Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748 LastLast

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

BTW, Jarek Coles had a very good game against Jewell. It was the exact kind of game he needs to have from here on out. He doesn't have to score a ton, needs to defend the ball, protect the ball while being agressive, and make open shots when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by BGrad1971 View Post
    Rusty would muscle his way to the rim, Brent uses quickness and agility and really good hands around the rim.
    Exactly plus Bach uses his leaping ability to offset the couple of inches of height

As expected, BU is up to No.2 in the NABC poll. They received 3 first place votes, Queens had 13. Personally, I would vote for NWMSt. as number 1, despite their loss. I don't expect any of the top teams to remain undefeated.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 01-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.

4. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Queens plays Lincoln this weekend. West Liberty eventually has to travel to Wheeling Jesuit and Fairmont State. In the end all that really matters is that BU stay ranked ahead of Findlay and Ferris State.

I'm back to thinking that Indy will be the biggest challenge in the GLVC.
    Arguably Ferris and Findlay have played the toughest parts of their schedules. Findlay may not lose again Ferris may only lose one. Knights are going to have little room for error.

6. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

The USI game Monday worries me, the GLVC did us no favors with USI not playing Saturday and us being on the road at Parkside.

7. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, Scotty will win this game for you, he’s 10X the coach Watson is.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Knight View Post
    The USI game Monday worries me, the GLVC did us no favors with USI not playing Saturday and us being on the road at Parkside.

8. Default

We have 2 games to before that. We can’t afford to look ahead.

It's hard to imagine any more favorable conditions for USI to play Bellarmine at Knights Hall. Can our boys still pull it off? Of course they can, but the situation certainly gives USI a better chance than they would normally have. I have been so impressed with how we played on the road against Jewell and Barry under even more difficult travel arrangements. This does look like the best chance for a team to break the home win streak, but even if that happens, it will not keep us from making a serious run at the Championship.

This team is making a believer of me on the importance of depth. It's not so much protecting us from fatigue as much as the ability to replace a player not having a great night with a guy who is capable of having a great night. Chitty, Fleming, Corbett, and Cook are just as capable of carrying the team for a period of time in a game as anybody who is starting. The reason I know this is that they each have done it at various times this season.

Quote Originally Posted by #1KnightFan View Post
    We have 2 games to before that. We can’t afford to look ahead.
    Agree as to the team. Fans, however, can look ahead without penalty.

P.S. If anybody on the team happens to read this, please ignore.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 01-11-2018 at 10:56 AM.

11. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Wod doesn't have Mohammed, Dewitt or Nelson on this team. Without a big man who can score it makes his offense too easy to guard. Scotty D will bottle up the ball screens with an aggressive hedge and make USI's bigs score, which they won't because they don't look to score. Even if Bellarmine has an off night offensively, they still will beat USI in a slugfest. Personally I don't see this game even being close.

Quote Originally Posted by WestSideMafia View Post
    I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it, Scotty will win this game for you, he’s 10X the coach Watson is.

Quote Originally Posted by bkingbroker View Post
    Wod doesn't have Mohammed, Dewitt or Nelson on this team. Without a big man who can score it makes his offense too easy to guard. Scotty D will bottle up the ball screens with an aggressive hedge and make USI's bigs score, which they won't because they don't look to score. Even if Bellarmine has an off night offensively, they still will beat USI in a slugfest. Personally I don't see this game even being close.
    I would love to agree but just can't. Watson may have lacked the ability to push his teams in the NCAA tournament, but he does have a pretty good record against Scotty in the regular season. His teams usually play the best defense that BU faces in the GLVC. I don't think this team is any different. USI will be tough on the defensive end. Their offense may lack structure, but with Stein, Hansen and Washington they have the ability to put some points up, plus USI almost always beats BU on the offensive boards. The schedule is just enough of a burden to BU, to tip what would be a very close game with BU winning to a close game with USI winning. If I was giving a rating on the game it be BU 52% to USI 48%. Definitely toughest game of year at home for BU.

13. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I hope you are right and would gladly take your odds. But what I saw last week was just bad ball. I am going to say Bellarmine by 15.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    I would love to agree but just can't. Watson may have lacked the ability to push his teams in the NCAA tournament, but he does have a pretty good record against Scotty in the regular season. His teams usually play the best defense that BU faces in the GLVC. I don't think this team is any different. USI will be tough on the defensive end. Their offense may lack structure, but with Stein, Hansen and Washington they have the ability to put some points up, plus USI almost always beats BU on the offensive boards. The schedule is just enough of a burden to BU, to tip what would be a very close game with BU winning to a close game with USI winning. If I was giving a rating on the game it be BU 52% to USI 48%. Definitely toughest game of year at home for BU.

14. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

As bking mentioned we don’t have much inside presence but different from previous years we have picked up outside scoring ability. Again, I think this game will come to how it’s called. If our bigs get in fowl trouble early it will be a no contest as your guards will have a hay day. And who shoots a better percentage from 3. If USI is hot it will be a close game. Personally, I’m also interested in how we start the game, most games we’ve come out playing terrible having to dig ourself out of the hole second half. You can do that against mediocre teams but not against quality teams.

Solid win although many key players did not play well. Lewis played a lot better defense than the game last month. BU had to rely heavily on Bach, Eberhard and Coles even more than usual. Weyerhaeuser and Cook were really not involved. Chittenden was off and had too many turnovers again. Ramser played well though and had a big three to push the lead up towards the end. Frankly the best offense tonight was the defense.

I thought Lewis played well. the Zone defense was extremely effective. I don't understand why they went out of it late in the first half. They were playing the zone loose around the free throw line. We did throw the ball in there, but then were ineffective passing it from that position. Seems to me that both Weyer and Eberhard were passing up makeable shots if they would have just turned and shot the ball. You make a couple of those and the zone gets tighter and creates more open 3 chances. Bellarmine did not play poorly, I give Lewis a lot of credit.

Weyer's play of late is worrisome. Right now CC is playing the best at that position.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 01-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.

17. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Lewis seemed to know that if that pass to the middle of the zone was received and Eberhard or Weyer turn and face the basket they always are looking to pass and not shoot. Seems to me an unmolested jump shot just inside the free throw line is a pretty good one to take.

18. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I agree it seems like sometimes we are unselfish to a fault. For us to win this Weyer and Cook have to contribute offensively both look very hesitan, afraid to make a mistake.

The Augusta Rifle's hometown paper with an update on his stellar play this season:
    http://www.maysville-online.com/spor...5a5f93479.html

20. Default

As I said earlier in the season when the question was posed: Bellarmine is the team that poses the biggest threat to Bellarmine.

We came into the Parkside game overconfident and it showed in the effort displayed the first 30 minutes on the defensive end of the floor. They played virtually no defense until the last 10 minutes. Very little patience on offense. Look at the assist total (10) and turnovers (17), many of which were unforced, trying to force the ball or go one-on-one. Everyone expected Parkside to play zone - they didn't, and it didn't make any difference. Parkside defended Bellarmine better than anyone this year - because we didn't have good spacing or rotate the ball.

All this against a team they handled easily in KH. The worst team in the conference. Bellarmine embarrassed themselves with their play and with the the technicals. This team is only as good as their defense. You can't let a team shoot 58%. Second straight game we allowed a team to shoot better than 50%.
    Last edited by #1KnightFan; 01-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.