Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2063

Thread: New bellarmine thread

Contribute to D2

Default Re: New bellarmine thread

So will we still be allowed to post on a d2 messageboard after our big "strategic " announcement tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    So will we still be allowed to post on a d2 messageboard after our big "strategic " announcement tomorrow?
    Ya'll will always be welcome here.

Well, I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but my hot take is Bell fans can say goodbye to being nationally relevant in any major sport. Best of luck to you guys.

Boom. Love it, and this move is about more than just being competitive on the court, field, track, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UFOILERFAN View Post
    Ya'll will always be welcome here.
    Thanks! I have a feeling at least some of us old-timers will still check in regularly.

Welcome to the ASUN, Knights!

Other than Lipscomb, UNA in Florence, AL will be your closest distance to a conference rival. It's a spread out conference but has been fun to watch this past year.

The best part is that you'll get to compete for conference championships immediately (not the case for most other DI conferences) and even certain postseason tournaments during the transition. North Alabama made it to the conference title game in women's soccer this past year while the women's basketball team was invited to the Women's CBI and made it to the semis of that postseason tournament - even hosting the first round.

Best of luck in your last season of D2!
    Last edited by UNALions; 06-17-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNALions View Post

Other than Belmont, UNA in Florence, AL will be your closest distance to a conference rival. It's a spread out conference but has been fun to watch this past year.

The best part is that you'll get to compete for conference championships immediately (not the case for most other DI conferences) and even certain postseason tournaments during the transition. North Alabama made it to the conference title game in women's soccer this past year while the women's basketball team was invited to the Women's CBI and made it to the semis of that postseason tournament - even hosting the first round.

You mean David L Lipscomb not Belmont.

8. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

On the subject of recruiting once BU becomes D1, I noticed that the recently announced GLVC all academic teams, as expected there were many men and women's golf, swimming, CC, T&F, Soccer teams across the conference, but if I checked correctly, only one school had their men's basketball team make the list....and that was BU with a team GPA of 3.55. I've always felt good about the guys Davenport recruits as being the kind of kids with their head on straight. I wonder if when you start recruiting kids to play D1 basketball is that going to lower the bar a little? I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
    You mean David L Lipscomb not Belmont.
    Lol. Yes. Old age setting in. Lipscomb went really far in the NIT. But their coach just left for Belmont (his alma mater). Yet, they hired UAH's coach (very good).

Other than Lipscomb, UNA in Florence, AL will be your closest distance to a conference rival. It's a spread out conference but has been fun to watch this past year.

Thanks! It's an exciting time, to be sure. I'm hoping to get over to the press conference on Tuesday, but it is supposed to be streamed on ESPN+.

I think Scotty will have men's hoops competitive and in the NIT or CBI at some point even during the transition period; that alone will garner more of a marketing push/national interest than winning another D-II championship. In my opinion, those who complain about not being able to win another "national title" are guilty of the risk-averse thinking which has let Louisville as a city get lapped by peers such as Indianapolis, Nashville, and Columbus (OH). Pertinent to my career, for example, those other cities have a far better tech scene.
    Last edited by BellarmineGrad; 06-17-2019 at 11:12 PM.

One aspect I had not considered but was pointed out in some of the articles I read, is that a source of income will be the road share of regular season games from big time D1 schools. I think Scotty's connections with major programs will be a big benefit. We may be the sacrificial lamb for some Power 5 teams, but we'll cry all the way to the bank. I see a road trip to UCLA in our future.

Press Conference: http://www.espn.com/watch/?id=11f0f1...4-1694241f01d8

PS...you'll want to sign up for ESPN+ next year as almost every conference game in most sports are broadcast there.

Congrats Bellarmine. I'm a Cedarville guy, but my daughter goes to Liberty. See you on the other side!

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    Thanks! It's an exciting time, to be sure. I'm hoping to get over to the press conference on Tuesday, but it is supposed to be streamed on ESPN+.

I think Scotty will have men's hoops competitive and in the NIT or CBI at some point even during the transition period; that alone will garner more of a marketing push/national interest than winning another D-II championship. In my opinion, those who complain about not being able to win another "national title" are guilty of the risk-averse thinking which has let Louisville as a city get lapped by peers such as Indianapolis, Nashville, and Columbus (OH). Pertinent to my career, for example, those other cities have a far better tech scene.
    I'm excited to see the Knights join the conference. However, men's basketball is probably the most competitive sport in the ASUN. I think Bellarmine will be an awesome addition and compete well. One note, post-season tournament eligibility during the transition is only to non-NCAA sanctioned tournaments. That varies by sport. For example, the NIT is NCAA sanctioned but the CBI isn't. Yet, the Women's NIT is not either.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightmoves View Post
    One aspect I had not considered but was pointed out in some of the articles I read, is that a source of income will be the road share of regular season games from big time D1 schools. I think Scotty's connections with major programs will be a big benefit. We may be the sacrificial lamb for some Power 5 teams, but we'll cry all the way to the bank. I see a road trip to UCLA in our future.
    Yes, this was a big help to UNA's first year of transition. The men's hoops teams earned more money than ever because of this aspect. They were paid well to travel to several bigger DI programs including Gonzaga, Saint Louis, Pitt, Toledo, etc.

There's an ASUN message board that isn't very active but there are a few folks there wanting to welcome you all to the conference.

https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-322.html

Good announcement and Q&A. Folks there appear excited!

I took pride when he singled out every flag of current member institutions and explained that each one had a post-season tournament win this past year in at least one sport. He also mentioned UNA's conference title game appearance in women's soccer.

This next season will likely be a bit awkward knowing it's the last in D2 but enjoy those final games with conference rivals, etc. It will be bittersweet from that perspective.

There's an ASUN message board that isn't very active but there are a few folks there wanting to welcome you all to the conference.

https://www.csnbbs.com/forum-322.html
    Thanks again! I actually signed up last night, but think my account request needs approval by an admin.

The press conference was a lot of fun and was very well-attended. As far as post-season eligibility, I believe Scotty said that, even during the first year as a D-I, BU could compete for an NIT bid, as well as the CBI, etc.

19. Default Re: New bellarmine thread

I’ve heard NIT and CBI, are both tournaments that 1st year DIs could qualify for.

That helps recruiting tremendously compared to having to wait 4yrs to qualify for any tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by BellarmineGrad View Post
    Thanks again! I actually signed up last night, but think my account request needs approval by an admin.

The press conference was a lot of fun and was very well-attended. As far as post-season eligibility, I believe Scotty said that, even during the first year as a D-I, BU could compete for an NIT bid, as well as the CBI, etc.

Congrats to BU!
    This just makes me wonder what the USI administration's response will be. Do they just accept the status quo knowing we will be the big fish in the now-smaller pond, or follow BU's lead using the new facilities as a springboard and seek a D1 invite somewhere?