Thread: GNAC games/results 2/16

Default GNAC games/results 2/16

SPU @ MSUB - right now SPU is up by 3 with just over a minute to go...

WWU @ CWU

SFU @ NNU

UAF @ WOU

UAA @ CUP

Default Re: GNAC games/results 2/16

Exciting UAF-WOU game. Hard to figure out why UAF struggled early in the year, they have some serious talent. I can see why they beat WWU.

WOU pulling away, Leaks huge off the bench, 5 three-pointers ... Wolves the beneficiary of some questionable officiating. UAF guy just got killed driving to the hoop -- killed by 2 WOU players -- no foul. Brutal.

4. Default Re: GNAC games/results 2/16

Well, CWU started like crap. Heated up though and are making it a game, despite Stepney and Ladd shooting horribly. CWU is rebounding just as good as the much larger Western team, and limiting the turnovers. So lots of improvement there. But now it is just a matter of being overpowered.

UAF down 3, 11-0 run ... Wolves haven't scored a FG in nearly 5 minutes, wow they are offensively challenged this year, it's rather remarkable how bad they can go into shooting funks. This reminds me of the NNU loss at home, minutes without scoring. They're just not talented shooters.

WOU travel and foul ... Trammell hits a 3 to possibly ice it, but boy WOU almost handed it away ... UAF played tough down the stretch. Not sure WOU deserved to win that. Play like that vs. UAA on Saturday and they'll get blown out at home.

7. Default Re: GNAC games/results 2/16

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    SPU 75 over MSUB 70 - Man. SPU is down, then they're up, they just don't wanna be done.

WWU 85 over CWU 72. In front of nearly 2500 fans. Wow.

NNU 88 over SFU 82 - Maurice Jones with 18 rebounds for NNU.

WOU 68 over UAF 61​ - Darn. I didn't watch it, cause the WOU stream is notoriously horrible at my house and I wasn't sure I could handle another 30 point throttling. Went out to watch high school ball... Yes, Tsull, the Nooks have really turned things around, but I heard the announcer talking as they were warming up about how WOU would try to take advantage of their depth... Good call. UAF's first 5 have kinda figured things out now and Kluting comes in and has usually really solid minutes, but after that they are hard pressed to find anyone who can score it. Nice to see Zach get 15 boards, then I saw Omlid got 17! Whew. Lotsa rebounders showin off tonight!

CUP 68 over UAA 67 in OT - Looks like it was a super tight game the whole way. CUP played them super tight up in Anchorage and they aren't eligible for the GNAC tourney, but they are completely eligible to mess things up for those that are...
    Gonna have to check out the standings and see where things are now...

I didn't see the Concordia win a mile away. Coach Barberick has done a nice job during their D2 transition up. Wiggs was 7 for 20, after awhile, you need to take better shots or quit shooting ... reminds me of some of WOU shooters, don't know when they're having a cold night. I saw Wiggs do the same thing at NNU.

Speaking of, the Crusaders are 9-8 in league, looking to secure a league tourney berth. I'm going to the WWU-NNU game tonight, hoping NNU can pull off the huge upset.

Current standings:

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/standings/

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I didn't see the Concordia win a mile away. Coach Barberick has done a nice job during their D2 transition up. Wiggs was 7 for 20, after awhile, you need to take better shots or quit shooting ... reminds me of some of WOU shooters, don't know when they're having a cold night. I saw Wiggs do the same thing at NNU.

Speaking of, the Crusaders are 9-8 in league, looking to secure a league tourney berth. I'm going to the WWU-NNU game tonight, hoping NNU can pull off the huge upset.

Current standings:

http://www.gnacsports.com/mbasketball/standings/
    Did you watch the game? I only saw the second half but Wiggs took good shots (he shot better than the Cavaliers as a team BTW). Sometimes Wiggs gets calls maybe he shouldn't, but last night the refs refused to call a foul against Concordia for contesting his shot regardless of what happened. I generally don't complain about the reffing, especially when I am watching a feed, but twice last night Wiggs maneuvered to within 4 feet of the basket, and I could see from the camera angle that there was no one between him and it. Both times multiple Concordia players converged, banging into him contesting the shot - no basket, no foul, rebound Concordia. I really think Wiggs has improved his shot selection down the stretch here - the last game where I questioned his shot selection was at SPU when on more than one occasion it looked like he just through it up in the general direction of the rim hoping to get a foul call. Recently his shots haven't been directed at drawing fouls (like some in the past) but to making a basket. I "think" that has made him a more efficient player and has been more valuable to the team (although putting players in foul trouble even if you don't score has some value).

It seemed to my admittedly biased eyes, that under UAA's basket the play was very physical with few fouls called. On the other end, with only few exceptions, UAA was not allowed to defend its basket without being called for the foul. Now, to Concordia's credit, they played aggressive defense, and the difference in calls at the two ends could have well been just because they match up well with UAA or that the different styles of defensive play were viewed differently by the refs (refs allowed banging of bodies but focused on position or touches to hands or arms?). Regardless, if you are going to be a winning team, you have to be able to overcome teams pushing you, without relying on the refs to protect you. UAA has no one to blame but themselves for the loss.

So now with its second 1 point road loss on improbable plays (last night's was at end of regulation to put it in OT), it is a very disappointing statistic that UAA now has 6 losses by a total of 30 points, including 4 conference losses by a total of 13 points. Unfortunately in the scheme of things (i.e. PI) the road loss last night hurts UAA - more than UCSD's 23 point beatdown at home by WWU would hurt UCSD for example. Well, still a lot of basketball to play - potentially either 5 or 6 more games before selection Sunday.

Just another example of how tough the GNAC is top to bottom this year. Think it is actually pretty cool that the 10 out of 11 teams are within a game of the conference tourney with 3 games to go(isn't Concordia eligible yet? thought this was year 3, but guess not). This keeps things interesting for just about everyone in the league. The downside is that it is possible that the GNAC will not get an extra at large berth to the NCAA this year.

So what is going on with CWU. It seems that the rest of the league has figured out how to scheme for them after playing them once, or is something else going on? The shooting from all their guards including Hunter has suffered this second half of the season. Had them picked second in the GNAC - looked like a genius through the first half of the season, but that is now looking like a foolish pick.

Looking for another low scoring game in Monmouth this weekend - another defensive struggle, unless one of the teams gets uncharacteristically hot from outside. The WWU-NNU game should also be entertaining. Hope NNU shows up - expect they will as it is their senior night and it is for a conference tourney berth where wins against .750 plus teams are valuable.

SPU is still a long shot to get to the NCAA tourney and keep their streak alive, but they may get their chance in the GNAC tourney if they keep playing well. Just a lot of fun, interesting stories all around the league now.