Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    78497

    Default Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    HPU wins rather convincingly, well, that's what the score says. It was said on this board that they were a fluke ... I guess not.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    In action between also-rans, Joey Schreiber had the game of his life, setting the school record with 48 points, including 10 3s, in APU's 95-79 win over Hilo.

  3. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    HPU wins rather convincingly, well, that's what the score says. It was said on this board that they were a fluke ... I guess not.
    I guess I need to admit I was wrong about HPU! I don't have any argument, now! 51 second half points @ CBU. Well done by those guys. Looks like they are a top 4 team in the region after all.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Glad to hear Schreiber is having some success at APU. Never understood why they didn't play him more at WWU. I saw him his freshman year and was very impressed - he was very athletic and seemed to have a high BB IQ despite being a true freshman. Thought he had the potential to be great for WWU.

    As for HPU, I think they laid claim not only to a top 4 spot but the number one spot in the region last night. Certainly, on any given night in the west region a team can get hot and win one they shouldn't, but it generally doesn't happen against the no. 1 ranked team in the region at home. Agree that HPU deserves some real love after that win. My team (UAA) losing by 6 to HPU in Hawaii doesn't look so bad to me as it did 10 weeks ago.

    Looks like the PacWest is now a three horse race between CBU, HPU and Dixie. After seeing Chaminade play, I thought they would be in the mix too but they just haven't been very consistent this year.

  5. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Looks like HPU came to play, and CBU came to play for one half. I do not know if I agree with the whole number 1 in the region thing. One win doesn't make the top team in the region. HPU played 6 Non division II schools in non-conference i believe, and their average opponents wn % is still less than 40%. To me its still a Chico State and CBU region obviously depending on how each of those teams finish. But HPU certainly gained some credibility and showed they're quite the team. 20-1 is impressive regardless of how bad the comp is.

    This will be a fun region to follow/

  6. #6

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by SValukis View Post
    Looks like HPU came to play, and CBU came to play for one half. I do not know if I agree with the whole number 1 in the region thing. One win doesn't make the top team in the region. HPU played 6 Non division II schools in non-conference i believe, and their average opponents wn % is still less than 40%. To me its still a Chico State and CBU region obviously depending on how each of those teams finish. But HPU certainly gained some credibility and showed they're quite the team. 20-1 is impressive regardless of how bad the comp is.

    This will be a fun region to follow/
    I like stats, but sometimes we can get caught up in them. Hawaii Pacific beat a big-time team at their place and improved to 20-1. At this point, hell yeah they should be No. 1 in the region. Regarding scheduling, it's very tough in Hawaii to get a good non-conference slate going; heck, same with Northwest schools since there are ZERO non-GNAC D2's in the Northwest. If you play in Cali, PacWest can play CCAA all the time in non-conference. If you're back east or in the south, bundles of D2 leagues, easy to get a non-conference slate. People in the west (see football, too) are hamstrung by geography and every sh-tbag school in the world thinking they should be D-1.

  7. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I like stats, but sometimes we can get caught up in them. Hawaii Pacific beat a big-time team at their place and improved to 20-1. At this point, hell yeah they should be No. 1 in the region. Regarding scheduling, it's very tough in Hawaii to get a good non-conference slate going; heck, same with Northwest schools since there are ZERO non-GNAC D2's in the Northwest. If you play in Cali, PacWest can play CCAA all the time in non-conference. If you're back east or in the south, bundles of D2 leagues, easy to get a non-conference slate. People in the west (see football, too) are hamstrung by geography and every sh-tbag school in the world thinking they should be D-1.
    I generally agree that scheduling is tougher for the NW and Hawaii schools, but Seattle Pacific always played the toughest schedule of anyone during the Looney days. Consequently, they always made the tournament (even when they might have a couple bad losses late). HPU is now 1-1 against "top 8" teams (CBU twice). I can't see them as the top team at this point. I'd still rank CBU above them. Chico, too (but we'll see about Chico this weekend: @ Sonoma & @ SF State).

  8. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Watched game on FSW channel 692 direct tv. Fun game to watch; back and forth HPU struggled early in first half getting into their flow and shot poorly from perimeter. CBU had their game going in the first half, inside out worked! In the second half the game was speed and more speed by HPU. They became the quicker of the two teams and the game went their way. HPU was quicker on both defense and offense. Not sure if CBU just had an off night; looked like HPU wanted this game more than CBU. First time watching both teams this year.

  9. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I like stats, but sometimes we can get caught up in them. Hawaii Pacific beat a big-time team at their place and improved to 20-1. At this point, hell yeah they should be No. 1 in the region. Regarding scheduling, it's very tough in Hawaii to get a good non-conference slate going; heck, same with Northwest schools since there are ZERO non-GNAC D2's in the Northwest. If you play in Cali, PacWest can play CCAA all the time in non-conference. If you're back east or in the south, bundles of D2 leagues, easy to get a non-conference slate. People in the west (see football, too) are hamstrung by geography and every sh-tbag school in the world thinking they should be D-1.
    I'm gonna side with those thinking one win is not an automatic jump into #1. CBU did the same thing in HPU last month and has a better SoS, even if they played a lot of home games to open the season too. "The Committee" doesn't look at one raucous win, they look at stats. Plus, you've got the fact that the PacWest was the weakest of the three conferences in non-con play against each other too (I think, right?). It isn't about the "hottest" team in the region, it's about the whole damn season. But there's nothing the Committee or the stats can do to stop a hot team either. All HPU has to do is keep winning...

    Yeah, the CCAA and the California-based PacWest teams have it easy for non-con scheduling in that they can easily zip around the state and pick up good games without having to travel far and wide or spend as much $. Alaska and Hawaii suffer the most though in the West region. Hawaii has the draw of teams loving to come to Hawaii, but those schools have the look of suffering from funding and traveling enough to get good road games. Anchorage has the palace of the land where they can convince folks to come up here and play, but Fairbanks has neither the beaches of Hawaii nor a palace to play in and both Alaska schools are on a tight budget these days. The Committee will not care about any of that though.

    If Schnautza puts up a new PI chart, that will give us the "in the moment" stats of how much that win might have mattered, but ultimately every game from here on out will be big for everyone hoping to make Regionals... One thing is for sure, it does not look like it's going to be a boring finish. Loving "Frantic" February?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
    I generally agree that scheduling is tougher for the NW and Hawaii schools, but Seattle Pacific always played the toughest schedule of anyone during the Looney days. Consequently, they always made the tournament (even when they might have a couple bad losses late). HPU is now 1-1 against "top 8" teams (CBU twice). I can't see them as the top team at this point. I'd still rank CBU above them. Chico, too (but we'll see about Chico this weekend: @ Sonoma & @ SF State).
    Well HPU did beat UAA, and with their win over WWU this week they will be a top 8 team next week (unless they lay a real egg against SFU on Saturday). HPU's schedule may even things out again when they play at Dixie but right now I think they get the 1 spot. Just my two cents.

    Not sure the PacWest was the weakest conference preseason. Some of the GNAC teams were not looking too good early during non-conference (but some of those are getting it together now - i.e. WOU).

  11. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    Not sure the PacWest was the weakest conference preseason. Some of the GNAC teams were not looking too good early during non-conference (but some of those are getting it together now - i.e. WOU).
    By my count from earlier in the season, this is how the conferences did against each other in the non-conference portion: CCAA went 35-20, GNAC 22-24, and PWC 21-34.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Quote Originally Posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
    By my count from earlier in the season, this is how the conferences did against each other in the non-conference portion: CCAA went 35-20, GNAC 22-24, and PWC 21-34.
    No clear-cut favorite at the regional this year. Last two years APU and WOU were heavily favored. This year I think HPU, CBU, and Chico, should battle it out.

    HPU sure doesn't get much love on this board, wow ... brings back memories from last year regarding WOU.
    Last edited by tsull; 02-03-2017 at 10:29 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Sonoma State tromped Chico tonight so their is a logjam in the CCAA Chico and UCSD at 11-3; San Francisco State and Sonoma State at 10-3. Not sure who is going to get to battle it out.

  14. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    I actually think ur wrong on HPU not getting love. I think people giving them their props for beating CBu at CBU no easy feat there. But I think what people seek to be saying is one good win a season does not make. In order to be #1 at the end of the year in the committee's eyes their needs to be a body of work. They have 4 wins over teams with a winning record and we are in February. That's astonishing. They played 5 non-D2s in non con and regardless of the reasons that is what happened. Chico, UCSD, CBU all challenges themselves outside of conference and should be rewarded for it.

    HPU deserves recognition and they're in the regional field as of now. But #1 idk about that. It will be interesting to see where things are at this week with CBu, Chico, WWU all losing.

  15. Default Re: Hawaii Pacific wins at CBU

    Rob how cool is this cCAA race haha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •