Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: GNAC play starts this weekend

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,519
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    78500

    Default GNAC play starts this weekend

    Some decent games, nice to see the season tip-off:

    Saturday, October 29, 2016

    Event Location Time/Result
    Douglas College at Simon Fraser # Burnaby, BC 2:00 p.m.

    Seattle Pacific at BYU # Provo, UT 7:00 p.m.

    Sunday, October 30, 2016

    Event Location Time/Result
    Saint Martin's at Eastern Washington # Cheney, WA 2:05 p.m.

  2. Default Re: GNAC play starts this weekend

    Also, I want to note that the CWU women play at UW. Keep in mind UW made the Final Four last year and they return 3 of their top 4 players (Plum, Osahor, Collier)

  3. #3

    Default Re: GNAC play starts this weekend

    Saw that the Idaho men opened up with an 80-62 exhibition win over Carroll (MT) a top rated NAIA program. Both of those teams should have good seasons

  4. #4

    Default Re: GNAC play starts this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
    Saw that the Idaho men opened up with an 80-62 exhibition win over Carroll (MT) a top rated NAIA program. Both of those teams should have good seasons
    I watched part of that game on video (I'm an Idaho fan) and UI has their best team in quite some time, some very good players from the Northwest. Carroll had two guys who would see significant playing time at the D1 mid-major level. They have a great athletic program at Carroll, wish they were in the GNAC.

  5. #5

    Default Re: GNAC play starts this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by tsull View Post
    I watched part of that game on video (I'm an Idaho fan) and UI has their best team in quite some time, some very good players from the Northwest. Carroll had two guys who would see significant playing time at the D1 mid-major level. They have a great athletic program at Carroll, wish they were in the GNAC.
    I agree on Carroll's overall athletic program and that they'd be an awesome addition to the GNAC. They actually were contemplating the move a few years ago, but I don't think it is going to happen now. Right now they are running on high octane in men's basketball and the current coach has them headed toward continued success. Plus it is a great school. I could also see them being a great fit in the conference that houses Linfield, Willamette, George Fox, Whitworth.......all of those D3 schools that are private and cost upwards of $40,000 a year to attend. They all kind of recruit the same kid and as it is now Carroll is an outlier in their current conference to some degree.

  6. #6

    Default Re: GNAC play starts this weekend

    Quote Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
    I agree on Carroll's overall athletic program and that they'd be an awesome addition to the GNAC. They actually were contemplating the move a few years ago, but I don't think it is going to happen now. Right now they are running on high octane in men's basketball and the current coach has them headed toward continued success. Plus it is a great school. I could also see them being a great fit in the conference that houses Linfield, Willamette, George Fox, Whitworth.......all of those D3 schools that are private and cost upwards of $40,000 a year to attend. They all kind of recruit the same kid and as it is now Carroll is an outlier in their current conference to some degree.
    I don't see them going non-scholarship D3 and lowering their talent level in every sport. D3 hoops for the most part isn't entertaining. I've gone to a lot of games and frankly, it's a bunch of slow guys shooting jumpers. Carroll has 24 football scholarships right now, they'd move into the GNAC with near the most of any team. I admire what Linfield has done in football and they would transition well up to the GNAC in football and baseball. They'd get crushed in hoops and other sports. Every other NWC team would get crushed in the GNAC except Whitworth in hoops.

    I can't see Carroll joining the Northwest Conference and telling their fans this is great, look at all these guys (and gals) who are not near the same athletes as we had before. The community wouldn't be excited. They'd be better off staying in their current NAIA league.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •