Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Contribute to D2

Default USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Growing school with new arena on way
    Old overpriced theatre school bleeding athletic $$$ with soon to be renovated on campus 1500 seat "arena"

2. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Maybe? The first half is plausible. If I'm the AD at USI (or UIndy or Bellarmine) I'm taking a hard look at changing conferences in some way, including up. USI is probably the best situated for moving up.

The thing about UE moving down is that, having heard of it here, I went looking for any discussion of it elsewhere. I couldn't find it. Given the step down in revenue involved, it's unlikely unless something happens to them. Since those who are saying they will drop also dismiss them as "theater school", I'm inclined to see it as bias, not objective prediction.
    Last edited by Wabbott9; 02-14-2017 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished

Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

I would say that if uindy or Bellarmine were to bolt from the glvc, it would be the domino that sets USI in motion to look at D1. Geographically, the OVC is the only conference in the nation that USI sits in the middle of (almost dead center) and is compact enough to minimize travel expenses to less than what they spend in the glvc. It's also a group of teams that USI could realistically compete with to get their feet wet in D1. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

4. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    I would say that if uindy or Bellarmine were to bolt from the glvc, it would be the domino that sets USI in motion to look at D1. Geographically, the OVC is the only conference in the nation that USI sits in the middle of (almost dead center) and is compact enough to minimize travel expenses to less than what they spend in the glvc. It's also a group of teams that USI could realistically compete with to get their feet wet in D1. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.
    Do you play football? Evansville is old school and they are not going to the GMAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyan62 View Post
    Do you play football? Evansville is old school and they are not going to the GMAC.
    They will bring football back. They need 80 or more to pay 50k a yr. they already have a football stadium named after a basketball coach they play soccer in

Quote Originally Posted by Wesleyan62 View Post
    It looks to me that 9 of 12 OVC members have football, so it's not a requirement if USI really wanted to go that route. The catch is that it would put the OVC at an off 13 members...They'd probably prefer to bring one more in to round it out if possible. (BU?) And I'm not going to speculate on UE.

7. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

The current administration couldn't handle making the transition. Hell, I received a postcard in the mail for groundbreaking of the PAC and now it's been cancelled. Seems that they already had a groundbreaking for a building that they have yet to "break ground" on. A school being led by individuals who have no idea what they are doing can't make the transition to DI.

8. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

I would like to see the true finances behind going small caliber D I. I have a hard time believing it makes economic sense.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideMafia View Post
    The current administration couldn't handle making the transition. Hell, I received a postcard in the mail for groundbreaking of the PAC and now it's been cancelled. Seems that they already had a groundbreaking for a building that they have yet to "break ground" on. A school being led by individuals who have no idea what they are doing can't make the transition to DI.

9. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Quote Originally Posted by bkingbroker View Post
    I would like to see the true finances behind going small caliber D I. I have a hard time believing it makes economic sense.
    I've never understood the premise behind wanting to be a nobody in D1 rather than being elite in D2. That goes for recruits as well as schools like SIU-E and NKU that make the jump and flounder. Hell, U of E is a great example of that, too.

10. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Quote Originally Posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    I've never understood the premise behind wanting to be a nobody in D1 rather than being elite in D2. That goes for recruits as well as schools like SIU-E and NKU that make the jump and flounder. Hell, U of E is a great example of that, too.
    I agree. Unless the premise is backed by financial gain which I can't believe to be true.

Simple. If you're an elite D2, you're still a "nobody." At least to a recruit that isn't very near the school already. Unless your on TV, nobody knows you exist. Even if you do get on TV your on an "off the wall" channel or at an awkward time. Then, most likely, the people watching you already know you. So then it comes down to walking into a recruits living room and getting to say your a D1 nobody vs a D2 nobody.

I am against BU going D1, but the move probably made sense for NKU. The OVC wouldn't let NKU in, mostly because they were afraid that they would be better than the rest of the league in short order. Of course what most people on this board aren't thinking about is the non-revenue sports and how much more will be spent on those when a team goes D1. NKU's league is mostly in Florida, I would think that overall travel budgets are outrageous.

13. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    Simple. If you're an elite D2, you're still a "nobody." At least to a recruit that isn't very near the school already. Unless your on TV, nobody knows you exist. Even if you do get on TV your on an "off the wall" channel or at an awkward time. Then, most likely, the people watching you already know you. So then it comes down to walking into a recruits living room and getting to say your a D1 nobody vs a D2 nobody.
    I mean I do understand that part of it to a point but I guess where it loses me is if you're a D1 "nobody" and winning 10 games or less a season, I just don't see how that's preferable to being a D2 "nobody" that is winning conference titles, playing in the post season, and generally being very successful on the court. I mean if the same # of people ultimately are going to know your name at the end of the day, it seems to me like you would want to at least be winning while you're being ignored.

14. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    I am against BU going D1, but the move probably made sense for NKU. The OVC wouldn't let NKU in, mostly because they were afraid that they would be better than the rest of the league in short order. Of course what most people on this board aren't thinking about is the non-revenue sports and how much more will be spent on those when a team goes D1. NKU's league is mostly in Florida, I would think that overall travel budgets are outrageous.
    Actually NKU started in the Atlantic Sun but is now in the Horizon League which has a very similar footprint to the GLIAC, though I think it's a little wider East to West.

Northern is in the Horizon now.

I mean I do understand that part of it to a point but I guess where it loses me is if you're a D1 "nobody" and winning 10 games or less a season, I just don't see how that's preferable to being a D2 "nobody" that is winning conference titles, playing in the post season, and generally being very successful on the court. I mean if the same # of people ultimately are going to know your name at the end of the day, it seems to me like you would want to at least be winning while you're being ignored.
    Yep, there's that. For the record, I completely agree that I don't get the desire to go D1 when you have a high quality D2 program. I was just trying to add some thought on what coaches and administrators may be thinking when they make that decision. Also, let's not forget that "ladder climbing" potential may have something to do with it, as well. In other words, the ambitious AD may be thinking, "If I can take this program to D1, I can have opportunities to move to BIG TIME D1"

17. Default Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

A lot of what ABjo said is spot on but somewhat dated. Internet has had some impact to help D2. I still do not understand why a player would enjoy playing for a sub 500 team. Losing some games by 20 and not getting to play. By not playing you do not get better. If going D1 was so great you would not have hundreds transferring each year.

NKU already switched to the Horizon league.

Guess that had already been said

Quote Originally Posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    A lot of what ABjo said is spot on but somewhat dated. Internet has had some impact to help D2. I still do not understand why a player would enjoy playing for a sub 500 team. Losing some games by 20 and not getting to play. By not playing you do not get better. If going D1 was so great you would not have hundreds transferring each year.
    Internet streamed games doesn't help expose your program to NEW people. True, it helps your current fans and parents see their school and kids more often, but your average Joe fan doesn't say "let me go to some random D2 school's website and watch a basketball game."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast