Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Blog Entries
    Contribute to D2

Default Saint Joseph's College Closing

The Board of Trustees at Saint Joseph's College announced tonight that the University is suspending all academic activities after the Spring 2017 semester. Tonight, the lives of a lot of great students, student-athletes, coaches, faculty, staff and alumni were flipped upside-down, and my heart goes out to each of them.

Here is a link to a local news story: http://fox59.com/2017/02/03/saint-jo...ng-semester-2/

Default Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Hate to see this for many reasons beyond athletics.

Sad news.

I can't even begin to imagine what those students are feeling right now. It's devastating. And even more so to the town of Rensselaer. There's not a whole lot there other than the college, so this is just bad news all around.

Prayers to all affected. Heartbreaking.

Well.......that just stinks.

Will miss the Pumas.

7. Default Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Will the GLVC be able to add another school that quickly for the 2017-18 year?

Very sad to see this.

As sad as this situation is, I'm a little bit curious to know if/how any of their athletes will be recruited by other teams in the league. I hear that the NCAA would grant immediate eligibility due to a school closing, but are they limited to GLVC, or would they have the option to branch out to other conferences as well?

Looking at their men's basketball roster, they've got 3 guys from Indianapolis, 3 from Chicagoland region, one from Lafayette, one from Richmond IN, one from Sandusky, OH, one from Kansas City, one from the middle of Missouri. And one from Spain.

I'm curious if these kids will gravitate back toward their hometowns - granted some of them would never see minutes on their closest teams. But I'm thinking that Gillespie could play for UWP, Jeffirs at Lewis, K. Williams at Rockhurst. Daniels, Hardaway and Carpenter may get some attention from UIndy, BU, or USI.

Map of schools with St Joe's men's team hometowns added:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13T...eU&usp=sharing

10. Default Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

If they are restricted in any way then the NCAA needs to be shut down and replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    As sad as this situation is, I'm a little bit curious to know if/how any of their athletes will be recruited by other teams in the league. I hear that the NCAA would grant immediate eligibility due to a school closing, but are they limited to GLVC, or would they have the option to branch out to other conferences as well?

Looking at their men's basketball roster, they've got 3 guys from Indianapolis, 3 from Chicagoland region, one from Lafayette, one from Richmond IN, one from Sandusky, OH, one from Kansas City, one from the middle of Missouri. And one from Spain.

I'm curious if these kids will gravitate back toward their hometowns - granted some of them would never see minutes on their closest teams. But I'm thinking that Gillespie could play for UWP, Jeffirs at Lewis, K. Williams at Rockhurst. Daniels, Hardaway and Carpenter may get some attention from UIndy, BU, or USI.

Map of schools with St Joe's men's team hometowns added:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=13T...eU&usp=sharing

I don't think the NCAA would restrict them in anyway. I guess it's possible the GLVC could apply their rule about having to sit out a year if a player transfers within the GLVC but I doubt they would want to harm the players in anyway and would actually want to welcome them to stay in the GLVC. I'm sure there is an exception to the rule for a school that is closing or shutting down their athletics.

Btw, Williams and Hardaway could start for anybody in the GLVC. They were pretty impressive against BU.

12. Default Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

I don't think the NCAA would restrict them - I don't think they would dictate what conference a player can or can't transfer to in any event - I just wonder if the GLVC would enforce their transfer rule where if you transfer in-conference you have to sit out a year.

It's also worth noting that there are no seniors on this year's squad. I think USI /BU/UIndy really have an opportunity to reach out to a few of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    I don't think the NCAA would restrict them - I don't think they would dictate what conference a player can or can't transfer to in any event - I just wonder if the GLVC would enforce their transfer rule where if you transfer in-conference you have to sit out a year.
    Those rules exist to protect the original school.....in this case, who is there to protect?

15. Default Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Quote Originally Posted by Lawson View Post
    Those rules exist to protect the original school.....in this case, who is there to protect?
    I agree, but it's the GLVC so common sense doesn't always apply.

It's also worth noting that there are no seniors on this year's squad. I think USI /BU/UIndy really have an opportunity to reach out to a few of these guys.
    I think Scotty would only be interested in someone who is a very good student and citizen. I thought Williams looked very good against BU. Hardaway looked talented but not sure he would be a fit for coachability.

Typically, in a situation like this, the NCAA will allow transfers without restrictions - including transfers to an intra-conference rival - when a school is closed as is the case here. The GLVC league office will likely also be used as a resource for student-athletes who are left in limbo. The only question would be who would have possession of a student's transcripts; I don't know that part of Indiana at all, but I'd suspect that there are procedures in place to ensure that academic records are retained.

This exact scenario played out when Dowling College - a private school on New York's Long Island and a member of D2's East Coast Conference - closed their doors at the end of the last academic year. As I recall, affected student-athletes from Dowling were directed to the ECC's offices with respect to academic transcripts and eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    As noted in my other comment on this post, I don't see that being the case, considering the school the student is transferring from will no longer exist.

It's the same scenario that's played out when a specific sports program is discontinued (ie. Nebraska-Omaha, Alabama-Birmingham or Boston University football, for example), only we're talking about an entire athletic program - and university - in this case.

http://herosports.com/news/d2-sports...ollege-closing

This writer speculates that UIndy may be better off moving to the G-MAC. I honestly hadn't even thought of that as an implication of St Joe closing. Any thoughts on that?

http://herosports.com/news/d2-sports...ollege-closing

This writer speculates that UIndy may be better off moving to the G-MAC. I honestly hadn't even thought of that as an implication of St Joe closing. Any thoughts on that?
    A) Is HoundDog Zach Prosba? HoundDog said he thought this was a possibility earlier today. Had never heard it before, now twice in one day.
    B) Is the G-MAC footprint really any tighter for UIndy? They look pretty similar to me. Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...7/7d/Cbdii.PNG
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-08-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast