Thread: Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

Default Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

Suki shot 3-18 and we still were only down a possession late in the game. Buffalo was in the Final 64 last year and they returned a lot of their firepower from that team including their coach.

Tomorrow won't be any easier as we take on Oakland, who lost a four point game to Nevada. All 3 teams on the Seawolf side of the bracket (Nevada, Oakland, and Buffalo) are teams that should compete for their conference championships with a chance to see the post season. The Shootout is such a good event for UAA and I hope it survives our current economic crisis.

Default Re: Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
    Suki shot 3-18 and we still were only down a possession late in the game. Buffalo was in the Final 64 last year and they returned a lot of their firepower from that team including their coach.

Tomorrow won't be any easier as we take on Oakland, who lost a four point game to Nevada. All 3 teams on the Seawolf side of the bracket (Nevada, Oakland, and Buffalo) are teams that should compete for their conference championships with a chance to see the post season. The Shootout is such a good event for UAA and I hope it survives our current economic crisis.
    I watched some of that game on TV (I think CBS sports network), UAA definitely has some athletes, they look like a good D-1 mid-major team, little difference between their athleticism/size and Buffalo's. D2 basketball is highly underrated.

Wiggs is a combined 5-37 through 2 Shootout games. He needs to dial it back some when he is not hitting. The rest of the team is very efficient, so no way he should ever go 2-19 like today. He did not have 19 good looks. Great player and he should be shooting it, but there are limits.

4. Default Re: Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
    The Shootout is such a good event for UAA and I hope it survives our current economic crisis.
    Meanwhile SPU is racking up major post season points by winning last night @ APU... At this point, UAA is looking at two road losses and no real idea of whether they will be quality losses and two expected wins at home in preseason noncon play... They will have to play a nearly perfect conference season to be looking for an at large bid for post season play (unless everyone else collapses). I'm not sure, particularly this year that the Shootout is that great for UAA. Especially when you think that the nearly $1 million dollar price tag is almost as much as each of the teams that were nearly slated for elimination from UAA. I wonder how the nordic skiers feel now... Skiing for a university that just got walked back from the ledge of cutting their program while the Shootout goes on?

Oh, and, as a Fairbanksan whose school gets their money from the same pot, I'd say that I would love to have a home tournament to attend... Just one. Doesn't have to cost a million... But we lost our home tourney a few years ago to funding... I don't wish you guys down there less ball, but perhaps a slightly scaled down tourney with elite DII teams would actually be better for UAA and more affordable.

I don't know the whole story on the Shootout, finances, etc. ... I do know tonight UAA beat Division I Drake. Impressive victory.

6. Default Re: Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

That's a good win for them (as a fan of their in-state-rivals, I try really hard to not always come off as hating them or being jealous of their resources =). They're heading down to Ellensburg next week to open GNAC. Game of the Week! I just spent a minute looking at the GNAC standings/schedules. WIDE OPEN... CWU has probably been the most consistent, although WWU has done okay, but maybe not quite the level of competition that CWU has had??? Tsull, stop being so hard on your boys--according to the GNAC statistics they are at the bottom of the league in shooting percentage, but they are also very near the top in scoring defense! It's a really young season and the GNAC appears to be in a major transition year.

Quote Originally Posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    That's a good win for them (as a fan of their in-state-rivals, I try really hard to not always come off as hating them or being jealous of their resources =). They're heading down to Ellensburg next week to open GNAC. Game of the Week! I just spent a minute looking at the GNAC standings/schedules. WIDE OPEN... CWU has probably been the most consistent, although WWU has done okay, but maybe not quite the level of competition that CWU has had??? Tsull, stop being so hard on your boys--according to the GNAC statistics they are at the bottom of the league in shooting percentage, but they are also very near the top in scoring defense! It's a really young season and the GNAC appears to be in a major transition year.
    The reason I'm hard on the brick layers of Monmouth is that Berg, F-Bay, and Trammell, were all brought in because they were lights out 3-point shooters. They're clankers. They weren't brought in to shore up the middle, to be stout rebounders or big time dunkers. They were brought in to shoot 3's and make them at a decent percentage. The adjustment to D2 is either too much for them, or maybe they're not that good of shooters. I'll go with the first theory and hope they get better at the thing they're supposed to do well.

Again, Alex Roth's absence has been a killer.

northernGNACfan, here is a interesting question for you on the UAF budget. How much are they spending on the new 20MW cogeneration plant in Fbx? Think you will find that UAF does not suffer from lack of financial support as compared to UAA - it is just a matter of what they spend it on.

On a positive note about UAA, in the win over Drake, Wiggs was taking what Drake gave to him rather than repeatedly driving into the teeth of their defense (he is far more valuable when he does so). Result was that UAA won rather easily. I still think that UAA ends up winning the GNAC with CWU in second.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    northernGNACfan, here is a interesting question for you on the UAF budget. How much are they spending on the new 20MW cogeneration plant in Fbx? Think you will find that UAF does not suffer from lack of financial support as compared to UAA - it is just a matter of what they spend it on.

On a positive note about UAA, in the win over Drake, Wiggs was taking what Drake gave to him rather than repeatedly driving into the teeth of their defense (he is far more valuable when he does so). Result was that UAA won rather easily. I still think that UAA ends up winning the GNAC with CWU in second.
    I also stand by my pre-season pick for UAA to win the GNAC. Like I said, when I watched them vs. a very good Buffalo team, they looked almost equal. UAA has a lot of physical talent, it's a matter of putting it together. Wiggs and Svejcar look like bona fide D-1 starters (Wiggs already was a D-1 starter). I think CWU and SPU will give UAA a run for the title. I'm not sold on my Wolves yet and haven't seen WWU play.

10. Default Re: Seawolves drop a close one to Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_AK View Post
    northernGNACfan, here is a interesting question for you on the UAF budget. How much are they spending on the new 20MW cogeneration plant in Fbx? Think you will find that UAF does not suffer from lack of financial support as compared to UAA - it is just a matter of what they spend it on. Haaa haa. You are always doing too much research. I was just talking/sulking about basketball stuff, where you guys seem to have easily close to double our funding, but I'm okay with it now cause we are approaching the part of the season where everyone gets the same amount of home games! League Play!

Dudes, who cares about the finish line right now, when we have tomorrow night? Should be a super fun game in Ellensburg. Both teams have got to want this one pretty bad. I have a hunch it'll go to Anchorage this time, but it's only a hunch, based on no real comparison, other than the fact that I read there were tears in the post game pressor after they beat Drake... and I've been ragging on them a lot lately...
    Fun Times!

Hate to say it but the weak link on this UAA team is the coach. I can't imagine he is ever going to have a more talented, balanced, experienced team. It is up to him to get the most out of it - something that didn't happen in HI. Hopefully HI and the Shootout were a learning experience for the team and the coaching staff.

Think the CWU game may be decided by refs. If they allow CWU to be very physical, then CWU has a good chance. If the game called tight, it favors UAA.

gnorthfan, for the price of the 17MW plant UAF is building, I could have built the Alaska Airlines Center, a 17MW cogen plant next door and ran all new piping of the system at UAA and still make enough profit to build my own 17MW plant. I am sure that it has something to do with the fact that the UAF plant is a duel fuel coal-biomass plant and the plants I am comparing it to would be natural gas - but $14,000/kW is an astounding price (for example the new Southcentral Area Power Plant in Anchorage was about $2,000 a kW to build). I am sure Usibelli will make UAF a deal on coal, but wow.
    Last edited by Rob_AK; 12-01-2016 at 02:55 PM.