Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4686929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1937

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblot View Post
    I don't see the OVC being interested in a D2 school right now. They seem to be happy with their current 12. There were rumors about them inviting NKU and North Alabama back in 2011 when both were still D2, but they'd just added Belmont to reach 12 and decided to stand pat.

If the OVC wanted another non-football school, I'd have to think their first call would be Lipscomb.
    They don’t need or want another Nashville school. They have four in the media market now. USI brings facilities, more support than a Lipscomb, and a new media market where they have had record success for their tourney despite no team there.

Quote Originally Posted by kdubnation View Post
    And yet, NKU hasn't come within a sniff of any ACTUAL national success other than "played in NCAA tournament" in their bread and butter sport of MBB. It's shocking to hear USI fans actually saying it would be great to be "competitive" in a second tier minor D1 conference. Getting to the final 4 sure did a number on you guys.
    It's really not just the final 4 that's driving this. It's the fact that every year it seems another top team leaves and another weak team enters and that's just not exciting as a fan. Also, USI and BU are on an island in D2 with very few nearby teams. With a brand new state-of-the-art facility coupled with the support we just saw from the community, I just think that USI could easily outdraw UE's attendance on a regular basis and play some big name schools, even if it takes another decade to become relevant. There will always be a transition period, but I feel like having the D1 label will also attract better players (given the right coaching staff). As big of a school as we are, there's no reason we couldn't be competitive in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by schnautza View Post
    It's really not just the final 4 that's driving this. It's the fact that every year it seems another top team leaves and another weak team enters and that's just not exciting as a fan. Also, USI and BU are on an island in D2 with very few nearby teams. With a brand new state-of-the-art facility coupled with the support we just saw from the community, I just think that USI could easily outdraw UE's attendance on a regular basis and play some big name schools, even if it takes another decade to become relevant. There will always be a transition period, but I feel like having the D1 label will also attract better players (given the right coaching staff). As big of a school as we are, there's no reason we couldn't be competitive in a short time.
    City leaders will quietly discourage. Evansville Theatre will be on life support athletically and the Betty will lose a prime tenant.

4. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Building a state of the art arena and playing in a conference that only has a small handful of attractive opponents is the only number being played. If Bellarmine goes that leaves Indy as the only close proximity rival in the conference. Play in a half empty 4,800 seat arena against McKendree or have the chance to see a Murray a Belmont, in addition to many potential D I regional schools in the area? Choice is rather easy.....

And yet, NKU hasn't come within a sniff of any ACTUAL national success other than "played in NCAA tournament" in their bread and butter sport of MBB. It's shocking to hear USI fans actually saying it would be great to be "competitive" in a second tier minor D1 conference. Getting to the final 4 sure did a number on you guys.

5. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I agree, losing touch with reality. I say, good for BU. This will ultimately give USI a much better opportunity in the future towards postseason success with BU out of the way.

Ok, my two cents worth. I have stated many times that I am emphatically against the D1 "upgrade." I will admit that has always been a selfish feeling because I rather see the MBB contending for national championships every year than just hoping they get to the big dance to get clobbered in the first round. Part of my feeling has also been that I don't think D1 is good for the school. It is too expensive and it turns what has been a good symbiotic relationship with UofL into a more adversary one. I thought recent financial issues would negate this impulse to move to D1, but it is becoming clear that the school thinks going D1 will actually be a financial gain. I don't buy it and still prefer staying D2. If travel is a big issue, then work on getting in GMAC and getting some KY schools to move up from NAIA.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    Ok, my two cents worth. I have stated many times that I am emphatically against the D1 "upgrade." I will admit that has always been a selfish feeling because I rather see the MBB contending for national championships every year than just hoping they get to the big dance to get clobbered in the first round. Part of my feeling has also been that I don't think D1 is good for the school. It is too expensive and it turns what has been a good symbiotic relationship with UofL into a more adversary one. I thought recent financial issues would negate this impulse to move to D1, but it is becoming clear that the school thinks going D1 will actually be a financial gain. I don't buy it and still prefer staying D2. If travel is a big issue, then work on getting in GMAC and getting some KY schools to move up from NAIA.
    Yeah, we'd love to have you in the GMAC.

Quote Originally Posted by bkingbroker View Post
    ... playing in a conference that only has a small handful of attractive opponents ... or have the chance to see a Murray a Belmont, in addition to many potential D I regional schools in the area? Choice is rather easy.....
    Amen. In addition to hopefully being financially beneficial.

BU commit Drew Comer (Greensburg, IN) has been selected to play in the Indiana North/South All-Star Classic:
    https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/...4e58aa9ce.html

As expected, Drew Comer has signed a NLI:
    https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/new...asketball.aspx

The technical against Lewis at home on Senior night cost BU a chance to host, the constant berating of officials has to stop.
    Keeps Coach from coaching the team. Do you ever see a D1 coach act like Scotty on the sidelines? He is a great coach but not in close games, gets way too emotional. Can anybody on this board explain the substation pattern against USI they were not deep at all and BU did not use its bench like they did all year.

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    As expected, Drew Comer has signed a NLI:
    https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/new...asketball.aspx
    Recruits always look good when you sign them, but this year's group is very impressive. The thing that stands out is that they all are flat out winners. Alec Pfriem's undefeated Moeller team won back to back state titles in the big school divison of Ohio. He was their team leader and probably best player. That is really impressive.

Just happened to see where BU grad John MacLeod, the well-known former NBA coach, has passed away:
    https://abc7chicago.com/sports/macle...at-81/5250202/

14. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    I totally agree with you on this. I sure don’t want to take the excitement away from being in contention to win championships every year. How would this affect recruiting? Would Scotty have to go after different types of players to compete? I don’t want to see that happen either. I’m not against change but I sure like who we are now and what we represent.

Meh. The GLVC is not what it used to be, and I think it is going to get less interesting over the years.

Rather than try to find another D-II conference and compete for "national championships" (i.e., proving you're the 150th or so best in college hoops), I'd like to see a move up to the highest level, especially if the ultimate destination (after, say, a few years in the A-Sun) is a really good fit like the OVC or even the Horizon League.

Thinking about next season, there are many questions to be answered about playing time. Ultimately these questions will get answered and we are going to like the answers. The team may be as talented as any Scotty has had, but the big concern to me is ball handling and leadership. We have the makings of a powerful front court, but they lack basketball savy. The starting front court looks like Pal, Cook, Weyer but this is by no means certain. I believe that Penn has got to be getting a bunch of minutes and he may be the best option as a 3. As starters I could see Fleming (1), Penny (2), Penn(3), Cook (4) and Weyer (5) as the best line up. Frankly, this line up would have considerably more scoring punch than this past season's starting line up. Pal is still largely an unknown. Younker may be good for a few minutes, but he will still be a red shirt freshman and Scotty may be content to let him do his learning in practice. I am fascinated by the freshmen and red-shirt freshmen. It looks to me that Scotty has probably changed his mind about the use of the red-shirt. With Tipton, Pfriem, Bash, and Comer he has 4 freshmen with very similar skill sets, all playing the same "position" in a positionless system (throw sophomore Penn into the same mix). It would appear that at least two of the new comers will be red shirting.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Thinking about next season, there are many questions to be answered about playing time. Ultimately these questions will get answered and we are going to like the answers. The team may be as talented as any Scotty has had, but the big concern to me is ball handling and leadership. We have the makings of a powerful front court, but they lack basketball savy. The starting front court looks like Pal, Cook, Weyer but this is by no means certain. I believe that Penn has got to be getting a bunch of minutes and he may be the best option as a 3. As starters I could see Fleming (1), Penny (2), Penn(3), Cook (4) and Weyer (5) as the best line up. Frankly, this line up would have considerably more scoring punch than this past season's starting line up. Pal is still largely an unknown. Younker may be good for a few minutes, but he will still be a red shirt freshman and Scotty may be content to let him do his learning in practice. I am fascinated by the freshmen and red-shirt freshmen. It looks to me that Scotty has probably changed his mind about the use of the red-shirt. With Tipton, Pfriem, Bash, and Comer he has 4 freshmen with very similar skill sets, all playing the same "position" in a positionless system (throw sophomore Penn into the same mix). It would appear that at least two of the new comers will be red shirting.
    I agree with 4 of your 5 as the starting lineup. I am not sure Penny will get the nod yet. I do think he is the most talented offensive player on the team though. Scotty still loves defense and Penny still has to prove he can play it up to the level of Fleming, Chitty and Penn. I think with Chitty being a senior he will start if they go small. Pal if they go big(unless Pfriem is just all that.)

New, local article on Drew Comer's signing:
    https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/...e04a77a37.html

As for the possible starters next season, I'm still intrigued by Palombizio, but it's hard not to get excited about a lineup of: Fleming, Penny, Penn, Cook, and Weyer.

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    New, local article on Drew Comer's signing:
    https://www.greensburgdailynews.com/...e04a77a37.html

As for the possible starters next season, I'm still intrigued by Palombizio, but it's hard not to get excited about a lineup of: Fleming, Penny, Penn, Cook, and Weyer.
    As for leadership, I think Fleming will be the man. He has the tenacity and will to win. I think he will take that regional loss to heart and strive to win it all. Chitty will provide a lot as well. Neither of those guys can stand losing. Look for Penn to start to make this his team by tournament time. He is special and will be one of the greats by the time he leaves BU.

Jared McCurry, who was a BU star during the otherwise dreadful Charlie Just era and played pro ball for a while overseas, was named Kentucky Boys Coach of the Year:
    https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ar/3484713002/