Thread: Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Contribute to D2

Default Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Stays atop the conference standings and up to 8-0 (!) on the season with a 31-point win over APU last night. Impressive:

http://thepacwest.com/standings.aspx...06&path=mbball

2. Default Re: Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Not taking anything away from Cal Baptist, but their schedule hasn't been the strongest. 7 of their games are at home with their one road win over Point Loma. The GNAC teams they played in preseason were SFU and MSUB... I have no doubt that they are good, but folks will probably be looking to see how they do night in, night out on the road with the tougher match-ups back to back.

Default Re: Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Not taking anything way, but ..

I have no doubt they are good, but..

That's fair, and consider me a 'folk' who will be interested. My son Jason plays for CBU as previously mentioned in earlier threads. I've been fortunate to see 6 of their games so far, including at Point Loma. We've had nice home wins vs Pomona, UC San Diego and Azuza and will be challenged this Thursday by Dixie. Going on the road is the true test no doubt. They have solid leadership and a commitment to play D, those will help when you're the enemy. Not blind that losses will occur, we'll see how they respond. I know Jason loves the road, those are when the warriors come out.

Default Re: Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Quote Originally Posted by KTodd View Post
    Not taking anything way, but ..

I have no doubt they are good, but..

That's fair, and consider me a 'folk' who will be interested. My son Jason plays for CBU as previously mentioned in earlier threads. I've been fortunate to see 6 of their games so far, including at Point Loma. We've had nice home wins vs Pomona, UC San Diego and Azuza and will be challenged this Thursday by Dixie. Going on the road is the true test no doubt. They have solid leadership and a commitment to play D, those will help when you're the enemy. Not blind that losses will occur, we'll see how they respond. I know Jason loves the road, those are when the warriors come out.
    I thought the wins over Pomona, UCSD, and Azusa were excellent. I was told by someone that UCSD was going to be unreal for several years, that they wouldn't be touched on the west coast. Not sure that's true, though they are good. Azusa may be down, but traditionally since I've been following west coast D2, they've been very good. Pomona, I believe, has a national title within the last decade.

CBU is (IMO) one of the top teams on the west coast this year.

* They also have great attendance at their games, which is big in my book.

5. Default Re: Cal Baptist looking strong in the PacWest

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I was told by someone that UCSD was going to be unreal for several years, that they wouldn't be touched on the west coast. Not sure that's true, though they are good.
    UCSD should have been "unreal", but had a couple bad luck things happen. PG George Jackson (20pts against WOU in regional final last year) quit for his senior year. Sharp shooting Aleks Lipovic is out injured, too. They are still a great team, but they aren't quite the caliber that people were anticipating before the season began.