Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: NW/Southern

  1. #1

    Default NW/Southern

    Two teams tied atop MIAA standings at 4-0. Thoughts? This game should give us a read on what level of resistance NW can expect throughout the remainder of the conference season. Two starters missed the game on the 31st. Will they be back? Can Southern muster up enough defense to pull out a victory? Can NW continue to shoot the ball at such a high level? I guess we will find out this evening.

  2. #2

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by 86Catillac View Post
    Two teams tied atop MIAA standings at 4-0. Thoughts? This game should give us a read on what level of resistance NW can expect throughout the remainder of the conference season. Two starters missed the game on the 31st. Will they be back? Can Southern muster up enough defense to pull out a victory? Can NW continue to shoot the ball at such a high level? I guess we will find out this evening.
    Wish your games were livestreamed for free. I'd be all over this one.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Russellville, AR
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    19793

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    After watching MoSo play Arkansas Tech, I feel like it's more likely this will be an absolute blood bath. Their defense is just non-existent and I get the sense that if they try to get into a scoring battle with NWMSU on the road, they are going to lose big time.

  4. #4

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    I think the only thing that really is going to make this a game are the injuries NW has right now. I know they had 4 of the 8 man rotation dealing with injuries that could keep them out for a few games. I anticipate some will be able to play but probabbly not all of them. Those who can play, I'm not sure what level they will be able to play at. Hopefully they can overcome those and get the win tonight.

  5. Default Re: NW/Southern

    Monday night, MO Southern lost starting 6'8" post man LJ Ross to a season ending knee injury. Ross had scored a career high 36 with 13 rebounds against a much lesser team Saturday afternoon. He's been good for about 10 and 7 against similarly sized teams.

    Knowing that Northwest is a great passing team, they may very well pick apart the Lions' defense. I expect a double digit Bearcats victory but would be quite disappointed if it's a blood bath as ToucanBird feels it could possibly be.

    Southern could be right there in it at the end though with a good shooting night from long range, and if they can avoid foul trouble. Two BIG IFs.

  6. #6

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    Sorry to hear about that loss. A skilled big can pose problems for NW. I'm interested to see your new PG and what he can do against NW's D. If Ndow plays, I expect to see him defend him. Mac has liked the length Ndow has to help make shooting the 3 more difficult. Rarely does he put Pitts on a similar type player..probably to lessen the chance of foul trouble and also because he expends so much energy on the offensive end. I don't see this one getting out of hand, unless one team goes off from behind the arc.

  7. Default Re: NW/Southern

    Unfortunately, the first half I saw what I figured I would. Pitts driving and finishing at will. Northwest hitting several open 3 pointers and plenty of easy point blank bunnies.

    And on the flip side, CJ Carr wanting to show everyone what a real point guard is but not delivering. He was very much outplayed.

    50-32 at the half. The first part of the blood bath is behind us now.

  8. #8

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    [QUOTE=MisterWizard;2005735]Unfortunately, the first half I saw what I figured I would. Pitts driving and finishing at will. Northwest hitting several open 3 pointers and plenty of easy point blank bunnies.

    And on the flip side, CJ Carr wanting to show everyone what a real point guard is but not delivering. He was very much outplayed.

    Surprised by the margin. Pitts played the first half as if he had something to prove. Ndow's length did bother Carr. Kurth played as well as he has as a Bearcat. Darn Welty misses his second 3 attempt, to end his streak at 16. Schneider had an off shooting night, but played very good D. Definitely not NW's best performance, but still good enough. Turnovers:17-5.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Russellville, AR
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    19793

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Monday night, MO Southern lost starting 6'8" post man LJ Ross to a season ending knee injury. Ross had scored a career high 36 with 13 rebounds against a much lesser team Saturday afternoon. He's been good for about 10 and 7 against similarly sized teams.

    Knowing that Northwest is a great passing team, they may very well pick apart the Lions' defense. I expect a double digit Bearcats victory but would be quite disappointed if it's a blood bath as ToucanBird feels it could possibly be.

    Southern could be right there in it at the end though with a good shooting night from long range, and if they can avoid foul trouble. Two BIG IFs.
    My reason for thinking that was just due to the fact that a shorthanded Tech squad went into Joplin and came away with a double-digit victory. I figured that if MoSo struggled to beat a shorthanded Arkansas Tech at home, they're going to struggle against a shorthanded #1 Bearcats team on the road.

  10. #10

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    In all seriousness, has anyone in the MIAA shown any possibility of upsetting NWMSU? Last year Augie was one loss away from running the table in the NSIC and that was having to deal with a Top 5-10 Moorhead team and I believe a Top 25 (at least at certain points in the year) Mankato team.

    Is there anyone even remotely close to NWMSU's level in the MIAA right now? Maybe Kearney? But looking at their wins and losses, I don't exactly get the impression that they're likely to bring down Pitts and crew, just that they're the only team in the conference, record-wise, that might be able to put up a fight.

  11. #11

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    In all seriousness, has anyone in the MIAA shown any possibility of upsetting NWMSU? Last year Augie was one loss away from running the table in the NSIC and that was having to deal with a Top 5-10 Moorhead team and I believe a Top 25 (at least at certain points in the year) Mankato team.

    Is there anyone even remotely close to NWMSU's level in the MIAA right now? Maybe Kearney? But looking at their wins and losses, I don't exactly get the impression that they're likely to bring down Pitts and crew, just that they're the only team in the conference, record-wise, that might be able to put up a fight.
    It's all about match ups. Last year NWMSU came into White Auditorium 10-4 and the then 6-9 Hornets beat them 70-63 in January. ESU travels to Maryville at the end of February when the Bearcats were 20-5 and the Hornets were 13-13 and that ended up a three point game and ESU had a good look at a three to tie it with under five seconds left. Were the Hornets on the Bearcats level last year? No but they had a good matchup for them and were able to get a win and almost stole another one. When you have to play 19 conference games (or 22 last year) there are going to be nights when you aren't at your best and the other team is and an upset happens. But over the course of the entire season and into March the better teams will stand out.

  12. #12

    Default Re: NW/Southern

    I don't think they run the table. I really don't think UNK matches up well with NW. Doesn't mean they can't beat them, just don't match up well imo. I still think they stumble somewhere along the way. Injuries, road games and a hot team will show up somewhere. Could they run it? Sure...and I hope they do, but it will be a challenge.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •