Page 136 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 2821

Thread: Iup basketball

Contribute to D2

Default Re: Iup basketball

Let's not forget boys... they played horrific and still had numerous chances to win. This team will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Lol ... true that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Luckily the one likely for all the marbles is at the KCAC.

SRU really played well together to get out to the big lead. They shared the ball and got good shots right out of the gate. They also picked the right matchups defensively. I was here in person and both teams were dead tired for the last 5-7 minutes. The length of time IUP had to stay in the press took a toll. It would have been good to be the fresher team at that point.

Dante was 1-14 with 4 or 5 turnovers which ended up being the difference in the game. Sometimes they don’t fall.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP24 View Post
    Was gonna mention that you could tell Bearer was missing today. Thought you could feel it more today than the other night.

I posted a couple minutes ago that they had chances. They did. There was a long stretch from 3 minutes where it was a one point game. They missed multiple shots and took multiple poor shots. They had their opportunity to win that game despite it all.

And your bench lost by 18 points. Dante TO @ 29 sec. hurt a lot. Still a 2 score game at that point

Quote Originally Posted by IUPTrackMan View Post
    SRU really played well together to get out to the big lead. They shared the ball and got good shots right out of the gate. They also picked the right matchups defensively. I was here in person and both teams were dead tired for the last 5-7 minutes. The length of time IUP had to stay in the press took a toll. It would have been good to be the fresher team at that point.

Dante was 1-14 with 4 or 5 turnovers which ended up being the difference in the game. Sometimes they don’t fall.
    You're forgetting the poor free throw shooting. That made a huge difference also.

One game. It's done. Sun rises tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    One game. It's done. Sun rises tomorrow.
    You sure? I haven't seen the sun here for weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    You sure? I haven't seen the sun here for weeks!
    Erie. Lol.

Sometimes, you start passing around the time you reach 1-7.

Quote Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
    Sometimes, you start passing around the time you reach 1-7.
    Sometimes you need benched, too. Just sayin'

I’ll reiterate something I mentioned on the PSAC West thread 3 1/2 weeks ago. I go to a lot of games at the Rock because it’s so convenient for me. I’ve been very impressed with the outstanding work Ian Grady is doing. He’s developed great game plans, his “in game” play calling and player rotations have been very effective, he’s provided opportunities to some true freshman and they have responded. He has performed like a seasoned HC.

He is actually coaching, instructing and not benching players for every little mistake like Reynolds did. KR created such a negative environment with his players it’s really beyond belief that the Rock won as much as they did under Reynolds. He certainly was a good coach, but if he were still coaching today I don’t think the Rock would have a better record.

The other thing that is impressive about Grady is that he doesn’t have an Ian Grady as an assistant (a D2 player with 10 years exp as a D2 asst). Grady’s top assistant is a 2nd year grad assistant who was a student manager for 2 years. His coaching bio doesn’t even list playing experience from HS. If he played anywhere, it’s not listed.

Despite Grady’s good fortune so far, the second time through the PSAC West will not be a cakewalk. Teams will be much more prepared to face the Rock and I’d be very surprised if SRU leaves the KCAC with a win, but anything’s possible.

However, under the circumstances, being short staffed and the most inexperienced coach in the league, he’s really overachieving. Even if he ends up losing 5 or 6 league games, what he has done will still be very impressive.

In the end I think this loss will be very valuable to Joe and the team and allow them to look deeper into the contributing factors to the loss and make some valuable adjustments going forward.

3) Dante's shooting whoa's continue...Really. Way to show off that IUP degree
    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 01-13-2019 at 09:37 AM.

I’ll reiterate something I mentioned on the PSAC West thread 3 1/2 weeks ago. I go to a lot of games at the Rock because it’s so convenient for me. I’ve been very impressed with the outstanding work Ian Grady is doing. He’s developed great game plans, his “in game” play calling and player rotations have been very effective, he’s provided opportunities to some true freshman and they have responded. He has performed like a seasoned HC.

He is actually coaching, instructing and not benching players for every little mistake like Reynolds did. KR created such a negative environment with his players it’s really beyond belief that the Rock won as much as they did under Reynolds. He certainly was a good coach, but if he were still coaching today I don’t think the Rock would have a better record.

The other thing that is impressive about Grady is that he doesn’t have an Ian Grady as an assistant (a D2 player with 10 years exp as a D2 asst). Grady’s top assistant is a 2nd year grad assistant who was a student manager for 2 years. His coaching bio doesn’t even list playing experience from HS. If he played anywhere, it’s not listed.

Despite Grady’s good fortune so far, the second time through the PSAC West will not be a cakewalk. Teams will be much more prepared to face the Rock and I’d be very surprised if SRU leaves the KCAC with a win, but anything’s possible.

However, under the circumstances, being short staffed and the most inexperienced coach in the league, he’s really overachieving. Even if he ends up losing 5 or 6 league games, what he has done will still be very impressive.

In the end I think this loss will be very valuable to Joe and the team and allow them to look deeper into the contributing factors to the loss and make some valuable adjustments going forward.

You’re eventually going to lose. You don’t go undefeated in a college basketball season. Too many games. Too many opportunities for the wrong combination of things to happen. I will say though, I think they needed that. Sometimes it is important to end a long streak and get a new one going.

For a college team, nobody can tell me that they aren’t thinking about staying undefeated every night. Now they lost and are in 2nd in their own division. So let this be a, “let’s take a deep breath and refocus” type of moment.

It’s important for them to get on the other side of this East Stroud game. They just look a little exasperated to me. I think they’re ready to play a couple teams that don’t have a pulse. If Dante is going to come out of this, it’s going to start there.

Everybody said going into this 3 game stretch that they needed to go 2-1. That’s in front of them. Do it and set yourself up for the second turn of the schedule.

Not that this matters, and I know it doesn’t, but we’ll see how ridiculous the polls are in D2 athletics. They’ll fall out of the Top 10. If they were a Division 1 team that lost that game on the road with their resume of wins they would slide back to 5 or 6. It’s just the way it goes when there’s no knowledge or coverage of anything nationally. You get destroyed for any loss. And before anybody comments about this not meaning anything, I know it doesn’t as I stated above. I’m just thinking out loud.

14. Default Re: Iup basketball

Brandwijk, Diaz and Miller had the games expected of them or better. Every other player did not hold up his end, not just Lombardi. Losing at SRU (led by an All American) by 5 is not cause for any serious concern. IUP is good but no way are they going undefeated through the PSAC. I thought Mercyhurst would get them, and they almost did. It was inevitable. Mentally, the SRU loss was a “get it out your system and over with loss.” IUP is still going to win the west hands down, barring an injury to Diaz.

Not that this matters, and I know it doesn’t, but we’ll see how ridiculous the polls are in D2 athletics. They’ll fall out of the Top 10. If they were a Division 1 team that lost that game on the road with their resume of wins they would slide back to 5 or 6. It’s just the way it goes when there’s no knowledge or coverage of anything nationally. You get destroyed for any loss. And before anybody comments about this not meaning anything, I know it doesn’t as I stated above. I’m just thinking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Nova Southeastern lost this week, too. They were one spot behind IUP.

16. Default Re: Iup basketball

They might stay put at #3. Rough week for the rest of the Top 10. I believe Nos. 3,4,5,6,8,9 and 10 all lost last week.

17. Default Re: Iup basketball

Quote Originally Posted by IUPalum View Post
    You're forgetting the poor free throw shooting. That made a huge difference also.
    Down five late, Malik missed the first two of three free throws. IUP had every opportunity down the stretch and Slippery Rock wasn't exactly putting the game away on the other end. When IUP made its run to get back in it in the second half, it was neat to hear an IUP chant break out -- pretty loudly -- at Morrow.

I was waiting to watch the replay of the game before posting my comments. That said, here goes:

* It's even worse to watch the second time.

* Ian Grady was the best coach in Morrow yesterday. For one day anyway he took Joe to school. SRU was more focused, poised, excited and tuned in.

* The first, call it 23 minutes -- but, especially the first 12 minutes, was some of the worst defense IUP has ever played under Joe Lombardi. Slow. Lazy. Soft. Out of position. Lack of effort. Blown assignments. Tired. Soft. Sums it up pretty well.

* Much like at Mercyhurst, it took IUP far to long to adjust to a team launching three-pointers at them. Joe loves the theory that teams will cool off. And, SRU did. But, they put in some heavy damage.

* The absolute one thing you cannot do against Slippery Rock is let them set the pace. IUP failed miserably.

* SRU's game plan was obvious: strangle and agitate Dante Lombardi. Mission accomplished. Why he was still in the game at the end of the first half is anybody's guess. Probably, because there's nobody else to insert. Now, this is what, the fourth straight game the objective has been to suffocate him. That strategy isn't going away. It's on film now and it's well-known he can be agitated fairly easily. With the guard situation, do you now make the move and Armoni becomes the starting PG? It may be time. Move Dante to the SG role. His technical foul before the half was one of the more boneheaded plays I've seen in years -- and it came back to haunt them. Big time. A senior PG can't fall in to these traps. He's going to get hammered on the road. This isn't an opinion anymore. Any opposing coach worth anything would go right after him. Frazzle the crap out of him. Obviously when his head is in the gutter IUP is a much different (worse) team.

* Greg Bearer's injury is a big problem. Perhaps way bigger than originally thought by most. Now, the team is back to the end of last season. Three guards. The other two on the bench, Anthony White and Drew Dansecs, aren't allowed to touch the ball. That has to change. Personally, I think White is more ready of the two.

* IUP showed a lot of grit coming back. They got down as many as 16 in the second half and it appeared a few times SRU was going to run them out of the building. When IUP could finally set the pace, the game changed.

* The final 2 minutes was a comedy of errors for IUP. Three different times they had the chance to tie or take the lead. All three were disasters. No idea why timeouts weren't used. They can't be saved for next season. Malik missing 2 of 3 FTs was fitting for the day. Dante falling or tripping or slipping or who-really-cares falling and turning the ball over also fit the narrative well. Then there's the played call to Willem with a minute to go and down two points. Trifecta complete. Another great thing SRU did that wasn't mentioned on this thread is they went hack-a-shaq on Willem yesterday. It's hard to hide his FT percentage.

* IUP hit 4 of 20 shots from deep. That wasn't just shooting bad as some like to say. SRU did all they could to take away those shots.

* Willem on Micah Till was a bad match-up. Assuming the theory is Till could land Cobo in foul trouble. Who knows.

* Marko needs to play more. A lot more. He's good and brings a level of offense to the floor Willem cannot. I'd actually be interested in seeing a big lineup. It would preserve a guard for stretches and not run Malik, Dante and Armoni ragged. It would also cause a match-up problem for the opponent.

* I don't think SRU can win in the KCAC. It was their day yesterday and they still almost lost. IUP isn't going to play that bad again this year. Add the KCAC crowd to it and SRU will struggle.

* Fun fact: Till and Dom Keyes were JUCO teammates. IUP didn't recruit Till. Keyes has been around two years now and hasn't played a second for IUP.

* Another fun fact: IUP lost to an interim coach and a team with half its scholarship money. That one actually isn't very fun.

* Shame to waste Cobo's effort yesterday. I think that was the best game of his career (29 and 15).

That one has to be put to bed pretty quickly. It happens. We knew a loss was coming. Nobody goes undefeated. It just can't linger. A real tough road trip looms in 72 hours. Total opposite. Rock wanted to slow down. East Stroudsburg wants to speed up.

Maybe just once IUP can control the pace? Nah, ... what fun would that be.

Said my peace. On to the next one. No titles are won in mid-Jan. Regroup.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-13-2019 at 05:03 PM.

The good news is hopefully the team got the worst game of its season out of its system.

The bad news is they have yet another really tough opponent waiting for them -- one that's had a week to prepare, too.

IUP travels to East Stroudsburg for a big game Wednesday night.

A year ago, the Warriors won in Indiana, 85-82, on their way to a Region title and Elite 8 appearance. As you'll recall, IUP committed 28 turnovers that night and shot just 27 percent from outside. A big rebounding advantage kept the Hawks close before falling short.

It was an incredibly odd game.

The Warriors currently sit with a record of 10-4 (7-1 PSAC). They have lost two of their past 3 games (defeats: 89-72 at Saint Rose, 76-70 at Shippensburg). Their last time out was a 83-65 win against Lock Haven. ESU is a perfect 5-0 at home this season.

As usual, they play a lot of guys. In all, 11 players play at least 8 minutes per game. They run a relentless press, which will cause IUP some problems with a now short bench.

General season stats for ESU:

3PT: 32%
    FT: 70%
    FG: 46%
    PPG: 83 (give up 73)
    Turnovers: Committed 231 and forced 309
    Rebounds: 344 for and 357 against

Their scoring is actually up in the second half, likely as they wear teams out.

Losses: Saint Augustine's, Shaw, Saint Rose, Shippensburg
    Best wins: Slippery Rock, Mercyhurst

Top players:

(Sr) Josh Williams (15.9 ppg, 10 rpg, 20 blocks)
    (Sr) Nick Giordano (12.8 ppg, 31-91 treys)
    (Sr) Jakwan Jones (12.8 ppg, 82 assists, 43 steals)
    Ryan Smith (12.5 ppg, 7 rpg)

From there, they have a slew of guys averaging from 3 to 7.5 ppg. They are firing up about 23 treys a game - making about 7.5 per game. They aren't a great team at the line (70.3%) but neither is IUP.

Based on what we saw the IUP press did to discombobulate Slippery Rock, it's little wonder the Warriors caused them a lot of issues.

Total opposite style from this past Saturday. I actually think IUP is built more to play against ESU than SRU. ESU is going to force turnovers. It just can't be anywhere near the 28 it forced on IUP last year.

If IUP wants to keep the thought of hosting the Regional in their heads, well, this best be looked upon as a playoff game. ESU's top players have played in a lot of big games in their careers.

20. Default Re: Iup basketball

It is really hard to NOT have at least one night where everyone is "off" in their game during the season.
    It was West Liberty's turn against Tiffin - getting only .8 points per possession instead of their average of 1.26.
    The difference was that Tiffin was a much weaker opponent than SRU, so we lucked out with a victory.

I will be surprised if you don't win out and host the region. You are clearly the strongest team in the region and could go deep in the tourney.