Thread: PacWest games 2/11

Contribute to D2

Default PacWest games 2/11

The big game to keep an eye on tonight is Cal Baptist at Dixie State. 2 of the three teams tied atop the standings (both are 13-2 in league play), plus Dixie won the first meeting in Riverside, and is going for the sweep.

Further down the standings, Azusa Pacific hosts Concordia. The Cougars have won three straight, but still have Dominican breathing down their necks for the last ticket to the conference tournament (the Penguins are one game back in the loss column but own the tiebreaker.)

In other action, BYUH makes their last visit to the big island to take on Hilo, Hawai'i Pacific hosts Fresno Pacific, and Academy of Art visits Chaminade.

Default Re: PacWest games 2/11

No Michael Smith for CBU tonight, foot injury. No timetable for a return. Dixie undefeated at home.

Azusa took Concordia out behind the woodshed, 84-55. Joey Schreiber left with an undisclosed leg injury with about 8 1/2 minutes left. Not clear yet if he'll miss any of the last three games. If he's healthy, APU has quickly become the coveted "team no one wants to play" in the first round. CBU leads Dixie 28-26 as the second half starts.

Dixie had no answer for Kalidou Diouf (18 points, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks) as Cal Baptist avenges their earlier home loss with a 70-59 win in St. George. Hawai'i Pacific remains tied with the Lancers at 14-2 in conference play. HPU will host Dixie on February 20.

Also a cool 25 from Jordan Heading. Heckuva road win.

So, with two weeks left in the season, here's what we've got right now:

T-1: Cal Baptist (22-2, 14-2)
    T-1: Hawai'i Pacific (22-2, 14-2)
    3. Dixie State (16-6, 13-3)
    4. Chaminade (16-9, 12-6)
    5. Concordia (14-10, 10-6) (not yet D2 eligible)
    6. Point Loma (13-10, 9-7)
    7. Azusa Pacific (14-13, 9-8)
    8. Dominican (9-14, 8-9)
    9. Hawai'i-Hilo (8-14, 6-10)
    10. Academy of Art (6-15, 5-10)

Everyone else is already mathematically eliminated, and Hilo and ArtU will both be out with one more loss. The team I think may actually in the most danger is Point Loma. They're out of home games and their closing stretch includes visits to HPU, Chaminade and Cal Baptist, as well as the distinction of closing out two gymnasiums in the same week, as they will be BYU-H's last ever opponent in Laie, then head to Riverside.

Cal Baptist has two very winnable games in the Bay Area next weekend, then pay a visit to Concordia before closing down Van Dyne Gym with the Sea Lions.

HPU does not leave Oahu again until the conference tournament, but still has to play Point Loma and Dixie and then finish at Chaminade.

Dixie goes on their Hawai'i trip this week, highlighted by that big showdown with HPU on the 20th.

Chaminade has two home games left, Point Loma and HPU, with a week to prepare for each.

Azusa has three games in northern California where they should be favored in all three, but until we know about Schreiber's condition, you can't take anything for granted.

Dominican has three home games, the toughest of which on paper appears to be Concordia this Thursday. Dominican owns the tiebreaker with Azusa; Azusa owns the tiebreaker with Point Loma; Point Loma owns the tiebreaker with Dominican. No clue what happens in a 3-way.

Hilo and ArtU would each need to run the table, and I just don't see that happening.