Page 82 of 93 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1850

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    Unfortunate about Felton Spencer. It seems he had been on medical leave from assistant coaching duties. I kind of chuckled at WDRB 's coverage of the incident because the lead was "Bellarmine Assistant Coach Arrested...". He is a BU assistant coach, but he is an extremely well known person in this town because he was an All American at UofL and long time NBA player. Most people were probably surprised to hear he is an assistant at BU.
    I’d trade lil Brent and WoD for a Felton in a stupor any time.

Two previously undefeated teams, Nova Southeast and USC Aiken, lost last night. That leaves 4 undefeated teams. Two in this region.

Wow, what a total team performance, and a nice crowd to boot.

Among other things, I liked what I saw out of Palombizio during his brief stint, and it's hard not to get very excited about Penn.

Great game. Quincy was worse than expected. Really poor defensively. They did not get back on defense and played a pouris zone.

5. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

As Penn gains confidence its going to be hard to keep him on the bench...what a great problem for a coach to have. Our friends up in Parkside upset Ashland last evening. A great evening for Knight Nation!

Penn is clearly another level athlete. He has the ability to be a truly great defender and scorer. He does not look to be a great shooter, but he doesn't have to be. Penny looks like a scorer as well, and probably a better shooter. I wonder if Penny has bought in to the system 100%?

Palumbizio was a man playing with the boys during mop up time. He looks like more of a traditional 4 than Bellarmine typically has. Both Penn and Pal (is that a magic act?) may be called on to make real contributions in critical moments before the season is over. Sure makes you optimistic about next season as well.

7. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Nice win today at Knights Hall. Truman state played with the Knights most of the first half but like other teams visiting Knights Hall, was unable to sustain it and BU got some separation late in first half. Indiana (PA) lost today so there are only two remaining undefeated D2 teams, BU and NW Mo. State.

8. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Knights didn't look as sharp today, but the depth and talent eventually wore down Truman. The margin of victory was not indicative of the majority of the game. Another superb game from Eberhard. CC's 13 rebounds were huge as well. We've talked about the depth of the team, but what are the realistic expectations for Palombizio this season now that he is not red shirting? He looked solid in bench minutes Thursday but I have a nagging feeling it may be an unproductive use of a season (hoping I am very wrong here!)

Quote Originally Posted by KnightsHoop1 View Post
    We've talked about the depth of the team, but what are the realistic expectations for Palombizio this season now that he is not red shirting? He looked solid in bench minutes Thursday but I have a nagging feeling it may be an unproductive use of a season (hoping I am very wrong here!)
    I thought we might see more of Palombizio today, perhaps some minutes against Truman's big guy McKnight. Since he's not redshirting, I hope to see more of him soon; otherwise, yeah, seems it'd be a waste of a year of eligibility.

On a positive note, solid win on Saturday against a squad that didn't make it easy.

Any BU fans going to the WJC game 1/17 should stick around for the #2 NWMSU @ MWSU game just up the road in St Joseph MO 1/19 @ 7:30 pm. There’s lots to do in the area to kill time. I’m sure there will be some NWMSU fans at the BU @ WJC game.

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    I thought we might see more of Palombizio today, perhaps some minutes against Truman's big guy McKnight.
    I also thought we'd get a dose of Palo on Saturday after it looked like Ramser tweaked an ankle or something (I didn't see exactly what happened); thankfully, Ramser seems okay, though.

Next up William Jewell: Allegedly very good offensive team. The truth is that they are 8-9 but only 4-9 against D2 teams. They have inflated scoring on several teams that frankly are not really college basketball teams. Their scoring against D2 teams is still pretty high, but inflated by 108 points against the only team that is worse than Jewell defensively, M S&T. They did, however, get a one point win over Drury last week. (BTW, Drury spanked the living s#$t out of Lewis over the weekend). Rockhurst on Saturday looks to be the much tougher game. Rockhurst played a bunch of freshman and sophmores last year and they continue to improve as sophomores and juniors.

Not sure where Chris's minutes would come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Knights Hall View Post
    Not sure where Chris's minutes would come from.
    I think we need an all big guy lineup with Adam as PG, Alex at #2, and Chris, CC and Ben at the 3-5. Might have trouble on defense guarding some quick guards but sure would dominate on offense and the boards!

15. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Eberhard once again named on Bevo Francis Award Top 100 Watch List

https://athletics.bellarmine.edu/new...atch-list.aspx

16. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Latest polls are led by the last two unbeatens

http://campus.mst.edu/athleticarchiv...l/d2hoops.html

17. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

FYI
    The latest coverage in the CJ (a result of a new sports editor) gave prominence to the program. From the article: "Davenport calls himself the luckiest man in coaching, though he's a Division II champion who believes deep down that he could win the same way at a Division I program."

That article may be designed to support a study that outside consultants are presenting to the administration about moving to D1 status on March 1.

Quote Originally Posted by #1KnightFan View Post
    FYI
    The latest coverage in the CJ (a result of a new sports editor) gave prominence to the program. From the article: "Davenport calls himself the luckiest man in coaching, though he's a Division II champion who believes deep down that he could win the same way at a Division I program."

That article may be designed to support a study that outside consultants are presenting to the administration about moving to D1 status on March 1.
    I don't really keep up with the newspaper and didn't even know they had a new sports editor, but that was indeed a nice piece last week. I just hope it's not the "token" article for this season (the paper really didn't even cover the two home wins after that big article).

Yes, the article did touch on the D-I issue more than I expected. Thanks for the scoop on the consultant presentation. Is the 3/1 meeting only with administrators (say, those in athletics and maybe the prez) or is it a presentation to the Board of Trustees? If the latter, seems they're particularly serious about a possible move up. The timing is odd, as the university's growth has slowed down a bit when compared to what occurred over the last decade or two, and I hear secondhand that money is a little tight (enrollment, for example, has dropped from around 4,000 to 3,500, and I know there has been some tightening of the proverbial belt). Maybe Joe Clayton (R.I.P.) left the school money to go D-I?

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    I don't really keep up with the newspaper and didn't even know they had a new sports editor, but that was indeed a nice piece last week. I just hope it's not the "token" article for this season (the paper really didn't even cover the two home wins after that big article).

Yes, the article did touch on the D-I issue more than I expected. Thanks for the scoop on the consultant presentation. Is the 3/1 meeting only with administrators (say, those in athletics and maybe the prez) or is it a presentation to the Board of Trustees? If the latter, seems they're particularly serious about a possible move up. The timing is odd, as the university's growth has slowed down a bit when compared to what occurred over the last decade or two, and I hear secondhand that money is a little tight (enrollment, for example, has dropped from around 4,000 to 3,500, and I know there has been some tightening of the proverbial belt). Maybe Joe Clayton (R.I.P.) left the school money to go D-I?
    Yes I have also heard from good sources that money is very tight at the school due to some binge spending during the previous administration (he did wonderful things for the school but might not have been as thrifty as could be.) I think the D1 should be shelved (ok that may have been the umpteenth time I stated I don't want D1!) for that reason alone.

I'm not at all opposed to moving the rest of the sports up to D-I, and frankly am intrigued by the idea, but the timing of this is surprising. If anything, you'd think they would've moved up back when NKU made the jump.
    Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 01-17-2019 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo.