Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    174
    Blog Entries
    11
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    2685

    Default GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    For game discussion for the weekend of January 5/7...

    Here are the Massey "predicted scores" for Thursday night:
    Rockhurst (59) at Bellarmine (75)
    UW-Parkside (72) at Drury (74)
    Truman State (87) at Illinois Springfield (75)
    Indianapolis (72) at Missouri-St. Louis (75)
    Lewis (82) at Missouri S&T (80)
    St. Joseph's (85) at Maryville (80)
    Quincy (91) at McKendree (78)
    William Jewell (73) at Southern Indiana (95)

    A couple of thoughts... the UWP (10-1, 2-0) at DU (10-1, 3-0) game is the highlight of the night. UWP has shown that it can win a tough road game (Ferris State) and has won 10 straight after losing its season opener, but DU needs to keep rolling at home with five straight in Springfield to start GLVC play. ... interested in tracking the Indy/UMSL and Lewis/S&T games -- Indy has played a tough schedule but hasn't gotten the results yet and S&T needs to get it going again after their hot start, which included a win against a good team in MO Southern ... slippery game for Truman tonight on the road at UIS, as the Prairie Stars have given the 'Dogs fits since Truman joined the league.

  2. #2

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Agree that UWP v. Drury is the game of the night. Drury has won at home, but was extremely fortunate to beat UMSL in Springfield, when UMSL missed a layup as time expired that would have won the game. The Bellarmine v. Rockhurst game will me much closer than the Massey prediction. I like Truman in general, but would not be surprised to see them lose to UIS. Only USI and Quincy will have blow outs tonight. Everything else is competitive.

  3. #3

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Finals:
    Southern Indiana def. William Jewell, 88-71 (at USI)
    Truman def. Illinois Springfield, 83-72 (at UIS)
    Maryville def. Saint Joseph's, 105-95 (at MU)
    Quincy def. McKendree, 79-77 (at McK)
    Lewis def. Missouri S&T, 83-62 (at S&T)
    Indianapolis def. Mo.-St. Louis, 64-57 (at UMSL)
    Bellarmine def. Rockhurst, 80-71 (at BU)
    UW-Parkside def. Drury, 75-65 (at DU)

    Standings:
    East-
    USI || 3-0, 13-0
    UWP || 3-0, 11-1
    BU || 3-0, 11-2
    LU || 3-0, 8-5
    INDY || 1-2, 4-7
    MCK || 0-3, 6-5
    SJC || 0-3, 6-7
    UIS || 0-3, 5-7

    West-
    QU || 4-0, 14-1
    DU || 3-1, 10-2
    TSU || 3-1, 11-3
    UMSL || 2-2, 8-6
    S&T || 1-3, 7-4
    RU || 1-3, 7-5
    MU || 1-3, 7-9
    WJC || 0-4, 3-8

  4. #4

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Did Quincy have an off night or is mck better than expected?

  5. #5

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Given our complete demolition of mckendree on their court, I'm tempted to say it was an off night for both teams tonight.

  6. #6

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by glvcpro View Post
    Did Quincy have an off night or is mck better than expected?
    It also appears that McKendree has gotten David Franklin, a guy who averaged 21.4 points per game last year, back at semester. He's averaged 23 & 13 in his two games this year, including 17 & 12 (and playing all 40 minutes) last night vs. QU. Tagarelli did his thing again for the Hawks, going for 27 & 11 in 27 minutes of court time.

  7. #7

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    The other thing that stuck out to me last night was that Drury only led for 52 seconds against UWP, with the Rangers leading by about 3-8 points throughout the game.

    Good call, Knightmoves, on the BU/RU prediction. It looks like RU was able to keep it within 2-3 possessions most of the night but a late 11-3 run by BU put it away.

  8. #8

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Madsen View Post
    The other thing that stuck out to me last night was that Drury only led for 52 seconds against UWP, with the Rangers leading by about 3-8 points throughout the game.

    Good call, Knightmoves, on the BU/RU prediction. It looks like RU was able to keep it within 2-3 possessions most of the night but a late 11-3 run by BU put it away.
    How about some lovin' on the Parkside v. Drury call as well...

    Rockhurst is a decent team. They are very well coached and do a very good job in the half court offense. They have some length, but their big guys are not athletic. They seemed to be very concerned about keeping Bellarmine from fast breaking, and as a result, did not pound the offensive boards. I think that is a mistake against Bellarmine, which really should not dominate on the boards.

    Bellarmine played well last night, if not great. Committed too many fouls. It was probably the poorest officiated game I've seen this season.

    Back to Parkside... I really do not understand the lack of respect for them on this board. They were the regions #1 seed last year and brought back most of their team and made some nice additions. They are much more experienced than Drury. There really is no reason that anybody should have thought that Drury was the favorite in that game, even adjusting for home court advantage.

  9. #9

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Back to Parkside... I really do not understand the lack of respect for them on this board. They were the regions #1 seed last year and brought back most of their team and made some nice additions. They are much more experienced than Drury. There really is no reason that anybody should have thought that Drury was the favorite in that game, even adjusting for home court advantage.
    Home court advantage was the only reason I picked Drury in that one. They've historically had one of the best home court advantages in the league.

  10. #10

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    How about some lovin' on the Parkside v. Drury call as well...

    Rockhurst is a decent team. They are very well coached and do a very good job in the half court offense. They have some length, but their big guys are not athletic. They seemed to be very concerned about keeping Bellarmine from fast breaking, and as a result, did not pound the offensive boards. I think that is a mistake against Bellarmine, which really should not dominate on the boards.

    Bellarmine played well last night, if not great. Committed too many fouls. It was probably the poorest officiated game I've seen this season.

    Back to Parkside... I really do not understand the lack of respect for them on this board. They were the regions #1 seed last year and brought back most of their team and made some nice additions. They are much more experienced than Drury. There really is no reason that anybody should have thought that Drury was the favorite in that game, even adjusting for home court advantage.
    I agree that Rockhurst is a very well coached team. Deener has to be the best coach who hasn't won the GLVC yet (some USI fans would say he is better than Watson as well who has won the GLVC tourney.) As long as he is their coach they will keep improving. They could beat some of the upper tier teams going forward.

    I for one have not been underestimating Parkside. I said at the beginning of the season that they have a lot of good returning players and some additions that will easily make up for losing their best player from last season. Add to that fact that they have one of the top three coaches in the conference and they will still be one of the top contenders. In fact, with that win last night, and SVSU losing again, I would have Parkside as the #1 team in the region right now (sorry USI, got to beat someone good still-maybe next week.) Now I did pick Drury to win mainly because I thought the home court was enough to get them over the top.

  11. Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    I watched about 1/2 of the Parkside game and they are very good. All players have a role and they play it well. Would not surprise me to see them winning the league again.

  12. #12

    Default Re: GLVC January 5/7 Thread

    Saturday finals:
    Indianapolis def. Maryville, 69-59 (at MU)
    Lewis def. Drury, 76-75 (at DU)
    Quincy def. Illinois Springfield, 81-71 (at UIS)
    UW-Parkside def. Missouri S&T, 72-54 (at MST)
    Saint Joseph's def. Missouri-St. Louis, 84-81 (at UMSL)
    Truman def. McKendree, 95-79 (at MCK)
    Southern Indiana def. Rockhurst, 98-77 (at USI)
    Bellarmine def. William Jewell, 91-53 (at BU)

    Standings:
    East-
    USI || 4-0, 14-0
    UWP || 4-0, 12-1
    BU || 4-0, 12-2
    LU || 4-0, 9-5
    INDY || 2-2, 5-7
    SJC || 1-3, 7-7
    MCK || 0-4, 6-6
    UIS || 0-4, 5-8

    West-
    QU || 5-0, 15-1
    TSU || 4-1, 12-3
    DU || 3-2, 10-3
    UMSL || 2-3, 8-7
    S&T || 1-4, 7-5
    RU || 1-4, 7-6
    MU || 1-4, 7-10
    WJC || 0-5, 3-9

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •