Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Central Region Tourney Talk

Default Central Region Tourney Talk

With one month left to embellish the resumes', where do things stand in your opinion?

Today, we all know that Northwest Missouri is a lock and would host. IMO, the NSIC, the MIAA and the GAC are probably in similar positions as far as total bids - each league will get at least 2 teams, and no league will get more than 3.

I'll follow this up with where I see the MIAA right now and hopefully others can share their opinions about the MIAA too or the conference you're the most familiar with. Make a pitch for your team too.

2. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

MIAA
    Lock: Northwest Missouri, currently #1 ranked in the nation.
    Currently looking solid: Central Missouri
    On the bubble: Nebraska Kearney, Central Oklahoma, and Missouri Southern
    On the outside, looking in: Fort Hays, Washburn

The case for 3 bids: strong showing in non-conference games; has one of the top teams in the country.

Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Most of the year, I've thought there were two in the NSIC I felt pretty good about (MSUM, SMSU) with as many as four other teams in the running for maybe one spot. Going into the weekend, I probably would've given Upper Iowa a slight advantage for the third spot, but now I think Northern has a leg up for that last spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    MIAA
    Lock: Northwest Missouri, currently #1 ranked in the nation.
    Currently looking solid: Central Missouri
    On the bubble: Nebraska Kearney, Central Oklahoma, and Missouri Southern
    On the outside, looking in: Fort Hays, Washburn

The case for 3 bids: strong showing in non-conference games; has one of the top teams in the country.

Schedule wise UCM looks to be in the best shape. Four of six in the Multi to finish out with one of the road games at Pitt. In the next group I would say UCO has the toughest road. Four of last six on the road and all six against teams that are above .500 in the league right now. UNK also has four of six on the road but two of the games are against Northeastern. MoSo is probably in the best shape of the teams you have listed on the bubble. I wouldn't even include WU in the discussion for anything but winning the MIAA tourney at this time. They were swept by FHSU and UNK so they both have the H2H on them.

As for the three bids from the MIAA - at first I was skeptical because I just don't think the league is that good. But when you start looking at the other leagues in the region...the MIAA was 16-6 against the NSIC and 7-5 against the GAC. It may come down to individual match ups. Even though the MIAA dominated the NSIC if it comes down to an MIAA team and NSIC team that played each other and the NSIC team won that match up - it doesn't really matter what the other teams did.

The MIAA is not very good this year except NW. They have pretty much destroyed the conference and beat up Augie and Upper Iowa earlier in the season. I see 3 teams from NSIC including Minnesota St.-Moorhead, Northern St. and Southwest Minnesota St. with Augie, Mankato, Upper Iowa and SCSU on bubble. The MIAA comes down to UCO and UCM for next spot at this point with UCO owning the H2H. MSSU and UNK are on bubble. UCO and UNK still have to play 2x. UCM owns H2H over UNK. MSSU has H2H over UCO and UNK but still has to play UCM 2x. Arkansas-Monticello gets GAC nod with Arkansas Tech and East Central battling for next spot. Harding in there as well. East Central owns H2H over Arkansas Tech and Harding.

7. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Hornetfan View Post
    As for the three bids from the MIAA - at first I was skeptical because I just don't think the league is that good. But when you start looking at the other leagues in the region...the MIAA was 16-6 against the NSIC and 7-5 against the GAC. It may come down to individual match ups. Even though the MIAA dominated the NSIC if it comes down to an MIAA team and NSIC team that played each other and the NSIC team won that match up - it doesn't really matter what the other teams did.
    Agree with your thinking. If the NSIC and GAC each put 3 teams in and MIAA only 2, my feelings match yours - it would have to be because of a head to head outcome for the two specific teams.

Btw, as always there's the chance for the upset conference tourney winner which shakes things up. But I'd prefer to keep the thread based on where things currently stand in the men's races, and how the picture changes as new results come in.

8. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan88 View Post
    The MIAA is not very good this year except NW.
    Did Northwest Missouri go 16-6 against the NSIC this year?

Did Northwest Missouri go 16-6 against the NSIC this year?
    Of the notable NSIC teams (those in running for tourney spot) NW has wins over Augie and Upper Iowa. MSSU has wins over SCSU and Mankato. The rest of the wins include Wayne St., Bemidji, Sioux Falls, Duluth and Crookston. If that gets you excited about the MIAA's power, so be it.

10. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Of the notable NSIC teams (those in running for tourney spot) NW has wins over Augie and Upper Iowa. MSSU has wins over SCSU and Mankato. The rest of the wins include Wayne St., Bemidji, Sioux Falls, Duluth and Crookston. If that gets you excited about the MIAA's power, so be it.
    Actually, since we're trying to determine who the best 8 teams are, the head to head seems kind of important, don't you think? And while I'd be disappointed if my league went 6-16 against the other, then I'm fine with you describing me as excited about the 16-6 MIAA edge.

Actually, since we're trying to determine who the best 8 teams are, the head to head seems kind of important, don't you think? And while I'd be disappointed if my league went 6-16 against the other, then I'm fine with you describing me as excited about the 16-6 MIAA edge.
    Ordinarily I would say yes and in the case of MSSU and NW, their NSIC wins help because those NSIC teams are in the hunt for a tourney bid. UCM doesn't get any help from Bemidji or Duluth. UNK beat Wayne St. which is no help but does have good win against Henderson St out of GAC. UCO didn't play NSIC team but has a couple of wins against GAC bottom dwellers Northwestern and Southeastern Oklahoma St.

Still doesn't change my mind about the MIAA. I don't think the league is as good as it has been in the past. MSSU and UCM are having decent seasons but I don't think they are as good as they have been. NW is very good (NC good) and catching the league in a down year. It's unprecedented for a team to run the table this far into the season and NW winning at UCM 2 years in a row is unheard of.

Cats broke another record Sat in their blowout win at Lwood...They shot 67.9% from the field.

Maybe I'm stuck in a previous time, but I can't see the GAC getting 3 teams (time for Touc to set me straight)

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Maybe I'm stuck in a previous time, but I can't see the GAC getting 3 teams (time for Touc to set me straight)
    It's hard for me to say because I would generally agree that the NSIC and the MIAA are down while the GAC is up a bit. I do think it would be hard for the GAC to get three teams in, but the GAC was pretty darn close to getting three teams in last year and I'd say their chances are even better this year. If I had to give my two cents…

GAC
    Currently In
    Arkansas-Monticello - The Boll Weevils had a small stretch where they dropped a home game to Arkansas Tech and a road game at East Central, while squeaking out a double OT win at Southeastern Oklahoma. Since that three game stretch, they've looked quite a bit better.

Looking Solid
    Arkansas Tech - I don't know what their chances are, but they are currently 13-4 D2/in-region and do have a pretty high-quality win at Arkansas-Monticello. The win at Missouri Southern looked pretty good until they tanked a bit midseason.

East Central - The one downside to East Central right now is their neutral site losses to Augustana and Washburn. They do have some pretty good wins with a home win over UAM and road wins at Arkansas Tech and Harding, but they dropped back down to Earth a bit since those wins with a home loss to Northwestern Oklahoma and a loss at Ouachita Baptist (which is hard to rag on them about because that's a tough place to play no matter how good or bad OBU is). Still, I do think they should be in contention because 15-6 D2/in-region record.

On The Bubble
    Harding - To be honest, the home loss to Southern Nazarene REALLY hurt Harding's post-season chances. I won't count them out just yet because they do have a non-conference D2 blowout win against Northern State, lost a tough game against MSU-Moorhead, and a 12-6 D2/in-region record…however, that record alone should put them on the bubble.

15. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Good stuff Toucan, agree with your assessment. If the tourney selection were today, I think Monticello and Arkansas Tech would both be in, along with Northwest Missouri and Central Missouri from the MIAA and MSU Moorhead and Southwest Minnesota State from the NSIC.

East Central would then be a bubble team along with a few teams each from the NSIC and the MIAA, and I'm not sure East Central's non-conference resume' would be strong enough for a seventh or eighth seed, but they'd be right there in the hunt.

16. Default Re: Central Region Tourney Talk

Northern State would seem to hold the bubble edge right now for a 7th spot. That would put 3 NSIC teams in.

Leaves one spot for that third GAC or third MIAA team. Finishing with a 3 seed heading in to the league tourney and advancing to the championship game could give someone an advantage over the other.

Ordinarily I would say yes and in the case of MSSU and NW, their NSIC wins help because those NSIC teams are in the hunt for a tourney bid. UCM doesn't get any help from Bemidji or Duluth. UNK beat Wayne St. which is no help but does have good win against Henderson St out of GAC. UCO didn't play NSIC team but has a couple of wins against GAC bottom dwellers Northwestern and Southeastern Oklahoma St.

Still doesn't change my mind about the MIAA. I don't think the league is as good as it has been in the past. MSSU and UCM are having decent seasons but I don't think they are as good as they have been. NW is very good (NC good) and catching the league in a down year. It's unprecedented for a team to run the table this far into the season and NW winning at UCM 2 years in a row is unheard of.
    Unprecedented to run the table this far into the season in conference play?

CentralMO's resume scares me. The Mules are 12-6 against D2 teams. They are 3-6 against teams at or above .500. One of those wins (Lincoln - 1 game over) and 2 of the losses (Ft Smith - even & Hays - 1 over) are near the .500 mark. It hurts the Mules if any of those fall below .500. The only good teams remaining are the second game vs Lincoln and 2 with Southern. CentralMO is 9-0 (right now) against teams below .500 so they have "taken care of business" against the below average teams.

When do the regional rankings start to come out this year?

Quote Originally Posted by fanofnsic View Post
    When do the regional rankings start to come out this year?
    Last year the first rankings came on on Feb. 17, so maybe another week away????

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast