Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Looking at the offensive stats, it seems like it's hard to justify not playing Brent Bach more. Other than Eberhard, he would appear to have the highest offensive efficiency on the team. Of course, that is only offense.

USI and Bellarmine should not take Martin-Methodist too lightly. They are only 5-6 but against a good NAIA schedule. My biggest concern is a close loss to Georgetown. Georgetown looks to have their usual very good team this season (10-1 and ranked #2 in NAIA). The close loss to Georgetown is enough to tell me that this team is not Midway or Ohio Valley. Georgetown would beat Midway or OVU by 50. I know that score comparisons are not precise, but it does tell me that Martin-Methodist is not one of the three blind mice.

Also, as long as we are comparing scores, KSU beat Springfield at Springfield much worse than BU or USI did.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    USI and Bellarmine should not take Martin-Methodist too lightly. They are only 5-6 but against a good NAIA schedule. My biggest concern is a close loss to Georgetown. Georgetown looks to have their usual very good team this season (10-1 and ranked #2 in NAIA). The close loss to Georgetown is enough to tell me that this team is not Midway or Ohio Valley. Georgetown would beat Midway or OVU by 50. I know that score comparisons are not precise, but it does tell me that Martin-Methodist is not one of the three blind mice.

Also, as long as we are comparing scores, KSU beat Springfield at Springfield much worse than BU or USI did.
    UIS is just one strange outfit. I think they got particularly hot against BU and threw in several 3's from guys who can't usually shoot from 10 feet. Still think KSU is not much to worry about. Martin-Methodist will not be much better but at least they both will be better than Ohio Valley. I still think BU has several intramural teams that are better than OVU. I think BU and USI win both games with about a 20 point margin.

Scouting out future opponent Lincoln Memorial last night on ESPN3. I only watched the first half, but Lincoln is very athletic. They are a bit on the undisciplined side, however. There wasn't a three that they would pass up, even though they could score at will down low against a much inferior Wingate team. Defensively, they played pretty loose, although they may have been because Wingate was not very disciplined on offense either. I can see how a team like UAH could put it to them. BU can win that game on the defensive end. Shut down their one good three point shooter and cut off the one on one penetration moves that LMU invariably makes if the 3 is not there. It should be an interesting game.

4. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

Looking at the offensive stats, it seems like it's hard to justify not playing Brent Bach more. Other than Eberhard, he would appear to have the highest offensive efficiency on the team. Of course, that is only offense.
    I agree with your assessment and I think we need the scoring and he has gotten much better defensively. I think given the opportunity and confidence his overall game would improve quickly. I also think he and Coles playing together compliment one another nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason View Post
    I agree with your assessment and I think we need the scoring and he has gotten much better defensively. I think given the opportunity and confidence his overall game would improve quickly. I also think he and Coles playing together compliment one another nicely.
    It's hard to get these guards a whole lot of minutes. The truth is everybody on the team has played above expectations, except for Rusty (who had extremely high expectations coming in) and the guys who have been hurt. Davis, Jenkins, Coles, Bach and of course, Eberhard, have played awfully well.

6. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I'm pretty okay with the way Rusty is playing right now. He may not be averaging a whole lot scoring-wise, but he is always going to be at the top of the other team's scouting report. Defenses will keep being adjusted to stop him and Eberhard will keep taking advantage. Teams will not come off of Rusty all year and that opens up driving and cutting lanes for Eberhard and others. Eberhard has shown Jake Thelen-like qualities of being in the right position to score. In a way they are pretty similar. Not flashy or making any incredible moves on their own, but great positioning and always finishing on open looks. As long as they keep hitting open looks, the team should be fine. This is something that hurt them last year. Rusty was great and Suggs was certainly capable, but when teams took away those two and dared other guys to beat them (see Drury loss), our guys really struggled. This year's squad has managed to avoid that so far despite Rusty struggling to put up points.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthead View Post
    I'm pretty okay with the way Rusty is playing right now. He may not be averaging a whole lot scoring-wise, but he is always going to be at the top of the other team's scouting report. Defenses will keep being adjusted to stop him and Eberhard will keep taking advantage. Teams will not come off of Rusty all year and that opens up driving and cutting lanes for Eberhard and others. Eberhard has shown Jake Thelen-like qualities of being in the right position to score. In a way they are pretty similar. Not flashy or making any incredible moves on their own, but great positioning and always finishing on open looks. As long as they keep hitting open looks, the team should be fine. This is something that hurt them last year. Rusty was great and Suggs was certainly capable, but when teams took away those two and dared other guys to beat them (see Drury loss), our guys really struggled. This year's squad has managed to avoid that so far despite Rusty struggling to put up points.
    Rusty has not played poorly, he simply has not made shots that he has been making in previous seasons. He also is not getting to the line like he has in the past. Some of this may be due to his ankle injury, although it seems to have been an issue even before the injury. I may be dead wrong, but he seems to have changed his shooting stroke. It looks much quicker and shorter. I do not know if that is intentional in an attempt to quicken his release, or whether it's involuntary. He has been short on many open three point attempts. He has picked up his floor game, and has made a bunch of great passes and his effort is always extraordinary. All of this may not be bad, because it is showing the other guys that they can win without Rusty carrying the scoring load.

8. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

To be fair, I've never thought of Rusty as a true scorer. He certainly can fill it up, but I think he benefits from being in the ideal offense and situation for a guy like him. As for not shooting well, I think it's more of a matter of him shooting under more pressure than he did last year. He had a target on him last year but he has that big ole All-American target on his chest now. He may be rushing his shot a little bit, but he's going to have a game where he breaks out of it a little bit. Really, his stats are just fine. Shooting 45 from the floor which isn't great but over 40 from 3 is not all that bad (that would be the best season Derksen ever had from 3). It is nice knowing that this is a slump for him and he is still shooting pretty well.

9. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

will be in attendance at the Bellarmine classic. Although it won't be as entertaining as watching my Panthers, I am excited to see live college ball again (and to see if BU, USI live up to the rankings)

10. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

First half of game tonight was ok, given the undermanned opposition. Second half not very good. Rusty reinjured ankle trying to drive into a crowd hoping to draw a foul (the kind of thing he feasted on in prior years), no foul, no basket, he landed on his feet and turned his ankle. Weyer was wearing a wrap of some sort on his right hand and wrist as if he had injured his middle finger on his shooting hand. I don't remember seeing him wear that before. Am I wrong? Cook, Weyer and Ramser had flashes where they showed some promise. Davis showing a good shooting touch. Second half defense for Knights was lousy. Also too many turnovers. Lincoln on the road will be a real test. The REAL REAL test may be when we play Quincy and Truman on the road then a few nights later play USI on the road.

I'm posting this on the BU thread instead of USI's because I'd like to know you guys' thoughts.

It's always interesting to me to compare Bellarmine and USI based on the fact that they play a very similar schedule. I know you can't always compare results based solely on scores, but I'm going to look at that here anyways. We've played 6 mutual opponents now, and the only two of them were a different home/away/neutral status (KY State and MM were neutral for USI and home for BU)

FLORIDA SOUTHERN: USI 108-94, BU 97-61
    MCKENDREE: USI 104-58, BU 95-66
    UIS: USI 86-75, BU 67-63
    OHIO VALLEY: USI 103-48, BU 75-45
    KENTUCKY STATE: USI 95-68, BU 93-75
    MARTIN METHODIST: USI 100-62, BU 83-67

The most interesting thing to me is that USI has had a better offense in all of these games, and we've split 3-3 on who has allowed the least points scored. FSC is the notable exception on defense, but USI was also without Bobo for the first several games, although I don't think that he's really our best defender anyways. (Has BU been in full force all season? I don't know.)

It seems that most polls are ranking BU well ahead of USI for now, and I assume that this has to do with the fact that BU has played a couple of good teams. But USI has been more convincing to me on putting away these weaker teams and keeping on the gas.

I haven't really watched any BU games this season - do they have a habit of playing down to their competition? We used to have a big problem with that the past several years but it seems like they've finally figured out how to really put a team away.

If you watched USI this weekend, how do you think they compare in a head-to-head game with BU?

very impressed with USI this weekend. guards maybe the best in the league and the big man can be tough to handle. I think USI is better than we are right now,but this is as good as they are going to be. BU freshmen centers missed a lot of pre season practice and will get better, Weyer didn't practice until the season was 2 weeks in. If he and Taylor improve then we will be a contender

Happy at KWC says USI is the best team in the country because of their guard play. If their bigs get the job done USI might win the national championship. Long way till March but USI and Bellarmine look like two teams to beat in Midwest. KWC can play with either, but can they beat them if regional played in Evansville or Louisville is question. USI has a chance to go unbeaten in regular season it appears or maybe just lose once (at Bellarmine). Bellarmine could do same. KWC could win the rest of their games, will be interesting to see if committee penalizes them for losing in Evansville is so.

USI has certainly played well. Score comparison of mutual opponents when the mutual opponents are terrible is not particularly enlightening. Scotty said that USI might be the best team in the country right now, although he is subject to hyperbole when it comes to teams on the Bellarmine schedule. I think USI has not been defended this year in a way anything close to what Bellarmine will do. Jeril Taylor is a good scorer, but I think he is prone to poor shot selection, which really only shows up when you play a good defensive team. Bellarmine's defense is especially good at the guard positions, which is obviously a plus playing USI. Stein is probably the best player in the GLVC right now, although there is some good competition, including Adam Eberhard, whose all around game has been fantastic. I expect BU and USI to split their games, but the one advantage BU will have going into the first game will be that Bellarmine will have played several very good teams (SVSU, UAH, and LM) while USI's sole competition at this point has been KWC. There will be very little need for speculation after they both play the 5 game stretch in January versus QU, TSU, UWP, Lewis, and each other. If either of them can come through that stretch at 4-1or better, I like that team's chances of winning the division and having a pathway to the #1 seed.

IMO talk of either BU or USI winning out is silliness. As far as Bellarmine is concerned, the very best I would expect is to lose 3 more games. If they do that they would probably be no worse than the #2 seed in the region. More realistic would be 4 or 5 more losses. A six loss season would put them in the middle of a wide open regional.

Schauntza, BU really has been nothing close to full strength. Rusty Troutman did not play in the FSC game and has been hampered by injury when he has played. Probably the biggest injury has been to freshman Ben Weyer who is just now playing and practiicing after a fairly serious foot injury. He represents both size and scoring and he may be starting before the season is over, although his injury has put him behind. The other big freshman, Caleb Taylor, has also been hurt most of the season and is just now getting back into playing shape.
    Last edited by Knightmoves; 12-19-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Just looked at the schedule again. Why is BU playing Truman on a Friday night? They have their 3 toughest conference road games in 5 days with 2 of them back to back nights. Playing Quincy first and then Truman the next night is going to be rough. Truman has to do the same but they are at home at least. The one slight advantage to playing Friday is that it gives an extra day to get ready for USI. May actually afford them the benefit of coming back to Louisville before playing USI on Monday, although that will be a very short stay.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightStalker View Post
    Just looked at the schedule again. Why is BU playing Truman on a Friday night? They have their 3 toughest conference road games in 5 days with 2 of them back to back nights. Playing Quincy first and then Truman the next night is going to be rough. Truman has to do the same but they are at home at least. The one slight advantage to playing Friday is that it gives an extra day to get ready for USI. May actually afford them the benefit of coming back to Louisville before playing USI on Monday, although that will be a very short stay.
    It's because TSU is playing Creighton in exhibition on Saturday.

I noticed that Creighton exhibition on the schedule the other day and though that is the dumbest piece of scheduling, especially by Creighton, that I have ever seen. What is the point of a D1 v. D2 exhibition in the middle of the already over booked January schedule? I can't believe that Scotty is happy about the scheduling. It has to be a much bigger advantage for the home team. I can only hope that the Creighton game will act as a distraction for TSU.

BTW, if I were the coach of either team in that exhibition, I would only play the deepest part of my bench.

I noticed that Creighton exhibition on the schedule the other day and though that is the dumbest piece of scheduling, especially by Creighton, that I have ever seen. What is the point of a D1 v. D2 exhibition in the middle of the already over booked January schedule? I can't believe that Scotty is happy about the scheduling. It has to be a much bigger advantage for the home team. I can only hope that the Creighton game will act as a distraction for TSU.

BTW, if I were the coach of either team in that exhibition, I would only play the deepest part of my bench.
    It certainly makes for an interesting and brutal weekend for Truman. USI on Thursday, BU on Friday, and Creighton on Saturday.

If I were Truman's coach, I wouldn't even be THINKING about Saturday's game until the day of. The implications of the two prior games are tremendous in terms of conference and regional seeding.

Obviously a tough game coming up against Lincoln Memorial. I am very surprised that LM has 3 losses at this point in the season considering that they probably have as talented a team as there is in D2. (BTW, Newberry shot 47 3's against them and made 20, not sure if I have ever seen a game where a team shot that many 3's). It would appear that LM's problems have been defensive, but they certainly have the length and quickness to play good defense. I see the game as similar to the SVSU game. Bellarmine played a terrible second half, offensively. Because of turnovers and offensive rebounding by SVSU, Bellarmine had 13 fewer shots and 10 fewer free throws than SVSU. The amazing thing is that BU only lost be two. Bellarmine's game is based on high shooting percentage on offensive, with a low shooting percentage on defense. That doesn't work if you give up a whole lot more possessions to the other team. So priorities No. 1 and No. 1a are defensive rebounding and limiting turnovers.

It will be interesting to see how Scotty breaks up the minutes in the front court. Weyer has been quite efficient in the games he has played since his return, but that has been against very weak competition. Cook has shown himself to be a capable scorer and rebounder and has managed to cut down his turnovers. George Knott has not shown much scoring or rebounding in his almost 20 mpg. I assume that Coach prefers his defense, although both Cook and Weyer have much longer reach and shot blocking ability. I think this team will be better with George playing 10 mpg, not 20. I would also like to see Rusty playing the 2 some, and have Cook, Weyer, and Eberhard in the game at the same time. That would be a pretty long team, but Eberhard and Cook have good quickness and should be able to defend. I do think that Weyer's quickness is a real question mark, but I am not sure that we have seen him at 100% healthy this season.

The depth at guard has been excellent so far. Davis has been great, but the good news is that he does not have to play 35 minutes for this team.

20. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I'm pretty happy with Knott's contribution so far. He hasn't put up any big numbers but I think the team is better with him on the court. I know the freshman are talented and by the end of the season I would like them to be playing a bit more but they do make a lot of mistakes. Knott is solid. He is not gonna go for thirty, but he plays solid defense and finishes lay ups. He has passed the ball extremely well too. I think all of that comes with playing in Scotty's system for four years.

For right now, especially against a team like Lincoln Memorial, I'd like him to continue playing the same amount. LMU is going to try to get BU out of their offense early and I think keeping experience players on the floor will be important. Towards the end of the season, I think his minutes will drop once the freshman have a few more tough games under their belt.

Totally agree on Davis. He is playing like the guard I was hoping he would be last year. They could have really used his scoring punch. He seems like he is playing with a ton of confidence which seems to be the key for most of these guys.

Looking back on last year, how much better off would this year's team be if Eberhard and Knott taken Derksen's minutes? I think that would have made last year's team even better too.