Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Men's NCAA Central Region Rankings Released (2/15)

Contribute to D2

Default First Men's NCAA Central Region Rankings Released (2/15)

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketb...gional-ranking

(Overall Division II record, In-Region record)

CENTRAL REGION
    1. Northwest Missouri State (20-0, 19-0)
    2. Arkansas-Monticello (16-2, 16-2)
    3. Southwest Minnesota State (20-5, 20-5)
    4. East Central (17-6, 17-6)
    5. Minnesota State-Moorhead (20-4, 20-4)
    6. Arkansas Tech (15-4, 15-4)
    7. Upper Iowa (18-8, 16-8)
    8. Augustana (16-7, 16-7)
    ------------------------------
    9. Northern State (18-7, 18-7)
    10. Central Missouri (14-6, 14-6)

Default Re: First Men's NCAA Central Region Rankings Released (2/15)

Nothing too surprising with these rankings other than maybe UIU being a little higher than expected and UCM being a little lower than expected.

I expected the Wonder Boys to be about fifth or sixth, so that doesn't necessarily surprise me. The one thing I will say is we will be having some really compelling regional Top 10 match ups here in the next few weeks. Off the top of my head, I know Upper Iowa and Augustana play in a week and a half, while Arkansas Tech plays at home against UAM and next week at East Central.

A lot to be decided here in the next few weeks…I think the only thing that's probably a stone cold lock is the tournament being at NWMSU.

Even after Northern's stumble against Bemidji this weekend, they're in the hunt. Really makes Augie's win over Northern and Saturday night's win over SMSU big wins as far as solidifying ourselves somewhere in the mix. If we beat UIU this weekend and win a game or two in the tournament, I would think we have to be in a pretty good place, even if an outlier wins one of the conference tourneys. If we lose one or two of our next 3-4 games, I will definitely not be feeling anywhere near as good about things.

Three of the top eight from the NSIC South. Obviously still a conference tournament yet, but Saturday's game in Sioux Falls is pretty important. Would expect that game to bounce the loser out of the top eight.

UAM has 3 losses but it says they only have 2 in this ranking. All 3 losses are conference games so it's not as if one of them was a non-D2 game that doesn't count. Any ideas on why this is? Are the records as of Sunday evening? That would make sense as they lost the 3rd game on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Toucanbird View Post
    Nothing too surprising with these rankings other than maybe UIU being a little higher than expected and UCM being a little lower than expected.

I expected the Wonder Boys to be about fifth or sixth, so that doesn't necessarily surprise me. The one thing I will say is we will be having some really compelling regional Top 10 match ups here in the next few weeks. Off the top of my head, I know Upper Iowa and Augustana play in a week and a half, while Arkansas Tech plays at home against UAM and next week at East Central.

A lot to be decided here in the next few weeks…I think the only thing that's probably a stone cold lock is the tournament being at NWMSU.
    A little surprised at UCM's position but non-conference D2 wasn't that great with wins over Bemidji, Duluth, SW Oklahoma (all below .500) and losses to Rockhurst and Arkansas-Fort Smith (all above .500). Conference record is 6-4 against teams above .500. Combined they are sitting at 6-6 against teams above .500. UCM has 3/4 remaining conference games against opponents better than .500. They need to win those 3 and probably get to conference tournament final to make regional.

I mentioned in another thread that I didn't think the MIAA was very strong this year other than NW. Apparently, the powers that be agree. Some of the NSIC posters think this is a bad year for their conference. Apparently the powers that be disagree. Not surprised to see Arkansas Tech and East Central in top 10 at all. I initially had 4 NSIC, 2 MIAA and 2 GAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Three of the top eight from the NSIC South. Obviously still a conference tournament yet, but Saturday's game in Sioux Falls is pretty important. Would expect that game to bounce the loser out of the top eight.
    And, I suppose, potentially help lift the winner out of that always perilous 7-8 territory. Although I don't know if it's even mathematically possible for the Vikes to jump beyond Moorhead...even if something crazy happens this weekend and the Dragons go 0-2. I can maybe see Moorhead going 1-1 with St. Cloud on the schedule, but it would be a nearly-unthinkable disaster if the Bulldogs of Duluth also took a bite out of the Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by NWHoops View Post
    UAM has 3 losses but it says they only have 2 in this ranking. All 3 losses are conference games so it's not as if one of them was a non-D2 game that doesn't count. Any ideas on why this is? Are the records as of Sunday evening? That would make sense as they lost the 3rd game on Monday.
    Helps getting NW closer to locking up regional host.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    A little surprised at UCM's position but non-conference D2 wasn't that great with wins over Bemidji, Duluth, SW Oklahoma (all below .500) and losses to Rockhurst and Arkansas-Fort Smith (all above .500). Conference record is 6-4 against teams above .500. Combined they are sitting at 6-6 against teams above .500. UCM has 3/4 remaining conference games against opponents better than .500. They need to win those 3 and probably get to conference tournament final to make regional.

I mentioned in another thread that I didn't think the MIAA was very strong this year other than NW. Apparently, the powers that be agree. Some of the NSIC posters think this is a bad year for their conference. Apparently the powers that be disagree. Not surprised to see Arkansas Tech and East Central in top 10 at all. I initially had 4 NSIC, 2 MIAA and 2 GAC.
    Lincoln's loss last night to Lindenwood drops them below .500. If CentralMO beats them on Thursday (if Lincoln wins the Mules are probably out), the Blue Tigers will have to win out to get back to .500. If they lose 1 of the remaining 3 they would still be a game below and would have to win at least 2 tournament games to finish at .500.

Bingo. The records are always through Sunday for the regional ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Even after Northern's stumble against Bemidji this weekend, they're in the hunt. Really makes Augie's win over Northern and Saturday night's win over SMSU big wins as far as solidifying ourselves somewhere in the mix. If we beat UIU this weekend and win a game or two in the tournament, I would think we have to be in a pretty good place, even if an outlier wins one of the conference tourneys. If we lose one or two of our next 3-4 games, I will definitely not be feeling anywhere near as good about things.
    The same Bemidji that UCM beat by 15 (neutral site) . . . . This process is maddening.

I do hope more than one MIAA team gets in. With the non-NWMo teams beating each other up, it is hard for me to judge the talent level of those teams vis a vis the other conferences.
    Last edited by MoHoops; 02-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    And, I suppose, potentially help lift the winner out of that always perilous 7-8 territory. Although I don't know if it's even mathematically possible for the Vikes to jump beyond Moorhead...even if something crazy happens this weekend and the Dragons go 0-2. I can maybe see Moorhead going 1-1 with St. Cloud on the schedule, but it would be a nearly-unthinkable disaster if the Bulldogs of Duluth also took a bite out of the Dragons.
    More likely that either East Central or AR Tech drops than Moorhead.

I think Northwest, Monticello, Southwest and Moorhead are pretty solidly in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by MoHoops View Post
    The same Bemidji that UCM beat by 15. . . . This process is maddening.

I do hope more than one MIAA team gets in. With the non-NWMo teams beating each other up, it is hard for me to judge the talent level of those teams vis a vis the other conferences.
    Bemidji is a 10-win team that has two wins against teams in the Top 10 of these rankings (Southwest, Northern) but lost games to 5-22 Concordia and 7-19 Crookston

Bingo. The records are always through Sunday for the regional ranking.
    Then why do they wait until Wednesday to release the rankings?

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatMediaStudent View Post
    Then why do they wait until Wednesday to release the rankings?
    Schools have until midday Monday to submit scores or stat corrections.
    The NCAA compiles the data and gets to regional committees on Monday night.
    The regional committees talk on Tuesday and the national committee talks Wednesday AM
    Last edited by Tyler Madsen; 02-15-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correcting my terrible phone typing

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
    Schools have until midday Monday to submit scores of stat corrections.
    The NCAA compiles the data and gets to regional committees on Monday night.
    The regional committes talk on Tuesday and the national committee talks Wednesday AM
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

Bemidji is a 10-win team that has two wins against teams in the Top 10 of these rankings (Southwest, Northern) but lost games to 5-22 Concordia and 7-19 Crookston
    My point was that Bemidji is a common opponent for UCM and Northern (other than both beating Minnesota Duluth) -- although I see Northern beat Bemidji their first time out.

Quote Originally Posted by MoHoops View Post
    The same Bemidji that UCM beat by 15 (neutral site) . . . . This process is maddening.

So the silo scheduling in football doesn't allow anyone to see how you would do against other leagues and is bad.
    But the MIAA and NSIC hooked up 22 times this year in basketball and the MIAA went 15-7. And before you start saying that it was the good MIAA teams beating up on the bad NSIC teams, know that in the five match-ups between the teams that currently have winning conference records in both leagues, the MIAA is 4-1. If UNK and FHSU both win Thursday night, the top four teams in the MIAA will have all played an NSIC team and will be a combined 7-1 against the NSIC. The top four teams in the NSIC by the regional rankings will have gone 3-2 against the MIAA and Moorhead didn't even play an MIAA team.
    So tell me again how important it is to play non-conference games to be able to rate the different conferences.
    Last edited by Hornetfan; 02-16-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Broke up the text

That's because UAM lost Monday night and the rankings only equate through Saturday's results.

Arkansas Tech and East Central each have one more win than what shows in the rankings.

More likely that either East Central or AR Tech drops than Moorhead.

I think Northwest, Monticello, Southwest and Moorhead are pretty solidly in the tournament.
    I wouldn't make that assumption considering UAM plays at Arkansas Tech Thursday night and if Tech wins, Tech would have the better D2 record and won both head-to-head games against UAM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast