Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSAC

Default PSAC

Our favorite JUCO program had quite a bit of activity on Verbal Commits today.

10/4/2016 - Mercyhurst 2015 SG Dwight Whitlock (6-3, 205, 2★) will be transferring to Slippery Rock.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock 2012 PG T.J. Jones (6-1, 165, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock 2012 SG Juwan Strothers (6-2, 180, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock 2013 PG Dalton Cesarz (6-1, 165, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO PG Cory Soanes (6-1, 175, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO SG Tyler Scott (6-6, 202, 2.5★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock 2012 SG Maxx Rynd (6-2, 185, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO PF Debonair Edwards (6-8, 236, 2★) left the team for personal reasons.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO SF Guilherme Verardo (6-6, 200, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO PF Amir Maddred (6-8, 230, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock 2016 PG Jahkebo Joseph (6-0, -, 2★) committed to another school.

10/4/2016 - Slippery Rock JUCO SG David DeLeon (6-2, 190, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

- See more at: http://www.verbalcommits.com/confere....B7Y95hF2.dpuf

Default Re: PSAC

yikes...that's a bit more turnover than usual. Actually it's an overhaul. ...Reynolds usually does a good job of holding them together but this may be his greatest challenge...

Now let's connect the dots with all those new faces..There's at least 6 or 7 players from Philly, Camden , Eastern PA...Has to be the new asst coach at SRU, who coached at ESU and is a part of Hoop Group, and has strong Eastern PA / NJ ties...See his bio:
    Shiffert also works as a coach and administrator for the prestigious Hoop Group, and is a regular participant at the Elite and Top 100 camps throughout the east coast. The Nazareth, Pennsylvania native graduated from ESU in 2015 with a bachelor's degree in communications with a concentration in speech.

The roster on their website lists 4 seniors, 9 juniors and a sophomore...How many of those 9 juniors will be around for their senior year...2, 3 or 4?
    Last edited by IUP Extra Mile; 10-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.

He's a good coach. They won't be good for the opener at Wheeling but he'll have them playing much better by January. By February his team's are always very difficult to play.

Call it the downside of starting over every year.

Football gets all the love up there. How he's done what he has with very little financial resources is actually pretty remarkable.

It was nice to see Mike Beckles get inducted in to the IUP Hall of Fame over the weekend. When we discuss IUP's top players from the past on here his name rarely gets mentioned for whatever reason. It should. He was a force on some very good teams (his teams won two Regionals including the later which did so with a six (sometimes 7) man rotation. He joined point guard Wes Layton from that era. I think there are a few more to make a case for from those years.

From IUP:

IUP Athletic Hall of Fame

Mike Makinde-BecklesClass of 2001

Induction Class of 2016
    Men's Basketball

Basketball requires its best players to display both a logical and strategic approach to the geometry and physics of the game, along with flashes of creative brilliance that can provide the thrilling difference in a successful season.

Makinde-Beckles, as an IUP student and forward on the men’s basketball team from 1996 through 2001, proved this to be true. He was named the PSAC Player of the Year in 2000, along with earning a place on the second team All-American squad. During his IUP career, he averaged 18 points a game, with 9.7 rebounds, shooting 64 percent from the field and making 50 percent of his shots from the three-point line.

A 1996 graduate of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School in East Elmhurst, NY, Makinde-Beckles earned a bachelor of science degree in business management from IUP in 2001, and a master’s degree in special education from Touro College in 2008.

Makinde-Beckles works at the New York City Department of Education as a special education teacher. He lives Brooklyn, NY, with his wife, Salisha, and child, Remy.

5. Default Re: PSAC

Sounds like Reynolds had better hire himself some Hessians!

Former Boro player Quinn Le Yaw appears to have surfaced at St. Bonaventure (per VC).

I liked him as a player. He was a hot head but got under-utilized by Edinboro last year.

Rock roster posted ...

14 players
    14 transfers (12 JUCO)

Reynolds has become The Godfather of JUCO recruiting.

Make no mistake ... they'll be a good team by January. He brought in some big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Rock roster posted ...

14 players
    14 transfers (12 JUCO)

Reynolds has become The Godfather of JUCO recruiting.

Make no mistake ... they'll be a good team by January. He brought in some big boys.
    That's amazing! If I'm right, there are only TWO player back from last seasons team...Nyquil Jones and Bone Marrow.

Look like coach loves him some Marshaltown CC Iowa...Brought in FIVE players from there which was all but one of their graduating sophmores! Looks like they were a pretty low scoring squad last year.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 10-13-2016 at 02:15 PM.

That's correct.

Somehow he whips them into a good team as it rolls along ... year after year.

You won't see him winning any Regionals like this but he keeps the program highly competitive within the PSAC. They play a very hard-nosed, tough, slow style. He baits Joe in to playing that style once a year.

I know his budget is less than half of IUP, Cal, SH, Gannon and Mercyhurst. He has the equivalent of just under 5 scholarships to spread out over the roster. Football is king up there. He's made basketball relevant -- like him or not.

I still think he should have went after the Cal job. He can obviously recruit talent (and find it in obscure places). Imagine what he could have done with Cal's resources and facilities. I know factually, however, he did not apply down there.

Trevor Blondin is not listed on the Seton Hill roster.

Wow. That's a big loss for the Griffins. I had him pegged as a First Team All-West guy this year.

Anybody know where he landed?

11. Default Re: PSAC

Trevor Blondin is not listed on the Seton Hill roster.

Wow. That's a big loss for the Griffins. I had him pegged as a First Team All-West guy this year.

Anybody know where he landed?
    Was told he is ineligible this year and will return next year. He's essentially redshirting.

The Cal men's roster is still showing just six players. Things got real secretive down in the Mon.

The Cal men's roster is still showing just six players. Things got real secretive down in the Mon.
    Check again. It's finally been updated today.

VC posted some Mon Valley news:

10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2015 SF Jacob Thibodeau (6-5, 205, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2016 PG Ramon Creighton (6-1, 215, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2016 PG Jordan Gessner (6-0, 160, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2014 PG Rashawn Browne (6-1, 170, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2014 SG Jason Capco (6-4, 195, 2★) will be transferring.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) JUCO SF Ro Teckle (6-7, 205, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) 2013 SF Jameal Tucker (6-6, 200, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.
    10/21/2016 - California (PA) JUCO SF Mike Stevenson (6-5, 200, 2★) has enrolled in school and been added to the official team roster.

PSAC Preseason Polls and First-Team Selections announced:

http://www.psacsports.org/news/2016/...027163219.aspx

Thanks for pointing out, ICH.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-27-2016 at 03:49 PM.

17. Default Re: PSAC

PSAC Preseason Polls and First-Team Selections announced:

http://www.psacsports.org/news/2016/...027163219.aspx

Thanks for pointing out, ICH.
    Hmmm.. can't really disagree with those East rankings. I'd have considered putting Bloom lower as they lost some guys from last year but that's about it for "complaints." I'll leave the West rankings be since I just don't know enough about the West division to offer a good opinion.

Ugh. The Cal men picked to finish 9th out of 9. Pretty much makes me want to hurl after reading that. Can't remember EVER seeing Cal in a ranking like that preseason, but that's what they've become thanks to Brown hanging on too many years. I and the other Cal faithful have much to be thankful for this year. I have a good feeling about what's going to be the beginning of something much sweeter in our men's basketball. The women's team?...Oh, they'll take care of business! 

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
    Hmmm.. can't really disagree with those East rankings. I'd have considered putting Bloom lower as they lost some guys from last year but that's about it for "complaints." I'll leave the West rankings be since I just don't know enough about the West division to offer a good opinion.
    Who did Bloom lose that would have made a difference?

PSAC Men’s Basketball West Preseason Poll

IUP (5)
    Mercyhurst (3)
    Pitt-Johnstown (1)
    Gannon
    Edinboro
    Seton Hill
    Slippery Rock
    Clarion
    California

I was a little surprised (a little) to see Mercy voted ahead of UPJ. The Lakers lost a good bit of production. But, like we see year after year, Gary Manchel is an expert at reloading -- and quickly doing it. So, the Top 3 was pretty predictable.

IUP will get heavily discussed on here throughout the year so I'll kind of skip them today. Cobo Diaz being voted First Team was 'kind of' surprising -- given the fact he may be the Sixth Man for IUP this season.

Gannon being voted fourth was a shock. Perhaps if the LeMoyne Trio was still in Erie but there are just far too many new players who must quickly learn to forget everything they've ever learned about basketball and be taught the Gannon system -- the land where scorers and up-tempo players go to die. Slippery Rock will end up in the fourth spot when it's all said and done.

Edinboro will likely be very one-dimensional (as opposed to being too two-dimensional a year ago). Mayson will get his 30 points a night but will also fire off about 40 shots a game. Quinn Lee Yaw transferring out was a big loss for the Scots. The mid-pack selection will probably prove pretty accurate. There will be no secret to playing Edinboro. Mayson will routinely draw the best defender. Somebody else will have to emerge or he'll get suffocated.

Seton Hill really got hurt losing Trevor Blondin for the season. Someone else mentioned he's ineligible. That's a season-changer for the Griffins.

Clarion and Cal rightfully round it out. I thought B.J. Andrews on the Preseason First Team was quite a stretch. Marcess Williams is a very, very good coach. Recruiting quality players up to the mountains isn't an easy task. They lost some key players to graduation.

The hardest part with D2 Preseason Polls is just the unknown factor. There are so many new faces in the West this year. Is one of them a true game-changer ... we'll find out soon enough. How do you seriously make any guess to how Slippery Rock will be when, literally, 12 of the 14 players listed are new to the program. As it's proven every year, Reynolds will be .500 on Christmas Eve ... and a terror the rest of the way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast