Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Pitt Hoops

Default OT: Pitt Hoops

I'm certainly not touting Pitt as the next great Final Four team or anything, but they actually look like they're highly watchable at least from what I have taken in thus far. Kevin Stallings and his uptempo motion offense seems like such a breath of fresh air compared to Jamie Dixon's stale brand of horrifically boring basketball. At least I didn't feel like flinging myself headfirst down an elevator shaft like I did with Dixon at the helm. Hopefully a new era has been brought forth with Pitt hoops.

Any thoughts?

-

2. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Compared to Dixon, anybody who Pitt hired was going to bring an exciting brand of basketball. I still think it was a very uninspired hire. But it probably didn't matter. The ACC is a terrible place for Pitt hoops, they'll be trying to run up and down the floor against superior athletes night in and night out. In good years they'll be a middle of the pack NCAA bubble team. They needed to stick with their tough, physical identity, but truthfully they had lost that the last several years and just played slow, plodding ugly basketball that gave the illusion that they still played good defense.

Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

You could probably argue the move was the undoing of the Jamie era. Looking back he tried to somewhat change their identity and become an ACC style team. It failed. You wonder what would have happened if he had kept the Pitt identity. Virginia is having success as a defense-first team. Big success. Dixon losing Maverick Rowan was the final blow. Like you said they just became a team over-matched and one without an identity. I saw those last few Pitt teams as having the ability to do some things kind of right and some things kind of wrong. The results were the results.

Jamie had a good run for the most part. Stallings was a safe hire. I 'think' he'll do well enough to be a top-half ACC program. We'll see how he does once the Jamie guys are out of the program. He had some nice teams at Vandy. Academics make recruiting there pretty tough. Pitt also isn't as high-profile of a job as many think. The A-listers weren't lining up for the job. When it opened many national analysts said it was a Top 50 job -- maybe Top 60.

I think we sometimes lose sight of just how bad the Pitt program was prior to the Ben Howland and Dixon era's. Those were dark, dark days. Jamie had a couple years that he was legitimately probably one player away -- he unfortunately never found him. Overall, the product got stale. It was time for a change. TCU just made the transition easier. I see Jamie as a coach who will keep your program relevant and clean, win some games but struggle on the dance floor.

4. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Pitt also isn't as high-profile of a job as many think. The A-listers weren't lining up for the job. When it opened many national analysts said it was a Top 50 job -- maybe Top 60.
    I have to admit that I'm still shocked that Archie Miller didn't even seem to consider leaving Dayton for the Pitt job. That was hard to believe.

I think we sometimes lose sight of just how bad the Pitt program was prior to the Ben Howland and Dixon era's. Those were dark, dark days. Jamie had a couple years that he was legitimately probably one player away -- he unfortunately never found him. Overall, the product got stale. It was time for a change. TCU just made the transition easier. I see Jamie as a coach who will keep your program relevant and clean, win some games but struggle on the dance floor.
    Very true. It was truly awful to say the least for a time there. Howland did a wonderful job. Jamie very nearly made a Final Four in 2009.

5. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I have to admit that I'm still shocked that Archie Miller didn't even seem to consider leaving Dayton for the Pitt job. That was hard to believe.
    Not really. I go back to a quote from a Paul Zeise column during Pitt's coaching search that said something along the lines of, Archie left Pittsburgh at 18 and has never looked back. The idea of going home just doesn't appeal to some the way it does others. Besides that Dayton is a great job, Pitt is barely a step up, if it is one at all. Dayton is a basketball school in a very good conference and he is well paid. If Archie wants to wait out a big time job, Dayton is the perfect place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Not really. I go back to a quote from a Paul Zeise column during Pitt's coaching search that said something along the lines of, Archie left Pittsburgh at 18 and has never looked back. The idea of going home just doesn't appeal to some the way it does others. Besides that Dayton is a great job, Pitt is barely a step up, if it is one at all. Dayton is a basketball school in a very good conference and he is well paid. If Archie wants to wait out a big time job, Dayton is the perfect place.
    Plus he could take a nice pay increase without moving far by taking future adjacent jobs at Xavier and Cincinnati. Miami is just 20 minutes away but they are a MAC school who don't have the finances to pay up just like in football.

End of day when the coach at Dayton turns down the Pitt job ... I think my comment above gets all the more street cred. Pitt is not a destination D1 college job. It's a very good job but not seen as an elite job.

For Archie ... he can win and win big in that conference a hell of a lot easier than he could at Pitt and in the ACC. Dayton is also paying him very, very well. His 'stock' could fall a bit at Pitt -- or at least be at risk.

I don't think it's too far off until two of the 'big boy jobs' open up at Duke and NC. My guess would be within 3-5 years max. Coach K (69) and Roy Williams (66) are getting up there in age. Both are elite .. I just don't see either trying to stay around in to their early- to mid-70s. Never know, I guess. Coach K looks likes he's in his 50s. If anybody could last 10 more years to 79 it's probably him.

The big problem with Pitt MBB, and I've heard this from everyone from Bill Hillgrove (who has probably seen more Pitt sports over the years than most of us combined ever will in our lifetimes) to the most cynical critics in the Pittsburgh media: When Pitt moved to the ACC to the 'Big East', Dixon lost his top recruiting base in New York. He never adjusted to ACC recruiting and Pittsburgh isn't exactly a high school basketball hotbed (at least not compared to NYC, DC or even Philly). Whether or not Stallings can use his experience as a coach in ACC/SEC territory (which, when you think about it, overlaps a lot, particularly from South Carolina through Florida) to his advantage remains to be seen. But, in the overall scheme of things, Pitt is really an AAC/MAC school masquerading as a Power Five program.

9. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    The big problem with Pitt MBB, and I've heard this from everyone from Bill Hillgrove (who has probably seen more Pitt sports over the years than most of us combined ever will in our lifetimes) to the most cynical critics in the Pittsburgh media: When Pitt moved to the ACC to the 'Big East', Dixon lost his top recruiting base in New York. He never adjusted to ACC recruiting and Pittsburgh isn't exactly a high school basketball hotbed (at least not compared to NYC, DC or even Philly). Whether or not Stallings can use his experience as a coach in ACC/SEC territory (which, when you think about it, overlaps a lot, particularly from South Carolina through Florida) to his advantage remains to be seen. But, in the overall scheme of things, Pitt is really an AAC/MAC school masquerading as a Power Five program.
    If your last statement is true of Pitt then it's also true of at least half the other programs that make up the Power 5. Pitt infuriates its fans and delights its critics by never getting 'over the hump' but they compete just fine right where they are.

Yale put up a good fight last night.

Side note: Fort Wayne's upset of Indiana ... former WPIAL player Kassan Harrell (sp) (Hempfield) is a starting guard for Fort Wayne. He had a big night. That was a classy move by IU to agree to take the 'road' game. That's pretty rare as elitism usually is a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    If your last statement is true of Pitt then it's also true of at least half the other programs that make up the Power 5. Pitt infuriates its fans and delights its critics by never getting 'over the hump' but they compete just fine right where they are.
    It's more of an opinion than a cold hard fact, but at least Pitt isn't Rutgers - talk about a disaster since they joined the B1G.

12. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    It's more of an opinion than a cold hard fact, but at least Pitt isn't Rutgers - talk about a disaster since they joined the B1G.
    Should've kept Mike Rice. LOL.

13. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Yale put up a good fight last night.

Side note: Fort Wayne's upset of Indiana ... former WPIAL player Kassan Harrell (sp) (Hempfield) is a starting guard for Fort Wayne. He had a big night. That was a classy move by IU to agree to take the 'road' game. That's pretty rare as elitism usually is a factor.
    Pitt's likely in for a good arse-beating once the schedule turns mean here.

14. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Why would he? Miller has no ties to the University of Pittsburgh and has been pretty successful in the A-10 (arguably the best of the mid-major conferences). He's likely to get better offers than Pitt if he keeps it up for another year or two.

Money talks. Their salary package wasn't going to attract anybody of star level.

16. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Big win for Pitt hoops today in downing Syracuse by a 76-61 count. They shot well.

-

On one hand you say ... wow 76 points. Then you say how in the fizzle do you give up 61 points to Syracuse.

18. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

What was really nuts is that the game was not settled even when Pitt had 63 points on the board. Crazy. Play some defense. That was an utter embarrassment.

Wonder where Pitt is going in Bowl season?

-

What an embarrassment for Pitt. Artis suspension better have been worth it.

20. Default Re: OT: Pitt Hoops

Jamie never lost to Duquesne. Yikes!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast