Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 112

Thread: Gannon MBB and WBB

  1. #1

    Default Gannon MBB and WBB

    What's going on in the Hammermill?
    So missing Cleve Wright at the moment. I did not renew my season tickets this year after 15 years of great Basketball. The men play great defense but can't even Hoosier the ball into the hoop. You could at least count on the women to play well, but one of the best players on last years team plays volleyball now. And no, I would not consider buying Hurst season tix. Can someone enlighten me on what's going on there? Does the administration even care?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    You could buy LeMoyne season tickets.

  3. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    I probably could but the drive/snowmobile/sleighride would kill me. It's just really hard to get excited about hoops in the mill anymore. I found myself dozing off a few times last season.

  4. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    I think PSAC women's hoops is really down across the board to be honest. There were quite a few very exciting years with a lot of dynamic teams, players, and coaches.

    Cleve Wright was a top-end coach. He fought a number of exciting duels with IUP's Jeff Dow for a time there. Goodness, the Lady Knights should have won a national title in 2010.

    -

  5. #5

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    I think the men bounce back some this year. He had a good class. The Reilly system, as you know, isn't for everybody.

    I think it's built for regular season success but without scoring he'll never do much beyond the PSAC.

    Gannon lost a lot of talent in transfers for whatever reason. He seems to really need the right type of player, mentally, to buy in and play successfully in his slow-down, 1955 offense.

    He's a good coach and has run a good program. I can understand some of the frustration. Fans want some action these days.

    If the first portion of games is an indicator, the West may not be real strong this year. Minus IUP it hasn't done too well outside of division so far.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I think PSAC women's hoops is really down across the board to be honest. There were quite a few very exciting years with a lot of dynamic teams, players, and coaches.
    -
    Please be a little more specific. WBB may be down in some venues, but certainly not all. Very excited to follow the VULCAN WBB as they take another run at glory. Amazing experience and very skilled young players. And Coach Jess.

  7. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Please be a little more specific. WBB may be down in some venues, but certainly not all. Very excited to follow the VULCAN WBB as they take another run at glory. Amazing experience and very skilled young players. And Coach Jess.
    I did say "across the board." Yes, well aware what you all have at Cal. That's why I blew a gasket or two about my alma mater's WBB program last week. I surfed the Cal WBB site a few days ago and shook my head. It's highly unlikely that they can compete with them at this point. I just wonder if there is a disparity in funding between the programs? Or is it just a question of management and allocation of resources?

    It just seems like a lot of once quality WBB PSAC programs are ebbing a bit now from what they used to be-----IUP, Gannon, Boro, Bloom, WC,

    Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here. Admittedly I haven't been following things as much as I once did. Just seems like things have really fallen off quite a bit (okay, not Cal).

    -

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    I did say "across the board." Yes, well aware what you all have at Cal. That's why I blew a gasket or two about my alma mater's WBB program last week. I surfed the Cal WBB site a few days ago and shook my head. It's highly unlikely that they can compete with them at this point. I just wonder if there is a disparity in funding between the programs? Or is it just a question of management and allocation of resources?

    It just seems like a lot of once quality WBB PSAC programs are ebbing a bit now from what they used to be-----IUP, Gannon, Boro, Bloom, WC,

    Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong here. Admittedly I haven't been following things as much as I once did. Just seems like things have really fallen off quite a bit (okay, not Cal).

    -
    I was a bit surprised to see IUP, GANNON and EDINBORO WBB getting off to slow starts. Given the current administration at CALU, I don't believe any extra funding is available. The continuity of the coaching and playing style probably has something to do with it. On the recruiting front, it's an amazing skill that means everything to a program's success. Whatever that skill entails, JESS STROM and her assistants seem to have it in spades.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,873
    Rep Power
    172231

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I was a bit surprised to see IUP, GANNON and EDINBORO WBB getting off to slow starts. Given the current administration at CALU, I don't believe any extra funding is available. The continuity of the coaching and playing style probably has something to do with it. On the recruiting front, it's an amazing skill that means everything to a program's success. Whatever that skill entails, JESS STROM and her assistants seem to have it in spades.
    Well, there is that nice shiny trophy the Vulcans picked up in Sioux Falls a couple of years ago... that certainly couldn't hurt in bringing in the talent.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    She's done phenomenal down there. That's the only women's game I arrive early enough to watch the whole game. I don't mean that to be taken the wrong way, I'm just more a fan of the men's game. I'd assume she's going to have a big offer in the near future -- be it Happy Valley or some other major D1 program.

  11. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    She's done phenomenal down there. That's the only women's game I arrive early enough to watch the whole game. I don't mean that to be taken the wrong way, I'm just more a fan of the men's game. I'd assume she's going to have a big offer in the near future -- be it Happy Valley or some other major D1 program.
    Shes got a great squad. I can only imagine if IUP, and Gannon had kept Dow and Wright, that those three teams would duke it out all the time. Add Bloom from the East and that's 4 solid chances for a PSAC team to make the elite 8. I hope she stays just for sake of retaining quality PSAC hoops. I just don't want to lose to Hurst. That's my wish for this season.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    😁

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    She's done phenomenal down there. That's the only women's game I arrive early enough to watch the whole game. I don't mean that to be taken the wrong way, I'm just more a fan of the men's game. I'd assume she's going to have a big offer in the near future -- be it Happy Valley or some other major D1 program.
    This has come up before and although the thought worries me, several facts give me some hope. She has been with the program for over 10 years and stayed when things got really strange. She was hired by Darcie Vincent as a second asst behind Heather Kearney. When DV left for APP STATE and HK was named HC, she became the first assistant and things looked bright. But when HK was let go after 1 season and a trip to the ELITE EIGHT, she might have expected to be considered for the HC job. Instead, DR ARMENTI hired MARK SWASEY from FRANKLIN PIERCE and she remained as first asst. Then when MS was dismissed midway through the 11-12 season, she was named INTERIM HC. Finally going into the 12-13 season she got the official HC title. If that roller coaster ride didn't sour her on CALU, it seems that it would take A LOT to lure her away. Especially since her mentor, DV, got dumped by APP STATE just prior to the 15-16 season, she may be just a bit gun shy to make that leap unless the opportunity arises at PSU. After 2 bad seasons, the LADY LIONS under HC Coquese Washington seems to have righted the ship and that job may not be available any time soon. Should JS be able to engineer another run at the NC, all bets may be off but a fan can hope.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    7312

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    From WICU TV news 12.... You decide

    http://www.erietvnews.com/story/3223...sketball-coach

    Erie News Now was first to report that a basketball booster is calling for the head coach of Gannon University women's basketball team, to be fired. She alleges that he is verbally abusive to players.
    The booster is M..... mhnubg Fjbbbbkll. Her husband, a dentist, makes free mouth guards for Gannon team athletes. She says her source of information is the players.

    The Gannon women's basketball coach is Jim Brunelli. He is a coach with a winning reputation, who just finished his third season at Gannon. But F7968GH765h7 says he also has a reputation for bullying the Gannon women he coaches.

    We obtained a copy of a letter Fjniyg66g sent to top Gannon officials, including Bishop Lawrence Persico, chair of Gannon's Board of Trustees saying that Coach Brunelli has not upheld the mission of Gannon University to "offer a values centered learning experience that emphasizes faith, leadership and social responsibility." In the letter, ny78bjo.... said student athletes confided in her about their "mental anguish and emotional pain as the result of verbal abuse and bullying during practice and games." She also stated that Gannon women basketball players told her they "fear he (Brunelli) will follow through with his threat of revoking their athletic scholarships."

    Sources tell Erie News Now that several players will not return to play basketball at Gannon next year because of the coach. We talked to Gannon Sports Information Director Dan Teliski by phone. He confirmed that concerns were brought forward at the end of the basketball season, and the matter was under review from then until the end of the school year. Because it is a personnel issue, he could not comment further. Teliski did tell us that Brunelli is still the women's coach, and that the Gannon administration is behind him. As for talk that many of the team members are not coming back, the SID told us he has heard that as well, but for now guard Elissa Ellerbrock is the only official transfer out.
    Gannon University officials also confirmed the in-depth review process and in a statement said, "the matter has been addressed in accordance with university policy and guided by our university mission."
    A former Gannon player, who asked us not to use her name called the outcome of the review, "absolutely absurd." She said, "They are really going to lose a great deal of fans and respect for a program that was once one of the top Division II women's basketball teams in the nation for continuous years."
    Last edited by Sec10-A-14; 11-25-2016 at 07:58 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    31467

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Quote Originally Posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    From WICU TV news 12.... You decide

    http://www.erietvnews.com/story/3223...sketball-coach

    Erie News Now was first to report that a basketball booster is calling for the head coach of Gannon University women's basketball team, to be fired. She alleges that he is verbally abusive to players.
    The booster is M..... mhnubg Fjbbbbkll. Her husband, a dentist, makes free mouth guards for Gannon team athletes. She says her source of information is the players.

    The Gannon women's basketball coach is Jim Brunelli. He is a coach with a winning reputation, who just finished his third season at Gannon. But F7968GH765h7 says he also has a reputation for bullying the Gannon women he coaches.

    We obtained a copy of a letter Fjniyg66g sent to top Gannon officials, including Bishop Lawrence Persico, chair of Gannon's Board of Trustees saying that Coach Brunelli has not upheld the mission of Gannon University to "offer a values centered learning experience that emphasizes faith, leadership and social responsibility." In the letter, ny78bjo.... said student athletes confided in her about their "mental anguish and emotional pain as the result of verbal abuse and bullying during practice and games." She also stated that Gannon women basketball players told her they "fear he (Brunelli) will follow through with his threat of revoking their athletic scholarships."

    Sources tell Erie News Now that several players will not return to play basketball at Gannon next year because of the coach. We talked to Gannon Sports Information Director Dan Teliski by phone. He confirmed that concerns were brought forward at the end of the basketball season, and the matter was under review from then until the end of the school year. Because it is a personnel issue, he could not comment further. Teliski did tell us that Brunelli is still the women's coach, and that the Gannon administration is behind him. As for talk that many of the team members are not coming back, the SID told us he has heard that as well, but for now guard Elissa Ellerbrock is the only official transfer out.
    Gannon University officials also confirmed the in-depth review process and in a statement said, "the matter has been addressed in accordance with university policy and guided by our university mission."
    A former Gannon player, who asked us not to use her name called the outcome of the review, "absolutely absurd." She said, "They are really going to lose a great deal of fans and respect for a program that was once one of the top Division II women's basketball teams in the nation for continuous years."
    That is a coaching style that CAN work but it is a very fine line between tough coaching and abuse. When DARCIE VINCENT was at CALU she seemed to be able to stay just on the right side of that style. When she left HEATHER KEARNEY took over and carried on the tradition, but must have stepped over the line because she was let go after 1 season despite taking the team to the ELITE 8. I have no direct knowledge of the circumstances, but the rumor was that her players, and their parents, revolted and basically got her ousted. This story seems odd in that the complaining party is neither the players, nor their parents, but an indirectly connected third party. It will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ft Worth, TX
    Posts
    782
    Rep Power
    7312

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    I know the letter writer. She has entertained and counseled several players in her home. Not saying either way just what TV-12 news reported.

  17. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    The story about the Brunelli is from July. They didn't find anything of great substance to let him go back then. However, if they don't win this year and with the "internal investigation" from the summer, it will be very hard for Coach Brunelli to keep his job. The Gannon job is what some considered to be a high profile job back when Cleve left, so I am sure that there would not be a shortage of quality applicants for the job if he were to be let go. One of which I feel could just be Mr. Wright himself.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    I'd say he's on the Green Mile. They are going to have a very long season.

  19. Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Sounds like being a D2 women's hoops coach isn't much different from coaching high school. God bless those willing to do it.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Gannon MBB and WBB

    Isn't that similar to what got Dow ousted?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •