill 53

Final

For what it's worth Spencer Casson DNP.
    Maybe Casson could have kept it to under 40. Wow.

I'm hoping that a team can't turn in that kind of offensive performance two times in three days. Maybe UPJ made all their shots today and they'll go cold against a better defense on Wednesday.

MEN'S FIRST ROUND FINAL SCORES
    Mercyhurst 88, Slippery Rock 73
    UPJ 112, Seton Hill 53
    West Chester 84, Bloomsburg 77
    East Stroudsburg 106, Lock Haven 87

QUARTERFINALS - Wednesday
    Mercyhurst at IUP, 7:30
    East Stroudsburg at Shippensburg, 7:30
    West Chester at Kutztown, 7:00
    UPJ at Gannon, 7:30

WOMEN'S FINAL SCORES
    Edinboro 82, Seton Hill 50
    Millersville 69, Kutztown 65
    Bloomsburg 79, West Chester 71
    Mercyhurst 74, Clarion 46

QUARTERFINALS - Wednesday
    Edinboro at Cal, 6:00
    Millersville at East Stroudsburg, 7:00
    Bloomsburg at Shippensburg, 5:30
    Mercyhurst at IUP, 5:30

I'm hoping that a team can't turn in that kind of offensive performance two times in three days. Maybe UPJ made all their shots today and they'll go cold against a better defense on Wednesday.

Remember, too, UPJ put up 93 on Slippery Rock this past Saturday. Not that SRU is a great team but it's pretty rare for a Reynolds team to give up in to the 90s. I kind of think it could play to Gannon's favor. They won't shoot the lights out three straight games.

I wasn't implying Casson was worth 60 points. I can see, however, how Seton Hill would totally self-destruct without him. Their whole offense and defense is built around him.

Quite a slate of games tomorrow night ...

UPJ (19-10) at Gannon (17-9)
    - Gannon swept the season series in dramatic fashion ... winning in Johnstown, 105-97 (OT), and at the Hammermill, 71-70.
    - UPJ, one of the hottest teams in the PSAC, enters on a 5-game winning streak -- the past four being all blowouts.
    - Gannon has dropped 2 of its past 3 outings
    - Gannon has defeated UPJ in 4 of the past 6 meetings in the series

Mercyhurst (14-13) at IUP (26-2)
    - IUP swept the season series ... winning (80-69) in Erie and (67-56) in Indiana
    - Both games were tight with IUP using a quick second-half burst in both wins as the only real difference
    - IUP is 7-5 in its past 12 meetings with the Lakers
    - As it's well known, Mercyhurst has been the rare team to have some success in the KCAC
    - IUP enters on a 17-game winning streak -- with its last loss Dec. 19 to Fairmont State in overtime.
    - Manchel would like nothing more than stealing IUP's hosting weekend away

East Stroudsburg (18-10) at Shippensburg (23-3)
    - Shippensburg swept the season series, winning (86-82) at home and (67-59) at ESU
    - ESU enters losing 4 of its past 6 outings (all tight losses)
    - Ship has won 5 of its past 6 games
    - Ship held ESU to a season-low 59 points in its last outing

West Chester (14-14) at Kutztown (24-2)
    - Kutztown swept the season series ... winning (110-85) at home and (91-85) at WCU
    - Kutztown enters on a 16-game winning streak
    - WCU has been a hot team of late ... winning 4 of its past 6 with the two losses by a combined 7 points ... highlighted by a 93-70 win over Shippensburg
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-28-2017 at 08:36 AM.

11. Default Re: Psac tournament discussion

Quite a slate of games tomorrow night ...

UPJ (19-10) at Gannon (17-9)
    - Gannon swept the season series in dramatic fashion ... winning in Johnstown, 105-97 (OT), and at the Hammermill, 71-70.
    - UPJ, one of the hottest teams in the PSAC, enters on a 5-game winning streak -- the past four being all blowouts.
    - Gannon has dropped 2 of its past 3 outings
    - Gannon has defeated UPJ in 4 of the past 6 meetings in the series

Mercyhurst (14-13) at IUP (26-2)
    - IUP swept the season series ... winning (80-69) in Erie and (67-56) in Indiana
    - Both games were tight with IUP using a quick second-half burst in both wins as the only real difference
    - IUP is 7-5 in its past 12 meetings with the Lakers
    - As it's well known, Mercyhurst has been the rare team to have some success in the KCAC
    - IUP enters on a 17-game winning streak -- with its last loss Dec. 19 to Fairmont State in overtime.
    - Manchel would like nothing more than stealing IUP's hosting weekend away

East Stroudsburg (18-10) at Shippensburg (23-3)
    - Shippensburg swept the season series, winning (86-82) at home and (67-59) at ESU
    - ESU enters losing 4 of its past 6 outings (all tight losses)
    - Ship has won 5 of its past 6 games
    - Ship held ESU to a season-low 59 points in its last outing

West Chester (14-14) at Kutztown (24-2)
    - Kutztown swept the season series ... winning (110-85) at home and (91-85) at WCU
    - Kutztown enters on a 16-game winning streak
    - WCU has been a hot team of late ... winning 4 of its past 6 with the two losses by a combined 7 points ... highlighted by a 93-70 win over Shippensburg
    Are the iup students on break? I know Gannon students are. With a good doubleheader what attendance do you expect for iup.

IUP is not on break which is a good thing.

My guess for tomorrow is a pretty big crowd. I don't think any of the local high schools have games tomorrow which will help. Joe's been on a pretty good streak at the gate lately -- cracking 2,000 a couple times. I'd expect he could get near 3,000+ tomorrow. They got up to 2,500 last Wednesday night for Clarion. I've heard they've have been pumping a lot of free tickets around town lately and I don't think they can do that for this game as the PSAC has a lot of input. Last year's first PSAC playoff game against UPJ got a pretty good crowd -- it was one of the more involved crowds of the season.

I don't expect Mercyhurst to travel much. Their home game last night looked and sounded dead.

Side note: Gotta love buying tickets to the game online ... $12 per plus the $7 per 'processing' fee. What a joke.
    If you go to the box office you skip the fee. It's just there to basically screw people who don't live in Indiana and want to buy their tickets in advance. Buy four tickets online today and you'll pay $48 for the tickets and $28 in processing fees. What a great deal. Family of four online today you spend $76 before you buy a hot dog. I wouldn't doubt they also charge for parking tomorrow.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-28-2017 at 10:21 AM.

Gannon students are indeed on break meaning that the crowd will be 12 less than it would be if school were in session.

IUP is not on break which is a good thing.

My guess for tomorrow is a pretty big crowd. I don't think any of the local high schools have games tomorrow which will help. Joe's been on a pretty good streak at the gate lately -- cracking 2,000 a couple times. I'd expect he could get near 3,000+ tomorrow. They got up to 2,500 last Wednesday night for Clarion. I've heard they've have been pumping a lot of free tickets around town lately and I don't think they can do that for this game as the PSAC has a lot of input. Last year's first PSAC playoff game against UPJ got a pretty good crowd -- it was one of the more involved crowds of the season.

I don't expect Mercyhurst to travel much. Their home game last night looked and sounded dead.

Side note: Gotta love buying tickets to the game online ... $12 per plus the $7 per 'processing' fee. What a joke.
    If you go to the box office you skip the fee. It's just there to basically screw people who don't live in Indiana and want to buy their tickets in advance. Buy four tickets online today and you'll pay $48 for the tickets and $28 in processing fees. What a great deal. Family of four online today you spend $76 before you buy a hot dog. I wouldn't doubt they also charge for parking tomorrow.

That's absolutely absurd for a Division 2 basketball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Golden89 View Post
    Gannon students are indeed on break meaning that the crowd will be 12 less than it would be if school were in session.
    LOL ...

Just a different take on choosing the winner. IF IUP/KU don't win, who would be the most likely upset winner? SHIP, GU, UPJ ?

East Stroudsburg is a very, very dangerous team. West Chester is as well -- block out the record. You catch either on the wrong night and you're in big trouble.

ESU has so many close loses in big games this year. That tells me they are just a hair short or they are really overdue to finally win one.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if West Chester and ESU are the two teams coming West this weekend. It's certainly possible.

Gannon would probably be a reach. The East was vastly superior this year over the West.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    That's absolutely absurd for a Division 2 basketball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You should ask the AD who receives the processing fee money. Sometimes those absurd fees are simply the add-on from the third party company and from my quick research (i.e. Google) it appears the $7 fee is from their ticketing seller, eTix.

The consumer paying it ... could give a **** where the fee goes. LOL.

Buying 4 tickets and being hit with $28 in 'processing' is a whole heck of a lot of 'processing' for an online transaction. If you choose the 'will call' option it's another $2/ticket fee. Print at home is free.

But, you are correct, they use eTix.

The cost is certainly one reason the KCAC is averaging 30 percent capacity for the season ... and has dropped the past 3 years.

The ticket cost is the cost. Feeling 'ripped off' is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Just a different take on choosing the winner. IF IUP/KU don't win, who would be the most likely upset winner? SHIP, GU, UPJ ?
    I don't see Ship as a dark horse as they are one of the top 3 teams in the PSAC and a likely NCAA tourney entrant.

UPJ is my dark horse ... two dominant senior players and a team that appears to be getting hot at the right time. I think of them as more of a Mountain East style team than a PSAC team. I think they will beat Gannon tonight. Gannon is essentially a .500 team that pulled out close game after close game during an early January eight-game win streak. Don't get me wrong -- it may have been one of my favorite three-week stretches of GU hoops ever, but it masked the team's true record.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast