Thread: CCAA Update

Default CCAA Update

It looks like it is a 3 horse race for the CCAA title between Chico, San Diego, and SF. I watched the SF @ Chico game last weekend (their stream is free), and Chico totally out classed the upstart Gators. It was the first game after the break for SF, so maybe they had some holiday hangover. Next week San Diego travels to SF for another big match-up. That game will probably determine how real the Gators are.

A surprise team is Sonoma. They have 4 losses, but they are all to really good teams (WWU, @Dixie, SF, & @Chico). East Bay seems to fallen back to earth a little having lost 3 in a row.

Right now, my guess is those for teams host first round games in the CCAA tournament: Chico, San Diego, SF, & Sonoma in that order.

Default Re: CCAA Update

Quote Originally Posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
    It looks like it is a 3 horse race for the CCAA title between Chico, San Diego, and SF. I watched the SF @ Chico game last weekend (their stream is free), and Chico totally out classed the upstart Gators. It was the first game after the break for SF, so maybe they had some holiday hangover. Next week San Diego travels to SF for another big match-up. That game will probably determine how real the Gators are.

A surprise team is Sonoma. They have 4 losses, but they are all to really good teams (WWU, @Dixie, SF, & @Chico). East Bay seems to fallen back to earth a little having lost 3 in a row.

Right now, my guess is those for teams host first round games in the CCAA tournament: Chico, San Diego, SF, & Sonoma in that order.
    Great report, thanks. San Diego-SF matchup will be a great one. Chico is consistently tough, too.

3. Default Re: CCAA Update

The CCAA is going to be wild I think. Obviously Chico, SF State are good, and will be there towards the end along with UCSD who I think is very very good, but as far as regular season crown, do not sleep on San Marcos who has some firepower. I believe those 4 teams are the class of the conference this year. I know Sonoma has gotten some love but their schedule to this point hasn't been great, will be interesting to see when they fall back down to earth.

I have been surprised by the drop-off by Humboldt, and Pomona, I did not expect either program to fall off the way they have let alone in the same season. Humboldt challenged itself more than usual in non-conf and I thought it would prep them for the rigors of the CCAA but apparently it hasn't. The jacks and broncos are in serious trouble.

4. Default Re: CCAA Update

Quote Originally Posted by SValukis View Post
    The CCAA is going to be wild I think. Obviously Chico, SF State are good, and will be there towards the end along with UCSD who I think is very very good, but as far as regular season crown, do not sleep on San Marcos who has some firepower. I believe those 4 teams are the class of the conference this year. I know Sonoma has gotten some love but their schedule to this point hasn't been great, will be interesting to see when they fall back down to earth.
    I agree that San Marcos is good, but I don't think about them as much since they are not post-season eligible. Not their fault. My own bias, I guess.

Don't agree that Sonoma has had a soft schedule. Their only losses are to top 8 teams in the region. Three of the losses are by 3 points or less. They have not beaten anyone particularly good, so maybe that is what you meant. Time will tell on that one!

5. Default Re: CCAA Update

I was guilted into buying the stream for the SD v SF game... San Diego looked very good. They jumped on them early, and then stayed pretty poised when SF turned up the pressure and battled to get back in the game. SF couldn't make any shots, but competed the whole game. The harder SF tried defensively, the more open looks that SD got. They play like a team that made the sweet 16 last year. SF has lost both times they played a top team (Chico and now SD), so I'll retract my earlier complaint about them being only 5th in the region!

It seems like San Diego and Chico are just better than the rest of the league. It feels like the CCAA breaks down into 4 levels:

Tier 1: San Diego & Chico
    Tier 2: SF State, Sonoma, San Marcos
    Tier 3: Dominguez, East Bay, San Bernardino, LA, Humboldt
    Tier 4: Pomona, Stanislaus, Monterey Bay

Of course, a game or two can change that quickly. Sonoma's great defense may give them a chance against SD who is on their 4th straight road game and vulnerable to a let down after the big win last night. Could be another one of those 51-47 CCAA barn-burners that everyone loves!!

Quote Originally Posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
    Sonoma's great defense may give them a chance against SD who is on their 4th straight road game and vulnerable to a let down after the big win last night. Could be another one of those 51-47 CCAA barn-burners that everyone loves!!
    Do you really want to know how accurate this was??? Sonoma 54, UCSD 48

7. Default Re: CCAA Update

Quote Originally Posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
    Do you really want to know how accurate this was??? Sonoma 54, UCSD 48
    Yeah! I had the live stats open in one window and I think UCSD got to 40 with about 2:15 left in the game. Sheesh!

8. Default Re: CCAA Update

Injury situations?

- Isaiah Ellis missed both games this weekend for Chico. One being a loss to Pomona where the team shot 32% from the field.
    - Chris Hansen (UCSD) played 5 minutes in the SF State game, and then hasn't played in the following two games (both losses).

If these guys miss extended time, it may open up a chance for Sonoma, SF, or San Marcos to make it interesting down the stretch.

Current Standings:
    Chico 9-2
    UCSD 9-2
    SF 8-3
    Sonoma 7-3
    San Marcos 8-4

9. Default Re: CCAA Update

Chico stymied by Sonoma State's defense. Only scored 17 points in the first half. Lost 66-50. Only scored 50 against Pomona a couple games back, too. Reminds me of the end of last year when they couldn't find a basket.

Up to the minute standings at the top of the CCAA:

1. Chico 11-3
    2. UCSD 11-3
    3. SFSU 10-3
    4. SSU 10-3

Chico plays at SF tomorrow night. We'll see if the Gators can find that signature win they have been lacking.

10. Default Re: CCAA Update

Chico struggles again! SFSU leads wire to wire for the win, 65-51. SF looked very solid. Chico made a run at them in the middle of the second half, but the Gators didn't break.

Sonoma continues to roll with a win over Stanislaus. Who thought they would be so good!? Every few years Sonoma pops up on the West Region map. This must be one of them!

UCSD had two 30+ point wins to hold onto first place. Looks like they have their big guy Hanson back at full strength. He had 17 points on 7-8 shooting in 19 minutes tonight.

Don't look now, but Pomona has won 6 straight! They are now 7-8 in conference. I guarantee no one wants to play them in the conference tournament!

Standings:

1. UCSD 12-3
    2. SFSU 11-3 (beat SSU twice)
    3. SSU 11-3
    4. Chico 11-4
    -. San Marcos 8-6
    5. San Bern 7-7 (Beat SF)
    6. DHills 7-7
    7. CPP 7-8 (Beat Chico)
    8. LA 7-8

Well CPP did win 4 of their last six at home and by an average of 2 points. We will see if they are real when they play UCSD on the road and Sonoma and SF State at home before season ends. Think the odds are about 50/50 at this point for them to get in the top 8 (although for selfish reasons I would like to see them win out, lol).

Was really surprised at the margins of loss in Chico's games this last weekend. Those were pretty decisive losses. They are going to have to pull it together to get to the postseason, but their schedule isn't too tough to finish.

It really amazes me that even after implementation of the 30 second clock, the CCAA teams regularly play games where you can win scoring in the 60s and sometimes in the 40s. Recruiting athletes and playing hard-nosed defense still seems to be the MO in that league. It seems this year that the GNAC has moved away from this and more towards the "just outscore the other guy" approach that I always associated with the Pac West. Kind of interesting how each league has developed a certain style of play over the years.

12. Default Re: CCAA Update

Sonoma loses to Dominguez Hills at home on senior night, 58-55. That breaks the 3-way tie (in the loss column) at the top of the standings. Now only UCSD (16-3) and SF (15-3) control their own destiny for a conference championship. Both won by 20+ tonight.

In a key match-up between teams trying to get into the tournament, Pomona beat Bernardino 45-43. Yes, that is not a typo. 45-43. CCAA hoops at its finest!!

Actually, UCSD wins the conference as long as they win at San Bernardino Thursday, on account of having won their only meeting this year with SF State. Here's what's left for everybody:

#1. UCSD (21-5, 16-3) -- at San Bernardino (TH)
    #2. SF State (22-3, 15-3) -- at Humboldt (TH), at CP Pomona (SA)
    #3. Sonoma State (18-6, 14-4) -- at Pomona (TH), at Humboldt (SA)
    #4. Chico State (20-6, 13-5) -- at East Bay (FR), at Monterey Bay (SA)
    $5. San Marcos (18-8, 12-6) -- at Dominguez Hills (TH), at CSULA (SA)
    6. Dominguez Hills (13-11, 9-9) -- San Marcos (TH), at San Bernardino (SA)
    7. Pomona (10-12, 8-10) -- Sonoma State (TH), SF State (SA)
    8. CSULA (13-15, 8-11) -- San Marcos (SA)
    9. Humboldt (13-13, 7-11) -- SF State (TH), Sonoma State (SA)
    10. San Bernardino (11-12, 7-11) -- UCSD (TH), Dominguez Hills (SA)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # = clinched berth in CCAA tournament
    $ = not eligible for NCAA postseason play

Near as I can tell, East Bay, Stanislaus and Monterey Bay are already eliminated, and for the most part only play each other this week, so we'll ignore them. One of those bottom five is going to get left out.

14. Default Re: CCAA Update

Quote Originally Posted by SGAstumpJ View Post
    Actually, UCSD wins the conference as long as they win at San Bernardino Thursday, on account of having won their only meeting this year with SF State.
    Yes, San Diego would be the #1 seed for the CCAA tournament because of their win head-to-head. But, the two teams would be co-champions of the league because they have the same record. Tie breakers are only apply to playoff seedings.