Page 169 of 172 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 3427

Thread: Iup basketball

  1. #3361

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Our buddy Brandon Spain is coaching down at Harford and has a dandy on his team. Guard Jaedon Willis.

    He'd look real good in the KCAC. Just sayin'

    Three years eligibility. Millersville has offered. First team all MD-JUCO as a true freshman.

  2. #3362

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Our buddy Brandon Spain is coaching down at Harford and has a dandy on his team. Guard Jaedon Willis.

    He'd look real good in the KCAC. Just sayin'

    Three years eligibility. Millersville has offered. First team all MD-JUCO as a true freshman.
    From his Harford profile: "Brother Darrius Heyward-Bey plays in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brother Anthony plays football for Northeastern." Genes aren't too shabby.

  3. #3363

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    For what it's worth, it seems like this IUP men's team is always banged up in some form or another. Cobo's knees, Dante's everything, Greg Bearer's hand...I noticed watching Sunday's PSAC final on TV, grad assistant Eric Matheson even had a cast on his hand.

  4. #3364

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    For what it's worth, it seems like this IUP men's team is always banged up in some form or another. Cobo's knees, Dante's everything, Greg Bearer's hand...I noticed watching Sunday's PSAC final on TV, grad assistant Eric Matheson even had a cast on his hand.
    Not totally uncommon. Figure they've been playing since October. That's a lot of wear and tear. I'd think the majority of teams have issues right now.

    Dante is a grinder. For all the bigger he is he plays pretty fearless and doesn't shy away from contact. Four years in the West will toughen anybody up pretty good. He's played through one injury after another for four years. Armoni playing at the level he has without practicing for the past month is incredible. I thought Cobo looked 100% better Sunday against Mercyhurst than he did against West Chester. Of course, I think WCU's plan was to eliminate him on the offensive end and they really sold out on him.

    West Chester played IUP completely different from the first meeting. The game back in December they completely sold out on defending the deep shot. This second game they sold out on the post. That's the hardest thing playing against IUP. Sell out on one and the other will kill you.

    As for the grad assistant, I'd assume they've been using everybody to form a scout team with so many not practicing. The former Auburn star and assistant coach Allen Payne has probably been lighting them up in practice, too.

  5. #3365

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    From his Harford profile: "Brother Darrius Heyward-Bey plays in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brother Anthony plays football for Northeastern." Genes aren't too shabby.
    He's a nice player and the three years is a nice item, too. Joe has two slots left for next year. I'm not sure he'll take another guard (figure they'll have KJ Rhodes, Armoni, Bryce Radford, Malik and Anthony White).

    They definitely need at least one more post player. As of now they'll have Ethan Porterfield, Humphries, Ulrich and Dom Keyes.

  6. Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by hawks16 View Post
    From his Harford profile: "Brother Darrius Heyward-Bey plays in the NFL for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Brother Anthony plays football for Northeastern." Genes aren't too shabby.
    That would be highly debatable there. More like eats up a roster spot year after year. Yoi and Double Yoi!

    -

  7. Default Re: Iup basketball

    For any fans lurking out there and on the bubble of whether to go or not to the IUP men's region tourney this weekend----I would highly encourage you to go. There is nothing quite like the experience of attending a region. And these things do not come around all that often.

    I recall the IUP teams hosting three of them in the past decade and a half or so.

    2002- Unforgetable experience as Gary Edwards and Dennis Mims led IUP to the region title and advanced to the Elite Eight in Evanston, Indiana where they would make the Final Four. Who will ever forget Aaron Faulkner leaping atop the scores table in celebration?

    2008- The IUP women hosted the tourney and unfortunately lost in the opening round in the infamous Mount Olive affair.

    2010- Joe Lombardi and company beat West Liberty to cut down the nets. The Field House was absolutely electric that night.

    These things are really unique and you should not miss the chance to get out to experience one if you enjoy the sport of basketball. No matter what happens you will remember this stuff the rest of your life.

    -

  8. #3368

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    The Aaron Faulkner moment is one of the best 'moments' I've seen at IUP. Perhaps I'm a little biased as that was my senior year.

    That team was just nasty. Mimms scared people from 100' away.

  9. #3369
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    22497

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The Aaron Faulkner moment is one of the best 'moments' I've seen at IUP. Perhaps I'm a little biased as that was my senior year.

    That team was just nasty. Mimms scared people from 100' away.
    What a great team that was. Eric Castorino was crazy aggressive all over the court too.

  10. #3370

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Speaking of that era, Gary Edward's Francis Marion team made the Big Dance and will play Augusta this Saturday.

  11. #3371
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    22497

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Speaking of that era, Gary Edward's Francis Marion team made the Big Dance and will play Augusta this Saturday.
    Gary Edwards is a better version of Kevin Reynolds! hahahaha

  12. #3372

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    For any fans lurking out there and on the bubble of whether to go or not to the IUP men's region tourney this weekend----I would highly encourage you to go. There is nothing quite like the experience of attending a region. And these things do not come around all that often.

    I recall the IUP teams hosting three of them in the past decade and a half or so.

    2002- Unforgetable experience as Gary Edwards and Dennis Mims led IUP to the region title and advanced to the Elite Eight in Evanston, Indiana where they would make the Final Four. Who will ever forget Aaron Faulkner leaping atop the scores table in celebration?

    2008- The IUP women hosted the tourney and unfortunately lost in the opening round in the infamous Mount Olive affair.

    2010- Joe Lombardi and company beat West Liberty to cut down the nets. The Field House was absolutely electric that night.

    These things are really unique and you should not miss the chance to get out to experience one if you enjoy the sport of basketball. No matter what happens you will remember this stuff the rest of your life.

    -
    Agree - watching your team play in the NCAAs at home is a privilege that you should take advantage of.

  13. #3373

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    Gary Edwards is a better version of Kevin Reynolds! hahahaha
    No doubt, but he was (is) a good coach -- and a good person.

  14. Default Re: Iup basketball

    Just a few blasts from the past on the women's side---

    Happy Mount Olive Day! It was eleven years ago that the IUP women squandered the number one seed in the final East Region Tourney and lost to eighth-seeded Mount Olive. It is still hard to believe that it happened. It also marked coach Cindy Martin's swan song at IUP.

    It was ten years ago this evening that the unquestioned greatest IUP women's player EVER, Jahzinga Tracey, played her final game for the Lady Crimson Hawks. IUP lost to Gannon in OT in the second round of the Atlantic Region.

    -

  15. #3375

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Just a few blasts from the past on the women's side---

    Happy Mount Olive Day! It was eleven years ago that the IUP women squandered the number one seed in the final East Region Tourney and lost to eighth-seeded Mount Olive. It is still hard to believe that it happened. It also marked coach Cindy Martin's swan song at IUP.

    It was ten years ago this evening that the unquestioned greatest IUP women's player EVER, Jahzinga Tracey, played her final game for the Lady Crimson Hawks. IUP lost to Gannon in OT in the second round of the Atlantic Region.

    -
    Molly Carr won the GOAT vote on WCCS.

  16. Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Molly Carr won the GOAT vote on WCCS.
    Get real! Granted that Carr was before my time following the program. She was a part of that '99 team that went to the Elite Eight. She's a local-type person that I used to see at games all the time. None of these other IUP WBB players past or present would even be in the same category as Z. Not even close!

    WCCS is a lame azz station anyhow. LOL.

    -

  17. #3377

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Great article in the Gazette today. It finally tells the story of how they found Cobo.

  18. Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Same here. If I were single I’d do it in a heartbeat. But if I’m going to leave the wife all alone to deal with a 2 year old all day, watching basketball won’t cut it as a reason, unfortunately.
    Try out excuses from blue brothers movie, where belushi pleads for his life for leaving Carrie Fisher at the altar. It’s the regionals for crying out loud. Creative excuses are in order. :-)

    Elephants got loose from the circus and blocked the highway?
    ( hall of fame drummer Benny Benjamin on why he was late for Motown studio A session - from standing in the shadows of Motown movie documentary. Bennie didn’t even drive!)

    Lol

  19. Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Try out excuses from blue brothers movie, where belushi pleads for his life for leaving Carrie Fisher at the altar. It’s the regionals for crying out loud. Creative excuses are in order. :-)

    Elephants got loose from the circus and blocked the highway?
    ( hall of fame drummer Benny Benjamin on why he was late for Motown studio A session - from standing in the shadows of Motown movie documentary. Bennie didn’t even drive!)

    Lol
    Lol. My wife is a high school teacher, she’s heard it all. I’d crack seconds into her interrogation.

  20. #3380
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Erie, PA
    Posts
    4,451
    Rep Power
    22497

    Default Re: Iup basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Lol. My wife is a high school teacher, she’s heard it all. I’d crack seconds into her interrogation.
    I am a middle school teacher and I use all the excuses, etc. hahahaha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •