Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 618

Thread: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

  1. #581
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Contribute to D2
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    AB improved to 6-6 in conference play with their 78-57 win over D&E today.
    Go Battlers!

  2. #582
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    AB defeats Ohio Valley, 02-16-19.

    Image
    Go Battlers!

  3. #583

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    BTW - was watching a show called Pine Gap on Netflix the other night. AB and Philippi are both mentioned. Main character is from Philippi.

  4. #584

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    JDonAB92, you okay? No posts in over 2 months - during basketball season. Hope all is well.

  5. #585
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Central WV
    Posts
    2,353
    Rep Power
    991

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    JDonAB92, you okay? No posts in over 2 months - during basketball season. Hope all is well.
    He’s busy coaching HS hoops. His team has made the playoffs. :)

  6. #586

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    He’s busy coaching HS hoops. His team has made the playoffs. :)
    Thanks ABjo. Good to hear.

  7. #587

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by ABjo View Post
    He’s busy coaching HS hoops. His team has made the playoffs. :)
    Congrats to a class guy.

  8. #588
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlood View Post
    BTW - was watching a show called Pine Gap on Netflix the other night. AB and Philippi are both mentioned. Main character is from Philippi.
    Cool, thanks for the info.
    Go Battlers!

  9. #589
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Last edited by crixus; 03-06-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    Go Battlers!

  10. #590
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Alderson Broaddus rallied to beat Kentucky Wesleyan yesterday.

    https://gobattlers.com/news/2019/2/2...gQEitUDmATR-dA
    Go Battlers!

  11. #591
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    There's only two Alderson Broaddus Men's Basketball home games left to play.

    Thursday Feb. 28 vs Tuffin @ 7:30 & Saturday March 2nd vs Cedarville @ 4:00.
    Last edited by crixus; 02-27-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Go Battlers!

  12. #592
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Men's tournament starts tonight. Playing at Findlay doesn't give a lot of hope. Not much to talk about on the season. We did end it with a nice win over a program trending upward....Cedarville. I would say that was our best win on the season...maybe Hillsdale. The freshmen like Shriver, Golphin and Walker have promise. Another academic casualty this year in Simmons which really hurt. That is becoming a trend that is not good. Campbell and Polanco aren't bad and could be good next year with Bocook. There were some tough injuries this season that slowed progress (Davis and Bocook both out for significant time). There were still some bad losses late. It looks like it will be Zimmerman's first losing season in 18 seasons at the helm of Alderson Broaddus. It can turn around pretty quick with what we return, but we need some quality recruits next year to fill voids. I don't know if Bruce Spruell is still up there as he was sitting out this season. He would really help at a position of need. He would really team well with Campbell. We need to add a couple of quality bigs.

    Men's basketball is the least of my concerns at AB. The school had done well under new leadership. There have been some quality accolades going on up there under President Barry. The physician assistant's all scoring perfect on their test scores is just one of many lately. But I have a lot of concerns with the athletic department. We are simply not competitive in most sports. It is getting bad, in my opinion, to say the least. Women's basketball needs two more recruiting classes to get a honest evaluation. He inherited little basketball talent. Men's basketball, men's soccer and football are okay. Football really needs to step above .500 next year. The recruits they landed over here are good, ie Naieem Watson (South Hagerstown HS). A lot returning in football.

    My question is: how can things be fixed when our athletic director is out in Salt Lake City until the end of April.

    I am not much into neologism...but I guess in May, it will be Denny-cadabra. Will he return to a department that finishes last in the G-MAC commissioner cup standings? Will we be able to beat out Ursuline, a program with no men's sports, for that honor? Spring sports are all off to a bad start. What is the issue? I was in strong disagreement with that decision to allow him to coach semi-pro football. That was absolute non-sense. I have had with that guy.

    I hear the travel costs are a lot. But we can't join the MEC with Denny-cadabra in charge. He is hated over there among many. I don't think President Barry realizes that. I think what Malone did to its' student-athletes in football is pretty pathetic. Bring them back for second semester to get that FIFSA money, and then drop the news in early February that "hey, we won't have football next season". Pretty bad move. Do that move after the season has concluded and give the football players a chance to transfer and play spring ball somewhere else.

    With that said, the G-MAC is down to 8 football schools. That is 7 conference football games and leaves a tough 4 OOC games to fill. I don't think Mr Daeger is going to wait around another year for invites....at least he shouldn't. Does he offer Notre Dame and Urbana slots? I don't have that answer. The MEC is already losing big-boy Shepherd and UVA-Wise. Davis & Elkins does not help them there, although Frostburg is an excellent addition. The big question is what happens to the G-MAC and expansion at this point. I would not ask this had Malone not dropped football. But this moves the timeline on expansion a bit, I think. I say this because Lake Erie has had rumors of dropping football on their campus. They were hardly competitive last year. I think Mr Daeger will be pro-active and has started expansion a little sooner. Geographically we belong in the MEC. It is not a slap at the G-MAC. But half the MEC is within 2 hours and 15 minutes of our campus. But if things are shaking down, is Denny-cadabra on top of things? Bodkins is fine. But I really hope that AB has utilized JD Long to the MEC leadership. He is incredibly well-respected with their conference leadership and with many of the ADs and coaches in that conference.

  13. #593

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Good to hear from you JDon. I missed reading your posts!

  14. #594
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Thanks.

    AB was 7-2 versus the bottom half of the league this year (and those two losses were very costly) and 2-9 against the top half of the teams. That defines the season right there.

    We finished tied with Malone for 7th seed. Had we not lost at Trevecca (awful loss) or lost at home to Tiffin (even worse) near end the year, we would have won 7th seed outright. The Cedarville win was encouraging. This is still not where we would want to be. This will be a key year for recruiting. We have to have the right fits at the school.

    The success of most athletic teams has gone down since the decision to remove JD Long as athletic director and hire Denny Creehan. Of course, Creehan's brother, Rick Creehan, hired his brother to be head football coach and athletic director. It was both of their nonsense that led to the dissolving of the WVIAC. It is a time to look at things within the athletic department to rectify these shortcomings. I see No Vision. That is a problem. Of course, JD was brought back as an associate athletic director as well as a professor. I might add that JD's peers in the G-MAC awarded him conference professor of the year a few years back. I find that interesting and very telling. The guy has a pulse for AB and many of his hires led to coaches that led us to the NCAA bids, ie Zimmerman, McGinnis, etc. He also hired two quality baseball coaches that paved the way for latter success, including runner up twice in the WVIAC tournament. I feel it is hard to rectify some shortcomings in the department when you are out in Salt Lake City for five or six months doing what you want to do and not is best for the school or department you are in charge of.

    I will continue to bark up this tree as this is the school I hold a degree from and have supported for a long time in multiple ways.

    Here is the school's release on the quite impressive academic work of our physician assistant majors:

    https://twitter.com/ABU1871/status/1095068796065382406

  15. #595
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Congrats to Findlay. Much better than us. They will be tough to beat up there this week if they shoot like that. I thought some of our freshmen did pretty decent tonight and so did Campbell from the 2/3 of the game I watched. It shows we need post recruits. I would really like to see us offer some good high school post players and develop them like we did Kline. I know we have an offer out on a 6'7" kid.

  16. #596

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by JDonAB92 View Post
    Men's tournament starts tonight. Playing at Findlay doesn't give a lot of hope. Not much to talk about on the season. We did end it with a nice win over a program trending upward....Cedarville. I would say that was our best win on the season...maybe Hillsdale. The freshmen like Shriver, Golphin and Walker have promise. Another academic casualty this year in Simmons which really hurt. That is becoming a trend that is not good. Campbell and Polanco aren't bad and could be good next year with Bocook. There were some tough injuries this season that slowed progress (Davis and Bocook both out for significant time). There were still some bad losses late. It looks like it will be Zimmerman's first losing season in 18 seasons at the helm of Alderson Broaddus. It can turn around pretty quick with what we return, but we need some quality recruits next year to fill voids. I don't know if Bruce Spruell is still up there as he was sitting out this season. He would really help at a position of need. He would really team well with Campbell. We need to add a couple of quality bigs.

    Men's basketball is the least of my concerns at AB. The school had done well under new leadership. There have been some quality accolades going on up there under President Barry. The physician assistant's all scoring perfect on their test scores is just one of many lately. But I have a lot of concerns with the athletic department. We are simply not competitive in most sports. It is getting bad, in my opinion, to say the least. Women's basketball needs two more recruiting classes to get a honest evaluation. He inherited little basketball talent. Men's basketball, men's soccer and football are okay. Football really needs to step above .500 next year. The recruits they landed over here are good, ie Naieem Watson (South Hagerstown HS). A lot returning in football.

    My question is: how can things be fixed when our athletic director is out in Salt Lake City until the end of April.

    I am not much into neologism...but I guess in May, it will be Denny-cadabra. Will he return to a department that finishes last in the G-MAC commissioner cup standings? Will we be able to beat out Ursuline, a program with no men's sports, for that honor? Spring sports are all off to a bad start. What is the issue? I was in strong disagreement with that decision to allow him to coach semi-pro football. That was absolute non-sense. I have had with that guy.

    I hear the travel costs are a lot. But we can't join the MEC with Denny-cadabra in charge. He is hated over there among many. I don't think President Barry realizes that. I think what Malone did to its' student-athletes in football is pretty pathetic. Bring them back for second semester to get that FIFSA money, and then drop the news in early February that "hey, we won't have football next season". Pretty bad move. Do that move after the season has concluded and give the football players a chance to transfer and play spring ball somewhere else.

    With that said, the G-MAC is down to 8 football schools. That is 7 conference football games and leaves a tough 4 OOC games to fill. I don't think Mr Daeger is going to wait around another year for invites....at least he shouldn't. Does he offer Notre Dame and Urbana slots? I don't have that answer. The MEC is already losing big-boy Shepherd and UVA-Wise. Davis & Elkins does not help them there, although Frostburg is an excellent addition. The big question is what happens to the G-MAC and expansion at this point. I would not ask this had Malone not dropped football. But this moves the timeline on expansion a bit, I think. I say this because Lake Erie has had rumors of dropping football on their campus. They were hardly competitive last year. I think Mr Daeger will be pro-active and has started expansion a little sooner. Geographically we belong in the MEC. It is not a slap at the G-MAC. But half the MEC is within 2 hours and 15 minutes of our campus. But if things are shaking down, is Denny-cadabra on top of things? Bodkins is fine. But I really hope that AB has utilized JD Long to the MEC leadership. He is incredibly well-respected with their conference leadership and with many of the ADs and coaches in that conference.
    My biggest hope is that the current member schools are aware of some sort of plan that Mr. Daeger has for expansion. Of course you can only plan if there are schools that actually want to move to the GMAC. If nothing is in the works by next year some schools will have more than wandering eyes they will be ready to pack it up and move on.

  17. #597
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    3132

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Alderson Broaddus men's basketball (13-16) team dropped an 88-62 decision to host and top-seeded Findlay Tuesday night in the First Round of the GMAC Basketball Tournament.
    Last edited by crixus; 03-06-2019 at 04:57 AM.
    Go Battlers!

  18. #598

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    My biggest hope is that the current member schools are aware of some sort of plan that Mr. Daeger has for expansion. Of course you can only plan if there are schools that actually want to move to the GMAC. If nothing is in the works by next year some schools will have more than wandering eyes they will be ready to pack it up and move on.
    There are a few of us on here that have been following the conference since before the conference had a name or a commissioner. As one of those folks, I've been very impressed with Daeger to date. He has made a lot of good moves to get the conference to where it is. Some of the early moves were necessary merely to assure survival, but more recently his moves have focused on advancement and stability. This guy was initially dealt a hand many would have folded. I wouldn't bet against him.

  19. #599
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    I think Mr. Daeger is very good. I am 100% sure he has a plan and I am sure he is sharing that with each school's president and athletic director. It is just greediness on my part that I wish I knew of those plans. I guess we will have to speculate until May or June. Just my opinion, but I believe that Malone dropping football may have sped up the expansion plans. Maybe not. I am not sure of this, but most conferences have president and AD meetings during the week of their basketball tournaments. Not sure if G-MAC does this, but it is an ideal time when most can meet in a particular venue at once.

  20. #600
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    2,272
    Rep Power
    1740

    Default Re: Alderson Broaddus Basketball

    Wow, breaking news on Wheeling Jesuit:

    https://wtov9.com/news/local/wheelin...ncial-exigency

    This all after a big contribution last year from the diocese. This is not a good situation for Wheeling Jesuit. Financial exigency is about as bad as it gets. They may have to go D3 or drop a bunch of sports.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •