Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MIAA Tournament - Men

Default MIAA Tournament - Men

My MIAA tourney analysis is this right now:

Seeds locked: #1 Northwest Missouri, #4 Missouri Southern, #5 Fort Hays, and #11 Southwest Baptist.

The 2/3 seeds are between Central Missouri and Nebraska Kearney. They have the same record and Central Missouri owns the head to head tiebreaker, so a Central win or a Kearney loss gives the #2 to UCM.

For the 12 seed, it belongs to Northeastern Oklahoma unless NEOK loses at Washburn AND Pittsburg State wins at Central Missouri, in which case PSU would jump up to the #12 seed. Otherwise, Pitt misses the tourney field.

#6 through #10 is cluttered. Washburn (10-8) will get the #6 seed with a win or a Central Oklahoma (10-8) loss, as best as I can tell. Along with those two, the three teams at 9-9 (Emporia, Lindenwood and Lincoln) are in the mix.

Missouri Western is eliminated – they have zero chance to make the 12-team field.

Default Re: MIAA Tournament - Men

Should be a very exciting tournament top to bottom. Very much looking forward to it.

Contrary to some folks on the boards, I do not think the MIAA logjam means the league is down this year. I think there was one team that is having a special year and a group of very good teams right below that. The fact that they have beaten each other into some ugly looking win-loss records has cost the league in the regional selections, but I do not think that the MIAA is inferior to the NSIC or GAC as a whole.

Too bad we are probably not going to get a chance to find out on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by MoHoops View Post
    Should be a very exciting tournament top to bottom. Very much looking forward to it.

Contrary to some folks on the boards, I do not think the MIAA logjam means the league is down this year. I think there was one team that is having a special year and a group of very good teams right below that. The fact that they have beaten each other into some ugly looking win-loss records has cost the league in the regional selections, but I do not think that the MIAA is inferior to the NSIC or GAC as a whole.

Too bad we are probably not going to get a chance to find out on the court.
    Not sure anybody said the MIAA was inferior to the NSIC or GAC. Just don't think the MIAA was as good this year as it has been. The NCAA agrees.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Not sure anybody said the MIAA was inferior to the NSIC or GAC. Just don't think the MIAA was as good this year as it has been. The NCAA agrees.
    You must have missed that "4th grade girls YMCA league" post.

Didn't see that one. MIAA obviously better than that, but still down I think. NW is very good, but not so dominant as to make a 28-0 conference run. As good as NW has been over the last 4 seasons, they still have averaged 3-4 conference losses. Second, 1 team ranked in popularity polls. Third, 1 team ranked in regional poll. 4th, UCM defends its home court as well or better than anyone in league including NW. I understand losing to NW this year, but that's 2 in a row for NW and that just doesn't happen. Moreover, they lost 2 in a row to Lincoln and Lindenwood. Last, point spreads. Usually see a lot closer games. MSSU beats NW by 17 at home and then loses by 30 to UCM at home? Even when UCM was NC good, they didn't dominate the MIAA the way NW is right now. It's a down year for the MIAA except NW. I don't know that's a trend. NW will be good again next year for sure.

That was an MIAA guy saying that. Not sure many people think there is that big of a difference between the conferences. Just the TEAMS within the conference. The TEAMS get voted into the regional, not the conferences.

I am not mad about it. I was trying to be funny.

I am not mad about it. I was trying to be funny.
    Ha. Didn't think you were mad, and it was funny.

The second half of my post certainly wasn't directed towards you/yours. I should have separated it like I did with this one...

UCM beats Pitt.State leaving MWSU and Pitt.State out of MIAA tournament.

10. Default Re: MIAA Tournament - Men

Potential first round matchup in KC for Northwest Missouri would be #8 Lindenwood who would be 22-11 if the Lions win their Monday play-in game in St Louis against Lincoln (which would pit the two MIAA teams with the highest wins totals this year against one another early).

Let's remember that Lindenwood had games against opponents which didn't count against D2 schedule but are included in their records so take that for what it's worth although might have helped them as a team.

Seeds:
    1. Northwest MO
    2. Central MO
    3. Nebraska-Kearney
    4. MO Southern
    5. Fort Hays
    6. Washburn
    7. Central Oklahoma
    8. Lindenwood
    9. Lincoln
    10. Emporia state
    11. Southwest Baptist
    12. Northeastern State
    Missed Tournament
    13. Pittsburg State
    14. MO Western

First Round Matchups:
    Lincoln at Lindenwood. Winner plays NW
    Northeastern State at Fort Hays. Winner plays MoSo
    Emporia State at Central Oklahoma. Winner plays UCM
    SW Baptist at Washburn. Winner plays UNK

Nvrmnd
    Last edited by MoHoops; 02-27-2017 at 10:24 AM.

1st Round Scores at Halftime
    Northeastern State 20 Fort Hays State 32
    SW Baptist 33 Washburn 39
    Lincoln 34 Lindenwood 32
    Emporia State 26 Central Oklahoma 37

Is Virdure playing for Lincoln?

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    Is Virdure playing for Lincoln?
    Yes, 18 minutes and 8 points in the first half

17. Default Re: MIAA Tournament - Men

Wouldn't be shocked to see 3 lower seeds win on Thursday. #6 Washburn has been on a good roll and could give Kearney quite a challenge. #7 Central Oklahoma could get past Central Missouri unless those better Mules show up. #5 Hays vs #4 Missouri Southern probably has no clear favorite in most fans' minds.

Northwest Missouri has handled #9 Lincoln twice this year, but Virdure put up 50 against the Bearcats in one of those meetings. Could be interesting if Virdue and Jaylon Smith for Lincoln both have superb shooting nights.

Halftime
    Washburn 39
    Nebraska-Kearney 38
    Back and forth first half, fun game to watch.

Final
    Nebraska-Kearney 75
    Washburn 69

Final
    Central Missouri 59
    Central Oklahoma 54
    UCM will play UNK Friday at Noon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast