Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    That ranking is downright funny. Bellarmine may end up a top 20 team by the end of the season, but unless the freshmen are extremely special players, this is likely to be the least successful BU team in 6 or 7 years. I am not down on the team in general and I am optimistic for the future, but this is going to look more like a rebuilding year.

Actually, this ranking is bad news, it just gives more motivation to our early opponents.
    I agree with you here. I've always been fascinated by how these preseason rankings work at the d2 level. Would have thought our highest ranking would have come late in the season but I'm hoping we are all wrong. Just ready to see a preseason game.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthead View Post
    I agree with you here. I've always been fascinated by how these preseason rankings work at the d2 level. Would have thought our highest ranking would have come late in the season but I'm hoping we are all wrong. Just ready to see a preseason game.

I agree. How can a team that didn't make it out of the regional, lost key players be considered the best team in the country? Youth on the roster does not typically translate to on court success especially early in the season. Maybe they know something we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    That ranking is downright funny. Bellarmine may end up a top 20 team by the end of the season, but unless the freshmen are extremely special players, this is likely to be the least successful BU team in 6 or 7 years. I am not down on the team in general and I am optimistic for the future, but this is going to look more like a rebuilding year.

Actually, this ranking is bad news, it just gives more motivation to our early opponents.
    I was actually really glad to see Augustana not showing up in any preseason top 25 rankings so far. Usually the previous year's NC is automatically thrown up there in the top 5-10 the following season. Seems some people have done their research and realized that this year will look vastly different next year after losing our #1, #2 and #13 all-time leading scorers in school history. Tough to recruit National Championship-caliber talent to come in and ride the bench for 2-3 years behind other National Championship-caliber talent, and I think that's going to show for at least one season. Hopefully we're back to that Elite Eight level after a year or two though. We have good young guys, but we might not be there this year.

That being said, I think Bellarmine does still return some pretty ridiculous talent, and Davenport has proven to be a consistently impressive coach year-in and year-out, so I won't be shocked if the Knights get it together faster than you guys are nervous about. Then again, you know much more about your squad than I do.

4. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

To me this shows how strong the Bellarmine brand is. The expectation has become Bellarmine is going to be an elite program every year.

Quote Originally Posted by #1KnightFan View Post
    I agree. How can a team that didn't make it out of the regional, lost key players be considered the best team in the country? Youth on the roster does not typically translate to on court success especially early in the season. Maybe they know something we don't.

5. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Kudos

6. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Congratulation to both BU teams. Chance has done a masterful job and your men's team has been consistently good.

Quote Originally Posted by bkingbroker View Post
    To me this shows how strong the Bellarmine brand is. The expectation has become Bellarmine is going to be an elite program every year.
    Yes I am afraid we have gotten West Liberty status. WL status is the automatic position on the top 5 of the polls without any real evidence that the team is good. WL tends to back it up during the season but the fact is in the beginning in many seasons there is no evidence that they will be the same caliber team as before. Its just their system (and just to be a little condescending, their bunny schedule) makes them an easy pick for the top of the polls.

Not sure Saginaw or Northwood needed the added incentive to beat BU. SVSU has to know they are close to the top and to beat BU right away will give them a leg up on being No. 1 seed. Northwood has to know they need a big win to even get into the regional. It may bump up attendance some at those games at least.

Not sure the pre-season ranking will matter much by the time of the HOF games. I'm sure they won't be No. 1 by then.

I remember BU opened a cool-looking new weight room in Knights Hall a year or two ago. New performance and physical therapy section just opened up as well:
    https://www.facebook.com/scott.wiega...55436239668079
    https://twitter.com/BUKnightsAD/stat...97953668030464

here's my guess at our starting line up
    PG- Davis
    2G Bach
    SF- Troutman
    PF- Eberhart
    C- Weyer

can easily see Jenkins, Fredrick or Cook start at different times this year
    it may be wishful thinking about Bach but I think he has the greatest up side

Quote Originally Posted by BUFAN View Post
    PG- Davis
    2G Bach
    SF- Troutman
    PF- Eberhart
    C- Weyer

I concur. Would love to see meaningful contributions from Hunter and/or Ramser as well.

PG- Davis
    2G Bach
    SF- Troutman
    PF- Eberhart
    C- Weyer

I'm guessing that Fredrick will get the nod over Bach, but I agree that Bach may have the higher upside. I think both are capable of putting some points on the board. My guess is that defense will be the deciding factor, but neither one of them is a lock down defender. I hope you are right about Weyer starting. I think it would be a great sign if Cook is starting. I have to believe he will be playing significant minutes regardless of who starts.

It will be interesting to see what kind of condition Taylor is in to start the season. If he is at 235 or 240 it will show me that he is serious about contributing right away.

Not sure if the starters in the exhibition games will be the starters for the first real game.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 10-10-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    Yes I am afraid we have gotten West Liberty status. WL status is the automatic position on the top 5 of the polls without any real evidence that the team is good. WL tends to back it up during the season but the fact is in the beginning in many seasons there is no evidence that they will be the same caliber team as before. Its just their system (and just to be a little condescending, their bunny schedule) makes them an easy pick for the top of the polls.
    If I can interject--I do agree that WL has that 'automatically in the Top 7 every pre-season" status..They lost the D2 POY and they are #1 in Sporting News? That's good for the program, but pretty hard to justity.

I do agree they have always backed it up...and the 'schedule-makers' just might contribute to it, as well....

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    If I can interject--I do agree that WL has that 'automatically in the Top 7 every pre-season" status..They lost the D2 POY and they are #1 in Sporting News? That's good for the program, but pretty hard to justity.

I do agree they have always backed it up...and the 'schedule-makers' just might contribute to it, as well....
    A quick question for you: If West Liberty played in the GLVC, had to deal with Bellarmine, Drury, UWP, etc., do you believe their preseason status in national polls would suffer a tad? Bellarmine and Drury have won national titles in recent years, UWP has been very good.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPride View Post
    A quick question for you: If West Liberty played in the GLVC, had to deal with Bellarmine, Drury, UWP, etc., do you believe their preseason status in national polls would suffer a tad? Bellarmine and Drury have won national titles in recent years, UWP has been very good.
    Fair question...seems like you're asking more about preseason rankings---and yes, I do think WL would NOT be a constant pre-season Top 5 if they were in the GLVC...So, yes their preseason status would suffer.

That being said, I think they've gotten the "only fatten up on weaklings of their region" monkey off their back, with their showings in recent E8's prove that...Crushed Winona St, Beat Drury, Beat USC Aiken. Lost to Metro St, Central Missouri and Lincoln Memorial, and were not at all out of their league in any of those games. They have been a top 10 program, consistently, and have earned it. Of course, now the bugaboo is getting over the hump and winning it all...but they are always there. Besides, the Atlantic region has had the national runner-up 2 of the last 3 years, so it's no weak sister.

Quote Originally Posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
    Fair question...seems like you're asking more about preseason rankings---and yes, I do think WL would NOT be a constant pre-season Top 5 if they were in the GLVC...So, yes their preseason status would suffer.

That being said, I think they've gotten the "only fatten up on weaklings of their region" monkey off their back, with their showings in recent E8's prove that...Crushed Winona St, Beat Drury, Beat USC Aiken. Lost to Metro St, Central Missouri and Lincoln Memorial, and were not at all out of their league in any of those games. They have been a top 10 program, consistently, and have earned it. Of course, now the bugaboo is getting over the hump and winning it all...but they are always there. Besides, the Atlantic region has had the national runner-up 2 of the last 3 years, so it's no weak sister.
    I agree with you on everything you said. I love West Liberty's style of play with all the pressing and fast-paced offense. They are fun to watch. Bellarmine, Drury, UWP, sometimes UIndy and USI would be very tough match ups for West Liberty on the road. I think West Liberty has a great head coach, BTW.

17. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

PG- Davis
    2G Bach
    SF- Troutman
    PF- Eberhart
    C- Weyer

I think it's going to be near impossible to guess the other two starters this year. It could even be that we start different lineups each game until we find something that works and even if we found that lineup I would still expect pretty balanced minutes especially at that 2 guard and at the second big spot. I would suspect the 5 will be Knott at least to start the season, not necessarily getting more than 15 minutes a game but just to have a guy with some experience to start the game.

I will also be interested in seeing how the defense works this year without Suggs blocking shots. I wonder if there will be any new schemes to pick up that slack. I doubt we ever see a Scotty Davenport team in zone though.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthead View Post
    I think it's going to be near impossible to guess the other two starters this year. It could even be that we start different lineups each game until we find something that works and even if we found that lineup I would still expect pretty balanced minutes especially at that 2 guard and at the second big spot. I would suspect the 5 will be Knott at least to start the season, not necessarily getting more than 15 minutes a game but just to have a guy with some experience to start the game.

I will also be interested in seeing how the defense works this year without Suggs blocking shots. I wonder if there will be any new schemes to pick up that slack. I doubt we ever see a Scotty Davenport team in zone though.
    I have said for awhile now that Knott will be starting at least for the non-conference schedule. I agree he will probably only be 7th or 8th in minutes played but he will get the start. I was also thinking about Jenkins being the starting #2 depending on his defensive ability and his shooting. The problem with not having a Suggs backing them up, the guards will have to stay locked on in defense. Frederick and Bach have improved vastly but if Jenkins is better on defense he may get the nod.

I think that block shots will be the reason that Weyer will be the eventual starter. I think it may be around the Lincoln Memorial game. He is the one player on the team,(Taylor at some later date) who has the ability to be a decent shot blocker. He won't be any Suggs, for sure, but we don't get the all-time leading shot blocker every year.

So has official practice started? If not when? I haven't seen anything about the "Morning Madness" Scotty has promoted in the past. Would like to catch that and some official practices to get a feel for whom Scotty may be leaning towards in playing time.

20. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    I have said for awhile now that Knott will be starting at least for the non-conference schedule. I agree he will probably only be 7th or 8th in minutes played but he will get the start. I was also thinking about Jenkins being the starting #2 depending on his defensive ability and his shooting. The problem with not having a Suggs backing them up, the guards will have to stay locked on in defense. Frederick and Bach have improved vastly but if Jenkins is better on defense he may get the nod.

I think that block shots will be the reason that Weyer will be the eventual starter. I think it may be around the Lincoln Memorial game. He is the one player on the team,(Taylor at some later date) who has the ability to be a decent shot blocker. He won't be any Suggs, for sure, but we don't get the all-time leading shot blocker every year.
    Would love to see Weyer come in and affect the game in any way he can. I generally think that is all you can ask from a freshman. I also think Eberhard has the skill set to be a solid shot blocker. He's so long and has great body control. I remember him getting several last year. My only concern is him getting into foul trouble, which we cannot have from him, Troutman or Davis.

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast