Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NSIC Game Thread - 1/6/17 and 1/7/17

Default NSIC Game Thread - 1/6/17 and 1/7/17

Don't have much time to post my usual ramblings, but I figured if other people have time to jump on and share theirs, I'd at least get the thread started.

Main thought: Having to take on a resurgent Mankato at home with a seemingly-healthier-and-better-than-ever Joey Witthus isn't exactly my preferred situation for trying to earn a bounceback win after last weekend's struggles, but we'll have to take it as it comes. Hoping the Vikes lock in, put in work down low against Mankato's semi-flawed inside presence, and do the things they need to do to win, particularly in that middle stretch of the 2nd half where we faltered noticeably in both of last weekend's games and where we have faltered in other games as well (thankfully with less dire outcomes).

Again, definitely won't be easy, but the Vikes proved a few weeks ago that both of these games are winnable, so here's to hoping they can affirm that proof tonight and tomorrow.

Default Re: NSIC Game Thread - 1/6/17 and 1/7/17

Mavs are embarrassing themselves tonight. They'd lose to Crookston if they were playing them.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

FINAL:
    Augie 85 MSU 70

Fortunately I wasn't there.

Glad the Vikes won. Just seemed to hit bigs shots when they needed to. Some bench guys really stepped up, particularly Austin Saugstad with some huge minutes. Hope there's no letdown tomorrow night against CSP.

Radio crew said Augie has now won 5 straight against the Mavs. That definitely surprised me.

Also thought it was a weirdly officiated game, but maybe MSU fans would say the same thing.
    Last edited by MrAugustana; 01-06-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Had harsher words written previously, but who knows which officials read these message boards (we know at least one does...simple). Last thing they need is more fuel for disliking the Vikings.

Three replies (four, counting this one) on a Friday night game thread in the middle of the season? What is the message board world coming to?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Three replies (four, counting this one) on a Friday night game thread in the middle of the season? What is the message board world coming to?
    I was ice fishing....pissed NSU women lost, but thrilled about NSU men and Breckenridge Cowboys beating up on Barnesville. If I was still in college I'd be leaving the bar to give home and post between rounds...but I'm now a man with a wife and two kids (so far) and just appreciated the downtime while missing all the activity on here.

Really thought Crookston had a shot considering how bad Duluth had been...shocked but not floored at UIU losing. This conference is a lot like the Big Ten (which I'm a BigXII guy) just wide open but logic says the usual suspects will rise to the top.

HUGE game tomorrow night. Could go a long ways toward deciding the NSIC South.

8. Default Re: NSIC Game Thread - 1/6/17 and 1/7/17

Also thought it was a weirdly officiated game, but maybe MSU fans would say the same thing.
    Hey, lay off.

Poor showing by MSU last night. I thought with Witthus back they had a chance to win this one at home vs. Augustana. Flat and uninspired performance; disappointing after playing well twice last weekend.
    Women's team looked poor, and got blown out. Not sure what Ziegler's status is, as she did not play. Without her, there isn't much of an inside threat or rebounding.

God's Country- between Buffalo Lake & Hector

I have a lot of ideas on this. There wasn't a lot of traffic during football season either. This game wasn't well attended- not sure if school at MSU has started yet or if it starts on Monday. In years past Augie was a big draw. Student attendance has been extremely poor. Attendance in general has been extremely poor. When I watch games on TV I see a lot of empty seats- even last night at the #1 ranked UMD hockey game- lots of open seats. Gopher hockey- same thing. Are there too many other distractions? Too much comfort in staying home? Growing disinterest in sports? When I was in high school the gyms were packed- it was the thing to do. Now with consolidated schools they don't even pull out the bleachers on the other side of the court.

Look at the average age of people who are season ticket holders. It seems to be closer to retirement age all the time. It seems like we are past the Golden Age of spectator sports, especially at the lower levels. Sad but that seems to be the trend- there are less and less of us who seem to care.

Quote Originally Posted by laker View Post
    I have a lot of ideas on this. There wasn't a lot of traffic during football season either. This game wasn't well attended- not sure if school at MSU has started yet or if it starts on Monday. In years past Augie was a big draw. Student attendance has been extremely poor. Attendance in general has been extremely poor. When I watch games on TV I see a lot of empty seats- even last night at the #1 ranked UMD hockey game- lots of open seats. Gopher hockey- same thing. Are there too many other distractions? Too much comfort in staying home? Growing disinterest in sports? When I was in high school the gyms were packed- it was the thing to do. Now with consolidated schools they don't even pull out the bleachers on the other side of the court.

Look at the average age of people who are season ticket holders. It seems to be closer to retirement age all the time. It seems like we are past the Golden Age of spectator sports, especially at the lower levels. Sad but that seems to be the trend- there are less and less of us who seem to care.
    I think the level of basketball is dropping and the amount of polarizing or fun players/teams that have been in the conference over past are not around. It's a boring conference right now with boring players. Sure there are some good players but there is not one guy right now in the league or team on the league that is going to draw people in to watch. Add the fact you can watch from home, pricing for tickets are too high for the product on the floor and social media changing our society in how we interact and gain our day to day entertainment and this is what you get

I think all of the factors mentioned are valid, as relating to generally lower attendance/overall interest. I would not be surprised if collegiate athletics returned to basically what it was fifty and more years ago. In that you then had major college sports (D-1), and everyone else in another category. Scholarships and travel get expensive even if you draw well, which at most places today doesn't seem to be happening. I don't know if there is a definite answer, but financial realities may cause many institutions to re-evaluate the overall role of intercollegiate athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofnsic View Post
    I think the level of basketball is dropping and the amount of polarizing or fun players/teams that have been in the conference over past are not around. It's a boring conference right now with boring players. Sure there are some good players but there is not one guy right now in the league or team on the league that is going to draw people in to watch. Add the fact you can watch from home, pricing for tickets are too high for the product on the floor and social media changing our society in how we interact and gain our day to day entertainment and this is what you get
    I think this is a very good point. The league as a whole is down. Not just the bottom of the league, but the top, too. 10-12 years ago, we had two of the best teams in the country in Winona and Northern. Winona represented a large chunk of the posters here too. As they fell off, so too did their traffic here.

Plus, I think a decent percentage on many message board sites are from college students. People looking to waste time online rather than study or go to class, etc. As they grow up and graduate and move on, priorities change. They no longer need a message board to kill time. And their school fandom is at it's strongest when living in the college town because its all right there. After college, guys move away and don't always keep up with the alma mater as much as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    I think all of the factors mentioned are valid, as relating to generally lower attendance/overall interest. I would not be surprised if collegiate athletics returned to basically what it was fifty and more years ago. In that you then had major college sports (D-1), and everyone else in another category. Scholarships and travel get expensive even if you draw well, which at most places today doesn't seem to be happening. I don't know if there is a definite answer, but financial realities may cause many institutions to re-evaluate the overall role of intercollegiate athletics.
    We talk about the size of the conference every now and then. So I thought, why not throw it out there? Is the conference size (16 schools) a detriment to fan interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger86 View Post
    I think this is a very good point. The league as a whole is down. Not just the bottom of the league, but the top, too. 10-12 years ago, we had two of the best teams in the country in Winona and Northern. Winona represented a large chunk of the posters here too. As they fell off, so too did their traffic here.
    While I would never commit the blasphemy of arguing that the past two years of Augustana success compared evenly to Winona's run, as far as having some of the best teams in the country go, I would argue that the Augustana/Moorhead combo is relatively (I stress, relatively) comparable to those Winona/Northern teams in terms of overall talent and success compared to the rest of NCAA Division II basketball. Augie had 5 losses total between the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons and Moorhead wasn't that far behind with 10 total losses during those two years (four of which came to the Vikes). Each won a Regional Championship and Augie obviously went all the way last year, and both were consistently in or near the Top 5 - Top 10 throughout those two seasons. That's a pretty solid resume. To your point, this year is obviously a little down, but in terms of recent national success, it doesn't get a whole lot better than what Augie and Moorhead have done the past couple years when you compare it to the success of top couple of teams from other conferences.

To njmav's point, the overall size of the conference does create a disparity between the top teams and the bottom teams. It's not quite as balanced as football seems to have been getting over the last few years. I also think that's a huge factor in getting fans to show up. I don't know very many people that can afford to bring their whole families out to watch two games over a weekend featuring either two teams that they don't care about, or only one team they care about. Even if people show up to watch Mankato, they might have zero interest in watching a Concordia-St. Paul team the next night. And if it's Mary/Minot, you may not even get fans who want to show up for one, let alone both. That's a problem.

It makes me wonder whether or not we would have better rivalries and more fan interest with a smaller conference again (and maybe that's njmav's point). But I wonder if more people would show up to watch two games each weekend if it were teams they saw more consistently than every other year (as happens with the North/South Division games). It does seem we get better attendance for our consistent, twice a year rivals like Mankato, SMSU, USF than it feels like we get from North Division matchups (other than Northern, which will always be a decent rivalry game).

I don't know. Just a bummer that the boards are so quiet on game nights. I enjoy annoying you guys with my ramblings. Not as fun when there's nobody around to annoy. :)

It makes me wonder whether or not we would have better rivalries and more fan interest with a smaller conference again (and maybe that's njmav's point). But I wonder if more people would show up to watch two games each weekend if it were teams they saw more consistently than every other year (as happens with the North/South Division games). It does seem we get better attendance for our consistent, twice a year rivals like Mankato, SMSU, USF than it feels like we get from North Division matchups (other than Northern, which will always be a decent rivalry game).
    Yes, that's exactly what I was hinting. I think it was Laker who opined that 10 was the perfect (or perhaps optimal) number of schools in a conference. But more than numbers, I think you need schools that are closer in size, financial capabilities, history, etc.

And I am not trying to start another "how to split up the NSIC" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MStateMaverick View Post
    Another factor that can't be ignored is program success. Winona's fan interest/attendance can be directly tied to that.

The first time I was in McCown, attendance was only about 600 for a sub-.500 team. Keep tracking, and it improved to 900 for an above-.500 team at the time, but that was the start of a 13-1 stretch, closed by averaging over 2,000 in the NSIC tournament. Then the national title runs started, and McCown saw over 3,000 for games.

Southwest has seen something similar, with attendance dipping in years with not as much team success. Right now, we have our best attendance average in 4-5 years, and we haven't even gotten to Hawaiian Night yet which always skews the numbers somewhat.

To answer that question on my end, I am pretty much speechless. I really don't mind predicting a team to win and they lose by 3 or 4 points, but when I predict two evenly matched teams (Concordia, 2-5, 4-9, ranked 11/16 in the PI and 10 pts ahead in the computer rankings and Wayne, 1-6 (opps, 2-6), 3-11, ranked 13/16 in the PI and 10 pts behind Concordia in the computer rankings) and my pick is at home, and they lose by 20, I am speechless.

And "what the hey" Mankato! Here's your opportune moment to get Augie and Wayne, but you get swept! You lose to Wayne by 15 and you can't score more than 55 against a weary 2nd day road team at your place!

Friday, Duluth rolls into Crookston and blasts them by 24 and the SCSU Huskies roll in there tonight and lose after spanking Bemidji the night before! And by the way Duluth, you lose at BSU tonight.

And Upper Iowa, you can't beat a middle of the pack Sioux Falls on the road, but you can beat a 13-1 Southwest on the road.

And I could go on...

I will comment later on the 3 teams I watched this weekend, BSU, SCSU & UMD, but for now, I'm just brain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
    To answer that question on my end, I am pretty much speechless. I really don't mind predicting a team to win and they lose by 3 or 4 points, but when I predict two evenly matched teams (Concordia, 2-5, 4-9, ranked 11/16 in the PI and 10 pts ahead in the computer rankings and Wayne, 1-6, 3-11, ranked 13/16 in the PI and 10 pts behind Concordia in the computer rankings) and my pick is at home, and they lose by 20, I am speechless.

And "what the hey" Mankato! Here's your opportune moment to get Augie and Wayne, but you get swept! You lose to Wayne by 15 and you can't score more than 55 against a weary 2nd day road team at your place!

Friday, Duluth rolls into Crookston and blasts them by 24 and the SCSU Huskies roll in there tonight and lose after spanking Bemidji the night before! And by the way Duluth, you lose at BSU tonight.

And Upper Iowa, you can't beat a middle of the pack Sioux Falls on the road, but you can beat a 13-1 Southwest on the road.

And I could go on...

I will comment later on the 3 teams I watched this weekend, BSU, SCSU & UMD, but for now, I'm just brain dead.
    Mankato men beat Wayne. NSIC site has the women's score posted for the men's game. MSU won 87-78, though the 'Cats did lead the first half :)

Quote Originally Posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Mankato men beat Wayne. NSIC site has the women's score posted for the men's game. MSU won 87-78, though the 'Cats did lead the first half :)
    Thanks for the clarification wscsuperfan. I'm not only wrong with my predictions, my information sources are wrong too! : - (

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast