Page 101 of 102 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102 LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2040

Thread: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

  1. #2001

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Also I realize the G or F label WL lists their players but I have always looked at it as numbers, 1-5, because when you go back and pick up your man generally you are picking up some one in the 1-5 range wherever the player falls. For example you can list Moore as an F but if he is the tallest guy on the floor, or the most equipped to guard the post then he is picking up the other teams 5. Make sense?

    Also I see 1-2 combo guys, 2-3 guys and 3-4 guys and WL has a lot of them. I see 1-3 guarding 1-3 and the 4-5 guys guarding 4-5 guys. WL can press all they want with good results against most teams in regards to turnovers and creating the quick shots and pace they want. However there are always a few teams every year that the press does not impact like the other teams and they have to be equipped to match up well in the half court defensively and on the boards. Rebounding can be misleading. If the pace of the game is very high tempo and of the 10 players on the court, only 8 of them are running the court at max effort and 5 of them are WL guys, then there is a good chance WL, is gonna out rebound the other team. If it is more of a half court game when all 10 players are engaged and on the same end of the court what are the rebounding numbers then? I don’t have any idea just a thought.

  2. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtybird View Post
    Also I realize the G or F label WL lists their players but I have always looked at it as numbers, 1-5, because when you go back and pick up your man generally you are picking up some one in the 1-5 range wherever the player falls. For example you can list Moore as an F but if he is the tallest guy on the floor, or the most equipped to guard the post then he is picking up the other teams 5. Make sense?

    Also I see 1-2 combo guys, 2-3 guys and 3-4 guys and WL has a lot of them. I see 1-3 guarding 1-3 and the 4-5 guys guarding 4-5 guys. WL can press all they want with good results against most teams in regards to turnovers and creating the quick shots and pace they want. However there are always a few teams every year that the press does not impact like the other teams and they have to be equipped to match up well in the half court defensively and on the boards. Rebounding can be misleading. If the pace of the game is very high tempo and of the 10 players on the court, only 8 of them are running the court at max effort and 5 of them are WL guys, then there is a good chance WL, is gonna out rebound the other team. If it is more of a half court game when all 10 players are engaged and on the same end of the court what are the rebounding numbers then? I don’t have any idea just a thought.
    Very interesting and valid point. Need to think about how to estimate it. Fast breaks occur frequently after steals. Maybe look at games where wl got relatively few steals and the turnover margin was low. Then look at offensive rebounding margin?

    Just a thought.

    Past wl teams had much higher turnover margins but were not nearly as good at offensive rebounding. So that makes an argument for this team being much improved. From watching games I thought Bolon, Yoakum were very aggressive in crashing the board on a shot.

  3. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    If yoakum puts on 15lbs of muscle he will be a matchup nightmare when paired with Bolon and Boswell. Can’t double all of them. I could see a different player exploding for 30+ points on a given night. The opponent has to pick their poison.

    I have been amazed at those I thought were career role player stepped up their game for their senior season. I will always wonder what would have been if French had not had two devastating knee injuries. Best shooter I have seen in a long time.
    I agree with this. I could see all 3 around 20 a game.

  4. #2004
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upper Frog Hollow, WV
    Posts
    1,765
    Rep Power
    1056

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    I think Fairmont is going to pick up Travion Horton, the Fairmont Sr. all-state guard that walked on WV last year and saw some action there. I believe he was the player of the year in WV in 2017. Good pickup for them and he will probably replace Jolly.

  5. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Looks like Collins to Marshall as a walk on. Pretty sure he’s not on scholarship at least but I can’t confirm

  6. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    Looks like Collins to Marshall as a walk on. Pretty sure he’s not on scholarship at least but I can’t confirm
    There are 13 non walkons on the MU roster. So I would tend to agree that he is a walk on is a reasonable guess.
    Good luck to him. Hope he hits the weights hard.

    Oct 28, 2018 MU 113 glenville 108
    Nov 17, 2018 West Liberty 158 glenville 106
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-08-2019 at 11:35 PM.

  7. #2007
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    There are 13 non walkons on the MU roster. So I would tend to agree that he is a walk on is a reasonable guess.
    Good luck to him. Hope he hits the weights hard.

    Oct 28, 2018 MU 113 glenville 108
    Nov 17, 2018 West Liberty 158 glenville 106
    Prediction...He will redshirt next year, get minimal playing time the following year and then be in the transfer portal the following year. Doesn't look like Marshal favors big SG's so he will probably be in the SF grouping. He will have three scholarship SF ahead of him and two scholarship SF's in this years incoming class.

    I further predict his AAU Team and the on-line "scouting services" will tout him as further proof that they are experts at developing or identifying D1 players. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already trumpeting him as a "success" for them!!
    Last edited by boatcapt; 05-09-2019 at 07:48 AM.

  8. #2008
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upper Frog Hollow, WV
    Posts
    1,765
    Rep Power
    1056

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    A Chapmanville poster on another high school forum posted that he was a walk-on at Marshall. I think he would have been a good addition to West Liberty. Guess it's next man up!

  9. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Prediction...He will redshirt next year, get minimal playing time the following year and then be in the transfer portal the following year. Doesn't look like Marshal favors big SG's so he will probably be in the SF grouping. He will have three scholarship SF ahead of him and two scholarship SF's in this years incoming class.

    I further predict his AAU Team and the on-line "scouting services" will tout him as further proof that they are experts at developing or identifying D1 players. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't already trumpeting him as a "success" for them!!
    Well said. They did a good job of selling the d1 dream!
    Hopefully as a walk on they won’t guide him toward a “basketball eligibility” major so they can have practice bodies.

  10. #2010

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Well said. They did a good job of selling the d1 dream!
    Hopefully as a walk on they won’t guide him toward a “basketball eligibility” major so they can have practice bodies.
    You can still practice if you're academically ineligible.

    Easy on The Herd ... that's my second alma mater.

  11. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You can still practice if you're academically ineligible.

    Easy on The Herd ... that's my second alma mater.
    Nothing against the herd. Many d1 schools have special “majors” for their athletes that facilitate the time demands of d1 sports and reduce the risk of flunking out.

  12. #2012
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Nothing against the herd. Many d1 schools have special “majors” for their athletes that facilitate the time demands of d1 sports and reduce the risk of flunking out.
    Another of the dirty little secrets of D1 athletics. This guy obviously graduated with one of these "player friendly" degrees:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGT08DTk3NM

    His broadcasting career got "debacled!"

  13. #2013

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball


  14. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    FYI May 4
    Keegan Saben transferring to Thomas More in naia. See a bright future if he improves shot mechanics for more arc and more rotation.

  15. #2015
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    FYI May 4
    Keegan Saben transferring to Thomas More in naia. See a bright future if he improves shot mechanics for more arc and more rotation.
    Hahahaha...If he was willing or able to do that at WLU he would have also had a bright future with out the need to transfer down to NAIA!!!!

  16. #2016

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Hahahaha...If he was willing or able to do that at WLU he would have also had a bright future with out the need to transfer down to NAIA!!!!
    Where's Yahel ?

  17. #2017
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Where's Yahel ?
    That's a good question. Don't seem to be a lot of takers for him.

  18. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by boatcapt View Post
    Hahahaha...If he was willing or able to do that at WLU he would have also had a bright future with out the need to transfer down to NAIA!!!!
    Lol good point. Some player don’t Connect physics to
    shooting a basketball. They just think that more practice is all they need.
    In fact they need to get proper technique first and then reinforce it with practice.
    Bad technique limits upper bound for shooting %.

  19. #2019
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    13,105
    Rep Power
    308570

    Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Lol good point. Some player don’t Connect physics to
    shooting a basketball. They just think that more practice is all they need.
    In fact they need to get proper technique first and then reinforce it with practice.
    Bad technique limits upper bound for shooting %.
    Can't help but think there is a little heard headedness in it. Clearly Ben and Saben's former teammates know how to coach and shoot jumpers and the importance of arc, etc. on the ability to shoot. I would Saben was coached on the need to correct his shooting flaws. Fact that he hasn't made any changes says to me that he is a bit stubborn and believes he knows better.

  20. Default Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •