Thread: Conference Play starts this week!

Default Conference Play starts this week!

This week starts the full slate of conference play for all three leagues. Except for an odd game here or there, that closes up the books on inter-league play. By my count, the CCAA went 35-19, GNAC 21-24, and PWC 21-34. Of course, the only thing that really matters is how the top 4 teams in each conference played against each other. Time will tell on who those teams are.

Should be an interesting week in the CCAA. Here are some of the good early matchups:

Tonight: San Diego @ Pomona
    Wed: San Bern @ San Marcos
    Thurs: Chico @ San Diego
    Friday: Pomona @ SF State
    Sat: Chico @ San Marcos
    East Bay @ SF State

It seems pretty clear that Chico and San Diego are really good again. Can't ever discount Pomona, but they haven't shown well early. It will be interesting to find out if SF State (6-0) and East Bay (6-1) are for real.

Default Re: Conference Play starts this week!

Quote Originally Posted by CCAA_Fanatic View Post
    This week starts the full slate of conference play for all three leagues. Except for an odd game here or there, that closes up the books on inter-league play. By my count, the CCAA went 35-19, GNAC 21-24, and PWC 21-34. Of course, the only thing that really matters is how the top 4 teams in each conference played against each other. Time will tell on who those teams are.

Should be an interesting week in the CCAA. Here are some of the good early matchups:

Tonight: San Diego @ Pomona
    Wed: San Bern @ San Marcos
    Thurs: Chico @ San Diego
    Friday: Pomona @ SF State
    Sat: Chico @ San Marcos
    East Bay @ SF State

It seems pretty clear that Chico and San Diego are really good again. Can't ever discount Pomona, but they haven't shown well early. It will be interesting to find out if SF State (6-0) and East Bay (6-1) are for real.
    Some great games, particularly Chico at San Diego. Question: Why does UCSD play tonight and Thursday, while Chico goes Thursday and Saturday? Is Pomona the travel partner for UCSD?

3. Default Re: Conference Play starts this week!

Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    Some great games, particularly Chico at San Diego. Question: Why does UCSD play tonight and Thursday, while Chico goes Thursday and Saturday? Is Pomona the travel partner for UCSD?

Ever since San Marcos entered the conference, the schedule has been totally unpredictable and unbalanced. Last season there would be Saturday match-ups where one team played the night before, and the other hadn't played all week. There are no consistent travel partners, either. San Diego is supposed to be with San Marcos and Pomona with Humboldt. Obviously not the case this week. Hoping the new commissioner can clean scheduling up in the future.

4. Default Re: Conference Play starts this week!

Pretty good week in CCAA play so far! San Diego beats Pomona & Chico. Pomona goes on to lose big to SF State. HSU gives away an 18 point lead to LA. San Marcos beats Bern with ease...

Two more big ones tonight. First, SF State (7-0) hosting East Bay (7-1). No one thought that would be such a big match-up before the season started! Then Chico tries to bounce back against San Marcos.

5. Default Re: Conference Play starts this week!

Looks like SFS stays undefeated and Chico bounces back. Who has SFS played thus far? What's the story on them? Every time I hear/see that CSLA has gotten a good win, I check in on them and then the lose again. I wanted them to be good cause I thought they looked good in Fairbanks, but perhaps they're struggling with consistency. Thanks for the updates on the CCAA. Wishing the Pac West folks would show up and spoon feed all of us their league stuff...

6. Default Re: Conference Play starts this week!

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    Looks like SFS stays undefeated and Chico bounces back. Who has SFS played thus far? What's the story on them? Every time I hear/see that CSLA has gotten a good win, I check in on them and then the lose again. I wanted them to be good cause I thought they looked good in Fairbanks, but perhaps they're struggling with consistency. Thanks for the updates on the CCAA. Wishing the Pac West folks would show up and spoon feed all of us their league stuff...

Looks like SF State was down 27-11 to East Bay, and then went on a 53-17 run over 22 minutes and won easily. They can really score it this year. They are lead by last year's CCAA Newcomer of the Year Warren Jackson. He's a sharp shooting combo guard. They also have a quality guard in senior Coley Apsay, who missed a lot of time last season due to injury.

Their schedule hasn't been that tough, I would say that their best wins are at Western Oregon, Pomona at home, and this East Bay game. The rest of their wins are against teams with only 1 or 2 wins to their name. But, you can only beat who you play! They might make it interesting at the top of the league with Chico and San Diego this year.

LA is always an enigma. I've followed the league for almost 15 years. I think they are the CWU of the CCAA. Always good. Can beat anyone on a given day. But for some reason, they always have a couple bad losses that screw them when it comes to March.