Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Off Season GAC thread

Contribute to D2

Default 2017 Off Season GAC thread

Recruiting is in full swing and again, UAM is lining up the Juco transfers. This was a big shot in the arm last year and it appears there is more help on the way!!

@WEEVILFOOTBALL INKS 8 DURING SIGNING PERIOD

Dec. 14, 2016 Football
    MONTICELLO - The University of Arkansas at Monticello football staff announced the signing of eight total players during the 2016 mid-signing period.

Deon Knox - Itawamba - Cornerback | 5'11 , 175 lbs.

Lawayne Lenoir - Copiah-Lincoln - Offensive Lineman | 6'5 , 320 lbs.

Anthony Walker - Holmes - Linebacker | 6'1 , 205 lbs.

Jacquan White - Southwest Mississippi - Linebacker | 6'1 , 235 lbs.

Tyler Staples - Holmes - Cornerback | 6'0 , 180 lbs.

Reggie Sanders - Arkansas Baptist - Offensive Lineman | 6'1 , 290 lbs.

Ty Thomas - Navarro - Linebacker | 6'1 , 235 lbs.

Orrin Walsh - Holmes - Tight End | 6'2 , 255 lbs.

"We are extremely excited about the signees for this year's mid-year class," head football coach Hud Jackson said. "We feel that we got some quality football players but more importantly we got some quality people. Most of our signees had multiple offers and our coaches were able to go in and do a great job of getting them to come to UAM to be part of our football program. This group is special they will come in and have a huge impact on our team. I want to commend our coaches for their effort and long hours. Their time away from home during recruiting is tough on them. I appreciate all they do."

Coach Jackson went on to say, "Our returning players are really excited about the upcoming offseason and spring ball because they feel as we do as coaches like we've got a chance to do some very special things in 2017. EAT EM UP!"

Default Re: 2017 Off Season GAC thread

Big announcement coming out of Monticello, will post when it is official. Rumors are flying around the Coffee Shop like crazy.

I wonder what all the fuss is about? Keep us posted.

4. Default Re: 2017 Off Season GAC thread

Found out today that Northwestern will be hiring a new defensive coordinator. I didn't see an announcement or anything from the school that Dan Lemke was not longer part of the staff. Seems like things are being kept quiet for now but I did hear that a couple of candidates have been on campus to interview but have not heard any names. Does anyone from around the league know of any movement with this position or heard any names associated with it? Would not be surprised if the new DC came from somewhere in the MIAA but I have not heard of nothing as of now.

We are in a similar situation, seems it is local knowledge but no official announcement. Maybe waiting until school is back in session?

Northwestern hired former UNK DC, Ken Gordon...

7. Default Re: 2017 Off Season GAC thread

The Monticello DC is now open.

I just heard from a NWOSU player that they hired someone from NW Missouri State as their new DC. Could be wrong though

I just saw the article where they hired Gordon. Bad info on my end!

10. Default Re: 2017 Off Season GAC thread

http://riderangersride.com/news/2017...ordinator.aspx

I posted the link to the article. Sounds like he and Coach Walter were at Emporia for some time together. In the article it says that he played at Northwest Missouri State and coached there for a few years during some national championships before heading to kearney as DC. Looking forward to seeing what the Spring looks like with a new defense. The guy knows what it takes to win a national championship and hopefully can bring some of that edge to the team.

Well we are looking for a new D.C.
    Job posted yesterday.

I really like Mitchell Pate and wish him the best as he pursues other opportunities. While he didn't have the defense this past year that I anticipated upon his arrival, we did play very good down the stretch and it was obvious the players were starting to grasp what he wanted. And it was a lot! We had so many busted coverages and missed assignments early on that many were questioning what he was trying to do. Not all though. Best wishes Pate and I hope we find someone soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil Watcher View Post
    I really like Mitchell Pate and wish him the best as he pursues other opportunities. While he didn't have the defense this past year that I anticipated upon his arrival, we did play very good down the stretch and it was obvious the players were starting to grasp what he wanted. And it was a lot! We had so many busted coverages and missed assignments early on that many were questioning what he was trying to do. Not all though. Best wishes Pate and I hope we find someone soon!!
    Well, I guess we will see in Monticello in week 1. Sure hope we find a DC that will keep your score less than 59

Well looks like sau welcomes back defensive guy Trent figg as dc!!

Southern Arkansas Head Football Coach Bill Keopple has filled a key void in his staff this spring with the hiring of Trent Figg as defensive coordinator of the Mulerider Football team. Figg returns to Magnolia after having spent the last two seasons as defensive coordinator for his alma mater, William Jewell College of the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

In addition to his work as the DC at William Jewell, Figg served as the DC for the USA Team at the 2016 World University Championship held in Monterrey, Mexico.

Prior to his two-year stint at William Jewell, Figg served as the Defensive Backs Coach, Special Teams Coordinator and Recruiting Coordinator for Southern Arkansas in 2014. That season, Figg engineered a secondary that allowed the lowest opponent completion percentage (49.5%) and the second-lowest third-down conversion percentage (33.8%) in the Great American Conference.

Before his first stop at SAU, Figg spent the 2013 season as a Defensive Assistant at Arizona State, which won the PAC-12 South Division Championship, while the Sun Devil defense ranked first overall in the PAC-12.

Figg graduated from William Jewell in 2008, where he played defensive back for the Cardinals and was named a 2007 Academic All-American. After graduation, Figg spent five years on the Cardinal Football staff. Figg earned his Master's Degree in Education Leadership from Northwest Missouri State University.

Figg is originally from Chillicothe, Mo., and is married to the former Tori Hallett. Trent and Tori have a two-year old son, Titus and are expecting their second child in July.

That's a great hire for SAU!

UAM staff tweeting a lot of commits. Anxious to see the list on signing day.

Wednesday Feb 1 is 8 days away. With 12 teams I predict 323 total signees including mid year transfers.

Reddies should have a good year in 2017. They have some experience coming back and I hope they are better than the 2016 campaign. The 3 losses are a lot for the Reddies. I think some coaches would be happy with only 3 losses on a season, but HSU won't feel that way.

Harding - had a good year and will lose some talent, but with a new coach, who knows?
    SAU - Interested to see what they do. Will the OL allow Renner and receivers time and will they have a run game?
    Ouachita - Don't over look this team. Warford coming back and if they stay healthy, they will contend for GAC title.
    Ar Tech. - Who will be the starting QB and will the defense be as strong as they have been in recent years?
    SWOSU - Had a strong SR. class last year. I wonder how the new guys coming up will be for them, now that they get a chance to start. Who will QB be?
    SEOSU - This team is just missing out each year by some close games. If they convert these games, they are going to be tough on the GAC. Interested to see how the running game will be.
    NWOSU - Will be a new QB in town. Curious to see how this team responds with a new QB.
    OKBU - I was really impressed with their RB last year. If they bring back Stegall at QB and Mallory at RB, the offense will have the skilled players. Will the defense show up in 2017?
    ECU - Last year was a disappointment. I think they come back as a pretty strong team in 2017.
    UAM and SNU - What will happen to these programs? Will UAM continue to keep their HC? Looks like it and I will keep saying this, "if you don't make a change, you'll get the same results". Good luck on the year.
    SNU. Can they win 2 games in 2017?

Well I am looking forward to the season. What are other posters thoughts at this early stage of the year?
    Last edited by Redready; 03-21-2017 at 08:14 AM.

We saw some DC moment from teams like UAM, Henderson lost Coach on Defensive side that has been with the program for quite some time. Also rumor has the DC at NWOSU is looking to leave Alva. Hope they get a new guy committed to program in soon. Who else is hearing of coach changes?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast