Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Game Thread | 1-13-17 and 1-14-17

Default NSIC Game Thread | 1-13-17 and 1-14-17

A little bored at the moment so I figured I'd start this thread a couple of days early. Plus, NSU4LIFE was cluttering up his own "Picks Only" thread with trash-talk clips from the film Tombstone, so even more reason to migrate the game conversation over here.

Very mixed emotions right now as your acting Apostle of Apprehension heading into this weekend. The implications are huge as far as Augie's Regional hopes go. Two wins would be fantastic, two losses would be pretty disappointing (though not entirely shocking at this point), and a split would be survivable, but still not ideal.

I don't know what to expect with Moorhead. On the one hand, they seem to have a different guy stepping up to lead them each weekend, whether it's Kretchman, Lien, Doss, Ayob, etc. On the other hand, they're more vincible than they've seemed the past two years, which I don't fully understand based on how good all of their individual talent is. If any team in the NSIC is ready to bang out a win against the Vikes though, I'm guessing it will be the Dragons. We seem to have had their number for the past couple of seasons, and I would be a little surprised if they're overlooking us in preparation for their Saturday game against Wayne (not trying to be offensive to Wayne fans, but I would think they would probably agree with that sentiment). All in all, I don't even know where to go with a prediction. I could see the Dragons winning big, I could see it being close, and I could see Augie somehow managing to stick with the recent trend of beating the Dragons by double digits. If it's close, I just hope Moorhead doesn't have the ball for the final possession. They've hit too many long-range game winners this season for me to feel particularly comfortable with that.

As far as Northern goes, same thing. I don't know what to expect. If the Vikes come out aggressive and confident, I do like our odds. But if we come out flat or if we get too jacked for Moorhead and don't have any gas in the tank for the Wolves, we could be in trouble. I really hope Wayne takes it to Northern on Friday night so we don't get a rested Wolves squad on Saturday. It will be up to the Wildcats to try to find a way to slow the NSU big men (I won't even suggest they will be able to "stop" the NSU bigs because I'm not sure Wayne has enough low post firepower to do that) and hang in it with the grittiness they've shown throughout the year.

Then, the same is true of the Vikes. We'll need Huisken and Asmus in particular to come ready to go against Doyle and Evans. If we can slow them, it'll just be a matter of John Warren or Beyer (whoever is tasked with the job) trying to slow Arvidson down a little bit and keep him from really going off. Hopefully their length will affect him in the right ways.

All in all, I would love to see two wins for the Vikes in Sioux Falls. And a couple of losses (or more) between SMSU and UIU up north wouldn't hurt either. :)

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

Default Re: NSIC Game Thread | 1-13-17 and 1-14-17

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    A little bored at the moment so I figured I'd start this thread a couple of days early. Plus, NSU4LIFE was cluttering up his own "Picks Only" thread with trash-talk clips from the film Tombstone, )
    OK.

"I'm your huckleberry."

Missed seeing the Mav game in person- the weather was awful. Evidently few others were there, as Chad Currier from the Mankato Free Press noted, "If you didn't win a prize or get picked for a contest consider yourself unlucky". The men managed to win again over Concordia, making it six wins out of seven. Hopefully that trend continues Friday and Saturday as Minot and Mary come to town. This Mav team needs to have a healthy Witthus to combine with Fuqua if they have any postseason hopes. Patty has been missing long enough to put his picture on a milk carton- and I don't expect him back at all.

Here are your updated standings following last week (does not include the Tuesday games).

1. Augieholic 56
    T-2. wscsuperfan 54
    Augie Skyhook
    Stanger86
    5. MrAugustana 53
    T-6. laker 52
    NSUguy
    T-7. MrMustang 51
    Purple Mav Man
    9. Simple as a $3bill 50
    T-10. CoachSalscheider 49
    Guest69
    11. DapperDan 48
    12. NSU4Life 47
    13. vikingfaithul 41
    14. njmav1 31

Growing increasingly nervous about this evening's festivities. Really hope the Vikes come out ready to play. Moorhead has so many weapons and we're really going to need to be on our game defensively to get the win tonight. Not impossible, but I am not confident this year the same way I was last year against the Dragons.

Should be a fun night. Upper Iowa and St. Cloud is another pretty big game. And, as mentioned in my first post on this thread, I wouldn't mind another Golden Eagle upset this evening. Wayne/Northern is another one of those that I could possibly see being a decent fight unless Northern's bigs just take over and dominate in the paint.

Mavs win over the Red Beavers 81-66.

Looks like a lot of close games tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    Looks like a lot of close games tonight.
    Crookston made it interesting. They've had a of close games but haven't learned how to close out.

Winona wins in OT. Looks like they pulled clear with a bunch of unanswered threes. Streaming was bad so didn't see much. Looks like they did something to gain two last second points to tie in regulation. Thought we were about to hit rock bottom. Gathje had 28. He is coming on as a low post scorer.

Augustana Vikings ‏@GoAugie 1m1 minute ago
    FINAL: MSU Moorhead 91, @AugieMensBball 89 in double overtime. Marcus Asmus records first career double-double (26 pts, 10 reb) #nsicmbb

Quote Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
    Crookston made it interesting. They've had a of close games but haven't learned how to close out.
    SMSU improves to 8-2 in games decided by 4 points or less.

For whatever reason, that gym always gives us fits and BSU's isn't any better.

Much like celebrity deaths painful home losses come in threes for the Augustana men. Third straight home game where the opposition has found the fortitude to make one more play than the Vikings. Third straight home game where veterans like Spencer and Beyer have contracted the yips at FT line. What was once a fortress of solitude has become an impregnable vessel.

Having said that tonight was a glorious basketball game, it had near buzzer beaters, a visiting player (Jon Doss) turn heel so hard that the President of Augustana was tweaking him, said heel also achieved a lane violation on his own teams free throws by wondering, unprovoked, into the circle from the perimeter, a victor excercising some demons over the defeated, and most notably an obscene stat line from an obscure bench player (Marcus Asmus going for 26-10).

Time to watch last year's National Championship game on TiVo.

Man. Can't Concordia beat anybody even at home?!?

Augie: I know Moorhead is good, but that should be a "W" at home. Maybe home court doesn't matter so much this year, although SCSU did OK last night.

And you Huskies, you can't win at Crookston, but you beat the #2 team in our league according to Performance Indicators at home!

If it wasn't 82 degrees outside here in Cancun, I would be sad. : - ;

WSC and Moorhead tied at 42 at half

Touch down Tommy Mauer ensuring he gets his ESPN3 time by reviewing a bogus foul on Spencer during a halftime buzzer beater heave by Northern

Mary beats MSU in Mankato 75-61. That's pathetic. Can NOT lose to Mary at home. Terrible offensive night for all Mavericks not named Jon Fuqua. And even he was only 8-17 from the field. Witthus struggled badly (2-13) and missed open looks. Have to just move on I guess... Not out of the conference race yet as I believe it will be 5-6 losses for the Champs. Just means MSU now has to win out.

Mustangs now 1-4 in Bemidji under Bigler

After a controversial charge call goes against Northern, good ol' boy Paul Sather loses his gord, gets the double T and hits the showers early.

Quote Originally Posted by Augieholic View Post
    After a controversial charge call goes against Northern, good ol' boy Paul Sather loses his gord, gets the double T and hits the showers early.
    He definitely went off. I can understand why, but he REALLY went off...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    He definitely went off. I can understand why, but he REALLY went off...
    Paul Sather was being restrained by his assistants show much they were starting to pull his shirt off. Sather walking to the locker room tried to whip his tie at a smart **s AU fan looking for a high five. Funny.

Attendance 3576. Mike Busack scored 23 pts was quite animated during the game with NSU players. Busack also said he not used to large home crowds and appreciates that. A bit of sarcasm towards MSU. AU Radio guy said crowds used to be much better at MSU before Hockey came to be.

Will be a really good NSIC tourney this season with so much parity in the league.

Casey Lloyd was announcing for MSU back when I was in high school. This is from halftime of the women's game. Women played well and hustled. Men were outplayed. My buddy Nate Christensen is now working at Northern Iowa- he sent me that shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast