Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIAA Men's Basketball 2016-2017

Contribute to D2

Default CIAA Men's Basketball 2016-2017

After hiring former NBA player Doug Overton LU is now adding AJ English to their coaching staff.

AJ English to coach at LU

http://richmondfreepress.com/news/20...lish-coach-lu/

Lincoln University of Pennsylvania will have a familiar face on the sidelines during the coming basketball season when the Lions visit Virginia Union University on Jan. 21.

A.J. English Jr., who starred for VUU from 1986 to 1990, will be a volunteer assistant coach for the Lincoln University Lions.

As a VUU senior in 1990, English was named NCAA Player of the Year while leading Division II in scoring average with 31 points per game.

English was a second round draft choice for the Washington Bullets and played two NBA seasons with the team.

English’s older son, A.J. English III, now plays basketball professionally in Italy following a distinguished career at Iona College in New Rochelle, N.Y.

At Lincoln, English will assist Coach Doug Overton, who was named last spring to succeed John Hill, now the women’s basketball coach at Elizabeth City State University in North Carolina.

The Lions, part of the CIAA Northern Division, were 9-20 overall last season and 6-10 in the conference.

Coach Overton starred at LaSalle University in Philadelphia and played 11 NBA seasons with eight different teams.

Default Re: CIAA Men's Basketball 2016-2017

The Lions who historically have been height challenged has two 6'10" players. One is a 240 lbs. transfer from D1 Manhattan College and the other is a JUCO player who played in Iowa by way of South Jersey at 200 lbs.

Below is a nice video clip on Lincoln Basketball 2016-2017 with Coach Overton and his staff before the addition of AJ English.

https://blackcagersports.com/2016/10...-doug-overton/

Looking forward to seeing Lincoln in a few weeks play against IUP and UPJ.

Those are going to be two very difficult opponents to open up against ... what's the vibe on Lincoln this year? From the roster it looks pretty transfer-heavy.

CIAA Announces Men's 2016-17 Preseason Basketball Predictions & All-CIAA Team

Charlotte, NC (October 14, 2016) – The Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) and its Men's Basketball Coaches Association announce the 2016-17 Men's Basketball Predicted Order of Finish and the Preseason All-CIAA Team.

The defending champion Trojans of Virginia State University have been predicted to sweep the CIAA again this season. The Trojans finished last season 24-6 overall with a 14-2 conference record. VSU advanced to the NCAA Division II Atlantic Region Tournament where the team closed their season with a 90-69 loss to West Liberty in the second round. VSU's Northern Division foe, Virginia Union University has been selected to rank second in the conference. Last year, VUU was eliminated by Livingstone College in the semifinal game and finished 16-4 overall, 8-8 in the conference.

2016-17 Men's Basketball Predicted Order
    (as selected by the CIAA Men's Basketball Coaches' Association)

Overall Predicted Order Team Record
    Overall/Conf./Div. 2016-17
    Head Coach 2016-17
    Schedule
    Notes
    1.Virginia State, 109 (9 first place votes) 24-6 / 14-2 / 8-2 Lonnie Blow, Jr. Schedule 2015-16 Coach of the Year
    2.Virginia Union, 98 16-14 / 8-8 / 7-3 Jay Butler Schedule
    3.Bowie State, 91 17-13 / 9-7 / 5-5 Darrell Brooks Schedule
    4.Fayetteville State, 89 (1 first place vote) 14-15 / 6-10 / 4-6 Ken Spencer Schedule 1st Season
    5.Winston-Salem State, 69 11-17 / 5-11 / 4-6 James Wilhelmi Schedule
    6.Shaw, 67 12-17 / 9-7 / 5-5 Joel Hopkins Schedule
    7.Johnson C. Smith, 57 14-12 / 9-7 / 7-3 Stephen Joyner, Sr. Schedule
    8.Saint Augustine's, 52 11-16 / 6-10 / 6-4 MarQus Johnson Schedule
    9.Chowan, 50 19-9 / 11-5 / 5-5 Brett Vincent Schedule
    10.Livingstone, 50 15-17 / 7-9 / 4-6 James Stinson Schedule
    11.Elizabeth City State, 23 9-15 / 6-10 / 2-8 Alico Dunk Schedule
    12.Lincoln (Pa.), 18 9-20 / 6-10 / 2-8 Doug Overton Schedule 1st Season

Divisional Predicted Order
    Northern Division Southern Division
    1. Virginia State 1. Fayetteville State
    2. Virginia Union 2. Winston-Salem State
    3. Bowie State 3. Shaw
    4. Chowan 4. Johnson C. Smith
    5. Elizabeth City State 5. Saint Augustine's
    6. Lincoln (Pa.) 6. Livingstone

http://theciaa.com/sports/mbkb/2016-...20161013yxnf1u

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Lincoln in a few weeks play against IUP and UPJ.

Those are going to be two very difficult opponents to open up against ... what's the vibe on Lincoln this year? From the roster it looks pretty transfer-heavy.
    IUPbigINDIANS:

The official roster has not posted on the athletic website yet, but I can tell you Lincoln will not be height challenged like they were in the past. We have a few holdovers i.e. top player and last season starter Joshua Davis, Quaman Burton and a few others from last year’s squad, but we have a lot of transfers. As I mentioned in a previous post, we have two 6’10” guys, a D1 transfer and a Juco originally from NJ but played ball in Iowa. Looking at a photo on “The Lincoln University Lions Athletics” Facebook page, I saw some other 6’7’ and 6’8 guys also. All of the Juco and Transfer can play ball, but as well know the team has to “gel” and play within Coach Overton’s system. Coach Overton mentioned what you said, that the opening games are going to tough, but the competitive competition will get us ready for conference play.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLincolnU...64491233590642
    Last edited by NJLincolnLion; 10-26-2016 at 10:56 AM.

It looks like their record was fairly deceiving last year -- a lot of real close losses in Jan and Feb.

IUP and UPJ play similar styles -- UPJ is just kind of the slower version of the two. UPJ has a very strong point guard, a nice center and very good small forward who can shoot the lights out from outside. The rest of the cast will have some new faces along with a few returning. They are very well-coached and very system-oriented. They've had the same coach for about 25 years. They play pretty mistake-free and methodical. Their biggest issue is never the starting five but the depth behind it. We'll see if this year is different.

IUP is going to see Syracuse and Villanova prior to Lincoln so they're going to get all the size exposure they'll probably ever want to see. They have a lot back this year and some big additions. It's almost here.

I was glad to see you guys were coming out. Nice to see some new teams come to the KCAC.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    It looks like their record was fairly deceiving last year -- a lot of real close losses in Jan and Feb.

IUP and UPJ play similar styles -- UPJ is just kind of the slower version of the two. UPJ has a very strong point guard, a nice center and very good small forward who can shoot the lights out from outside. The rest of the cast will have some new faces along with a few returning. They are very well-coached and very system-oriented. They've had the same coach for about 25 years. They play pretty mistake-free and methodical. Their biggest issue is never the starting five but the depth behind it. We'll see if this year is different.

IUP is going to see Syracuse and Villanova prior to Lincoln so they're going to get all the size exposure they'll probably ever want to see. They have a lot back this year and some big additions. It's almost here.

I was glad to see you guys were coming out. Nice to see some new teams come to the KCAC.
    Playing Nova and the 'Cuse will definitely get you guys ready for big front lines and for the PSAC. Fortunately for the Red Hawks they are exhibition. Our games at the KCAC will count. I see you guys will also be playing Bowie State at home after your S&T BANK ATLANTIC REGION CHALLENGE.

What the heck is a "P" and "W"" on St. AugsbBasketball website for positions?

http://www.saintaugfalcons.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

Quote Originally Posted by NJLincolnLion View Post
    What the heck is a "P" and "W"" on St. AugsbBasketball website for positions?

http://www.saintaugfalcons.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball
    I'm guessing 'W' is for 'wing' and 'P' is for 'power forward' - that's just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    I'm guessing 'W' is for 'wing' and 'P' is for 'power forward' - that's just my guess.
    ctrabs74:

I was thinking along the same lines but why wouldn't they use PF for power forward. They list SG on the roster. Rather strange to me.

ctrabs74:

I was thinking along the same lines but why wouldn't they use PF for power forward. They list SG on the roster. Rather strange to me.
    Maybe "P" is for post....as in post player?

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Maybe "P" is for post....as in post player?
    IUP Extra Mile:

Good point, I didn't think of "post".

2016-2017 Lincoln University Basketball Madness photos at Manuel Rivero Hall.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheLinco...77061372333628
    Last edited by NJLincolnLion; 11-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Philadelphia Tribune article on Coach Doug Overton and Lincoln University Men's Basketball from 11/5/2016

‘I’m ready,’ says rookie head coach of The Lincoln U.

Doug Overton is used to being a leader. He likes the view from up front. He enjoys setting the pace and thrives on making key decisions.
    In May, the 47-year-old former point guard made an important career-altering decision by accepting the job of head basketball coach at Lincoln University.
    “I’m ready,” said Overton, a former standout at Murrell Dobbins Tech and LaSalle University.

Among his accomplishments was winning a Public League title at Dobbins, where he played with the late Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble, and leading the Explorers to three consecutive NCAA tournament appearances.

He averaged a team high 22.3 points a game during his senior season in 1991. In fact, he remains LaSalle’s career leader in assists (671) and steals (277).
    “Doug has always had a high basketball IQ,” said St. Joseph’s Prep coach William “Speedy” Morris, who recruited and coached Overton at LaSalle. “He was like another coach out there. He was always thinking on the court. He knew what he had to do and he knew how to make the players out there with him, better.”
    After college, Overton went on to spend 11 years in the National Basketball Association with eight different teams, including his hometown Sixers.

“I’m incorporating everything that I’ve learned over the years,” he said. “I’m ready to work hard, and I know it will be a challenge. I’m looking forward to making my mark in this program.”

A true student of the game, Overton has paid his dues. He was an assistant coach with stops at St. Joseph’s University and the Brooklyn Nets. Two years ago, he got his first shot at being a head coach with the Springfield Armor, a NBA Developmental League team in Massachusetts that was initially affiliated with the Nets until 2014.

“I learned some things,” said Overton, who guided the Armor to a 21-29 mark before he became a game analyst for Comcast. “I was able to see what it took to be a head coach. There are a lot of things that go into coaching a team. It’s not simple. I believe I did a good job. It was a learning experience that I believe prepared me for being [at Lincoln].

In his first season in the Northern Division, Overton is one of two new head coaches in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA), whose members are historically Black colleges and universities. He has assembled an impressive corp of assistants: Jon Howell Clark, a former assistant coach at Rutgers-Camden University; Dorian Long, a former director of basketball operations at James Madison University; Gene Lett Jr., a former graduate of Cheyney University; and A.J. English, a former All-American at Virginia Union University who played with Overton on the then-Washington Bullets.

The rookie CIAA head coach is going to need their help. In a preseason poll, the Lions, who are coming off a 9-20 campaign in 2015, are picked to finish last in the division.

“That’s fine with me,” said Overton. “It’s good that no one is expecting much from us. We’re going to surprise some people, I’m sure of it. I know the group that I have. I’m confident in them. We’re going to come together as a team.”

The Lions have some talent. Senior forward Josh Davis returns. He averaged a team-leading 12. 1 points and 7.1 rebounds a game. The Lions also have a 6-10 transfer from Manhattan College in Carlton Allen to accompany Carl Lane, a 6-foot-9 junior college transfer from Southeastern Community College in Burlington, Iowa

Next year, the Lions are expecting Deaquan Williams, a 6-foot-6 forward from Camden High in New Jersey. Williams recently committed to Overton and the Lions and should complement the lineup.

http://www.phillytrib.com/sports/i-m...form=hootsuite

Camden's Williams goes from novice to basketball recruit

Updated: OCTOBER 28, 2016
    by Phil Anastasia, Staff Writer @PhilAnastasia

When Deaquan Williams was a freshman, he could "take 10 shots under the basket and miss nine of them," according to Camden High School coach John Valore.
    Williams said he might have been worse than that.

"Coach Valore used to say I couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time," Williams said with a smile.

Now a springy 6-foot-6 senior, Williams has developed into a force at both ends of the court for one of South Jersey's premier programs. He is a rim protector on defense, sure-handed rebounder in traffic and surprisingly effective finisher on offense.

Earlier this week, Williams committed to attend Lincoln University on a basketball scholarship - an event he admits would have seemed far-fetched as recently as the end of his sophomore season.

"I wouldn't have believed it could happen," Williams said. "I didn't even start to take basketball seriously until after my sophomore year."
    Lincoln University is located in Oxford, Chester County. The Lions' basketball team is a NCAA Division 2 program that competes in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association with programs such as Virginia State and Winston-Salem State.

At Lincoln, Williams will play for head coach Doug Overton, a former La Salle star and NBA player.

In a recent fall league game at Paul VI, Williams helped Camden to a victory over Pennsauken with several blocks, rebounds and put-backs. He even made a jumper from the top of the key.

Valore said Williams "no question" is one of the most improved players in the coach's 40 seasons at the varsity level.
    "He's come so far it's unbelievable," Valore said.

Williams traces much of his improvement over the last year to his play with Team Final, an elite AAU program based in Philadelphia and run by former Camden star Aaron Burt.

Team Final competes in the Nike EYBL - the highest level of AAU basketball for high school players - and features athletes on its roster such as Neumann-Goretti senior power forward Dhamir Cosby-Roundtree, a Villanova recruit, and Westtown School junior swingman Cameron Reddish, who has offers from Kentucky and Duke.

St. Augustine Prep senior swingman Justyn Mutts, a High Point recruit, was another of Williams' teammates on Team Final.

"I improved so much playing for that team," Williams said. "Just travelling around the country, playing against those kinds of players in practice, I couldn't help but get better."

Burt, a special-education teacher in the Cherry Hill district, marvels at Williams' development.

"This is a kid that two years ago, I wasn't even sure he liked basketball," Burt said. "He couldn't make a layup. He wasn't even sure how to catch the ball.
    "But he put the time in the gym. He got better. And you could see his confidence grow just from the competition he was facing in our practices and when he would get in our games."

Williams said he never played organized basketball before his eighth-grade year at Creative Arts Academy in Camden's Morgan Village section.

He was a reserve on the freshman team and a reserve on the junior varsity as a sophomore, although his ability to run, jump, block shots and rebound was beginning to catch the coaches' eyes by the end of that season.

"When [Camden] lost in the state final my sophomore year, I said to myself that I had to get serious," Williams said. "I wanted to help us get a ring."
    Williams bounced off the bench last season for a Camden team that made the state final again and lost again.

He believes his improvement as well as the continued development of returning starters such as senior John Evans and juniors Myles Thompson and Corey Greer could mean the end of Camden's search for that elusive 12th state title in program history.

Williams also said Camden will get an added boost this season from the knowledge that the Panthers' historic gymnasium will be torn down along with the rest of the building after the school year to make way for a new facility.

"It's going to be the last everything in that gym," Williams said. "We have to get a state title for that last season in there."

panastasia@phillynews.com

@PhilAnastasia
    www.philly.com/jerseysidesports

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...l_recruit.html

Looking forward to the opening of the season with Mansfield and California Pa this weekend. Watching VSU play 3 exhibition games against D1 schools and the only thing that's negative that I came away with was the free throw shooting. It is absolutely horrendous. They barely shot 50% as a team. VSU played Duke fairly well (-31pts), played horribly against Old Dominion (shot 19% from the field) and beat Norfolk State in 2OT. All games the free throw shooting was really really bad. I'm concerned in tight games that may be the downfall if they don't shore that up. The defense is really good and the new transfer Granberry is really good. VSU plays 12 players so fatigue will not be a problem. If they can hit atleast 70% of their FT's or more, they will be a force in and out of conference. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the CIAA and Atlantic region has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by kjb0615 View Post
    Looking forward to the opening of the season with Mansfield and California Pa this weekend. Watching VSU play 3 exhibition games against D1 schools and the only thing that's negative that I came away with was the free throw shooting. It is absolutely horrendous. They barely shot 50% as a team. VSU played Duke fairly well (-31pts), played horribly against Old Dominion (shot 19% from the field) and beat Norfolk State in 2OT. All games the free throw shooting was really really bad. I'm concerned in tight games that may be the downfall if they don't shore that up. The defense is really good and the new transfer Granberry is really good. VSU plays 12 players so fatigue will not be a problem. If they can hit atleast 70% of their FT's or more, they will be a force in and out of conference. I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the CIAA and Atlantic region has to offer.
    I think the CIAA North will be the tougher of the two divisions. The Trojans are the defending Conference champions, Bowie always come up tough and Lincoln has size to go with speed, but we don't know how long it will take to gel? Chowan and Elizabeth City State always field steady consistent teams.

I think the CIAA North will be the tougher of the two divisions. The Trojans are the defending Conference champions, Bowie always come up tough and Lincoln has size to go with speed, but we don't know how long it will take to gel? Chowan and Elizabeth City State always field steady consistent teams.
    I agree. I think the CIAA North will be tough. VUU is rumored to be better this season as well. I'm thinking WSSU, FSU and Livingston will be very competitive as well. I'm hoping the CIAA as a conference does well with the OOC part of the schedule this year.

VSU defeated CAL U 78-53. The 3 exhibition games against D1 teams really helped. The frontcourt pretty much did anything they wanted to do against a team with comparable size and talent. I see VSU defeating Mansfield tomorrow by a minimum of 20 pts.
    St. Aug defeated Mansfield 66-60. Both teams played a very sloppy game. St. Aug has some really good guards and decent size in the back court. I think they will do ok in the CIAA. Then again, it's early in the season so time will tell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast