Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Detroit, Mich.
    Posts
    291
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    22

    Default UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Not sure how I feel about this. UIndy struggles with attendance, but moving a home game to where the Pacers play? And why do the women's team have to tag along?
    http://athletics.uindy.edu/news/2016...se-jan-16.aspx

  2. #2

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Maybe they can have our former women's head coach Constantine Popa toss up the first jump ball. Willey fired him for no good reason after last season. She wanted a female in the job and got rid of a great guy in Coach Popa.

  3. Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    The G-MAC did this in Cleveland. Wesleyan ladies enjoyed very much.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Evansville, Ind.
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
    Maybe they can have our former women's head coach Constantine Popa toss up the first jump ball. Willey fired him for no good reason after last season. She wanted a female in the job and got rid of a great guy in Coach Popa.
    lol! This is very funny! UIndy playing in a 16,000 seat arena, with about 300 fans on hand to watch! Someone at UIndy was not thinking very clearly, you gave up a home game against a GLVC rival, all to play in front of 15,000 empty seats? Please don't criticize USI for anything in the future, Grady the Greyhound! lol!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Evansville, Ind.
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    I wonder if they will honor UIndy's 1997 team that choked in the first game of the regional tournament at Nicoson Hall, it's the 20 year anniversary? lol!

  6. #6

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPride View Post
    I wonder if they will honor UIndy's 1997 team that choked in the first game of the regional tournament at Nicoson Hall, it's the 20 year anniversary? lol!
    Maybe they can honor HoTWoDs first tourney team that included two all Americans who flopped first rd to a roster full of white flatfoots. A common theme for the WoD i.e. UE , Lebanon HS. LoL!!!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPride View Post
    I wonder if they will honor UIndy's 1997 team that choked in the first game of the regional tournament at Nicoson Hall, it's the 20 year anniversary? lol!
    Not funny. That 1997 UIndy team was 100 times better than USI will ever be again. At least we hosted a regional. USI will never host one again. USI might never make a regional again unless they fire Watson.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Evansville, Ind.
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
    Not funny. That 1997 UIndy team was 100 times better than USI will ever be again. At least we hosted a regional. USI will never host one again. USI might never make a regional again unless they fire Watson.
    You might be correct on all counts. I did not say USI will host a regional again. I'm just optimistic that we will earn a berth this season. And I needed to bring up the failed attempt by UIndy in 1997 to counter the USI bashing you have done. If I offended you with my playful remarks about UIndy playing in in NBA arena, I apologize. But you were the one who started this thread and even questioned it yourself!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denton County, TX
    Posts
    10,875
    Rep Power
    172231

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this. UIndy struggles with attendance, but moving a home game to where the Pacers play? And why do the women's team have to tag along?
    http://athletics.uindy.edu/news/2016...se-jan-16.aspx
    Personally, if there was a double-header opponent for UIndy that would've been a better fit for the Fieldhouse, it would be either USI or Bellarmine. No offense to SJC, but I'd suspect that Bellarmine and/or USI (particularly Bellarmine) would be a much bigger draw than the Pumas. And, after what I saw at the 2015 Elite Eight in Evansville, I get a sense that Bellarmine fans would travel to Mars in droves if the Knights were playing there.

    It's also worth noting that the games will be played after a Pacers game, so you might get some fans sticking around (maybe a couple thousand, if you're lucky), but who's going to want to stick around after an NBA game for D2 hoops? It will be interesting so see how it turns out, though...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Evansville, Ind.
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Personally, if there was a double-header opponent for UIndy that would've been a better fit for the Fieldhouse, it would be either USI or Bellarmine. No offense to SJC, but I'd suspect that Bellarmine and/or USI (particularly Bellarmine) would be a much bigger draw than the Pumas. And, after what I saw at the 2015 Elite Eight in Evansville, I get a sense that Bellarmine fans would travel to Mars in droves if the Knights were playing there.

    It's also worth noting that the games will be played after a Pacers game, so you might get some fans sticking around (maybe a couple thousand, if you're lucky), but who's going to want to stick around after an NBA game for D2 hoops? It will be interesting so see how it turns out, though...
    I have to agree with you, scheduling a game with St. Joe's in an NBA arena is not a way to draw fans. St. Joe's fan base has dwindled to almost nothing when USI plays up there.

  11. #11

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    I wouldn't schedule BU or USI in that game if I were Indy because it would eliminate the home court advantage. They can beat St. Joe without it.

  12. #12

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    I wouldn't schedule BU or USI in that game if I were Indy because it would eliminate the home court advantage. They can beat St. Joe without it.
    I'll go one step farther, I would not give up any GLVC home game to play in a empty NBA arena. UIndy has a great home in Nicoson Hall, why play games in this NBA place? It will not help recruiting, might hurt it if high schoolers see a lot of empty seats.

  13. #13

    Default Re: UIndy to meet St. Joseph's in NBA arena

    Quote Originally Posted by UIndyGradyGreyhound View Post
    I'll go one step farther, I would not give up any GLVC home game to play in a empty NBA arena. UIndy has a great home in Nicoson Hall, why play games in this NBA place? It will not help recruiting, might hurt it if high schoolers see a lot of empty seats.
    empty seats wait til USI-Carbondale plays the non Kdub game at Ford Pinto center. except for parents family, a few blue hairs, and a few with blinders on no one cares about USI in evansville anymore. UE better product by far now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •