Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Joseph's College - closing its doors

Contribute to D2

Default St. Joseph's College - closing its doors

Very sorry to read that St. Joes will be ceasing operations after the spring 2017 semester. Probably UIndy's biggest rival in the GLVC. Sad day for the coaches, players and whole program. Sad day all around.

Best of luck to Coach Day, his assistant coaches and players.

Default Re: St. Joseph's College - closing its doors

This is terrible news for the students, student-athletes, faculty and staff whose worlds were just flipped upside-down. The players and coaches at Saint Joseph's are great individuals, and I hope that they each can make the best of this incredibly difficult situation.

Here is a link to a local news story: http://wlfi.com/2017/02/03/board-of-...sephs-college/

Here's the story from a national higher ed news site: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...aign=IHEbuffer

This is a tough one. I'm giving myself away here. My family gave everything they had to this institution. Though I'm not a grad, was very close to SJC growing up as my father coached here and stayed loyal to them through and through. My mother and father in law were loved by many and gave their lives to SJC...literally. Both died untimely deaths and are most likely doing a slow roll in their graves. I know many alums are waking up with hangovers this morning having mourned this tremendous loss. The way the admin/board handled this was horrible to say the least. Rensselaer will suffer, students will suffer, staff will suffer, alums will suffer, GLVC will suffer. Please keep them all in your thoughts.
    PS-Now that I have revealed myself, I promise only to say good things about Saginaw Valley's offense this year since my kid will be senior.

Terrible news. My son coached there for a season and thought the world of everyone and everything. Best wishes and luck to Coach Day and his staff, players, administration, families, boosters and fans.

Colleges don't close in a vacuum; since this closing is 9 years after the crash, it's probably poor business decisions on the part of the previous administration. Can't believe this new President (Pastoor) could bring St Joseph to it's knees in just one year.

I watched very intently when Dana College (NAIA-Great Plains Conference) went through about a three-step disintegration process that ended in summer of 2010, (even tried going for-profit). The Crash had a major impact then, but fortunately Midland University, 20 miles away, had a plan in place to assist the students with free tuition for a year. The Midland President at the time is now Nebraska's U.S. Senator Ben Sasse.

Still feel bad for all involved.

Does anyone know if they signed any kids on Wednesday? (I hope not) It looks like the school deleted all stories / tweets associated with NLI day.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-06-2017 at 02:57 PM.

So which one of these 4 (Lincoln, SBU, Lindenwood, Mo Southern) would the GLVC want to get back to a 16-team league? Also helps the football schedule

Have zero inside knowledge......but at some point UIndy will jump to the GMAC. I don't for a second believe that being a founding member of the GLVC.....will have any input on their decision. At some point the cost of the spread out nature of the schools in the GLVC and the travel involved for all sports.....will outweigh any loyalty to the GLVC.

I could be way off base....but don't think I am. Time frame??.....if someone told me 5-7 years.....I'd take the under.

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
    Have zero inside knowledge......but at some point UIndy will jump to the GMAC. I don't for a second believe that being a founding member of the GLVC.....will have any input on their decision. At some point the cost of the spread out nature of the schools in the GLVC and the travel involved for all sports.....will outweigh any loyalty to the GLVC.

I could be way off base....but don't think I am. Time frame??.....if someone told me 5-7 years.....I'd take the under.
    Hope you're right. Would love to see UIndy in the GMAC.

Lindenwood tried to get in the GLVC previously but there wasn't an opening. It would not surprise me at all to see Lindenwood end up in the GLVC now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Lindenwood tried to get in the GLVC previously but there wasn't an opening. It would not surprise me at all to see Lindenwood end up in the GLVC now.
    Which, in a way, makes sense geographically, considering they're closer to the GLVC footprint than they are to most of the MIAA footprint in the St. Louis area (though with Rockhurst and William Jewell in the KC Metro area, that kinda defeats that argument). If that does happen, how does the MIAA respond? Would they try and bring SBU back into the fold for football to get back to 12 schools?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Which, in a way, makes sense geographically, considering they're closer to the GLVC footprint than they are to most of the MIAA footprint in the St. Louis area (though with Rockhurst and William Jewell in the KC Metro area, that kinda defeats that argument). If that does happen, how does the MIAA respond? Would they try and bring SBU back into the fold for football to get back to 12 schools?
    No, I don't think Southwest or Lincoln want any part of MIAA football. If anything, with a new commish, those schools may be asked to leave the MIAA in all sports. They offer little to the conference, other than easy wins. For example, SBU didn't win a single conference game in volleyball, men's soccer and women's soccer (0-37). At the moment, Lincoln is dangerous in men's basketball but the bottom will fall out of that program once their two guards leave after this year.

Honestly, SBU and LU should want to join the GAC or GLVC.

Came across this article today on Twitter........kind of echoes my previous post........

http://herosports.com/news/d2-sports...ollege-closing

Going to miss the Pumas.

Quote Originally Posted by Try II View Post
    No, I don't think Southwest or Lincoln want any part of MIAA football. If anything, with a new commish, those schools may be asked to leave the MIAA in all sports. They offer little to the conference, other than easy wins. For example, SBU didn't win a single conference game in volleyball, men's soccer and women's soccer (0-37). At the moment, Lincoln is dangerous in men's basketball but the bottom will fall out of that program once their two guards leave after this year.

Honestly, SBU and LU should want to join the GAC or GLVC.
    I could see SBU or Lincoln leaving the MIAA eventually, but if both end up in the GLVC, do you think they might take Lindenwood with them to bring the GLVC to 18 schools?

16. Default Re: St. Joseph's College - closing its doors

Hard to think an institution of over 100 years can just close like that. Could it be a bold strategy? Maybe they announce a closing to get the alums to step up and bail them out?

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I could see SBU or Lincoln leaving the MIAA eventually, but if both end up in the GLVC, do you think they might take Lindenwood with them to bring the GLVC to 18 schools?
    I can't see Lincoln becoming a full-fledged GLVC member. I believe the GLVC requires seven core sports -- volleyball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and softball -- and Lincoln currently only sponsors three of those (MBB, WBB, SB), having also just cut baseball after last season.

In my mind, SBU and/or Lindenwood make sense on many, many levels as a future GLVC member; however, I don't have any idea about the desire within those institutions to move from the MIAA to the GLVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
    I can't see Lincoln becoming a full-fledged GLVC member. I believe the GLVC requires seven core sports -- volleyball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and softball -- and Lincoln currently only sponsors three of those (MBB, WBB, SB), having also just cut baseball after last season.

In my mind, SBU and/or Lindenwood make sense on many, many levels as a future GLVC member; however, I don't have any idea about the desire within those institutions to move from the MIAA to the GLVC.
    I know some conferences have 'core sports' requirements (Mountain East and G-MAC come to mind); wasn't aware of the GLVC's requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganfb View Post
    Hard to think an institution of over 100 years can just close like that. Could it be a bold strategy? Maybe they announce a closing to get the alums to step up and bail them out?
    I can tell you the alums are fighting back. Vote of no confidence in Board and current officers. Information has not been forthcoming from Pastoor. They cancelled their annual Little 500 but the alumni are showing up for a huge tailgate to support students and employees. The IN AG has a signed petition requesting a formal investigation. Alums reaching out to dioceses in Chicago, South Bend, Fort Wayne, Cincy. I'll be there for Little 500 and will report any info I pick up on.

20. Default Re: St. Joseph's College - closing its doors

Quote Originally Posted by saggydad View Post
    I can tell you the alums are fighting back. Vote of no confidence in Board and current officers. Information has not been forthcoming from Pastoor. They cancelled their annual Little 500 but the alumni are showing up for a huge tailgate to support students and employees. The IN AG has a signed petition requesting a formal investigation. Alums reaching out to dioceses in Chicago, South Bend, Fort Wayne, Cincy. I'll be there for Little 500 and will report any info I pick up on.
    Must be hard on all those involved. Reminds me of when high schools close. Leaves an empty feeling in the alums forever.

Think St Joe and U Indy could use a conference with east-west or north-south divisions so they don't spend so much on travel. and so fans can road trip to away games. GLVC keeps expanding west and that doesn't/didn't help St Joe/U Indy. If the Pumas are really gone, the dream of an eastern GLVC division with Lewis, Southern Indiana and Bellarmine finally adding football is gone too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast